Dennis O v JRB $100k middle

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
If I had that kind of cash, absolutely. For 10K? I've got that liquid right now, so if Roy wants to throw a 580 Fargorate (giggle) in with Orcollo at that game, I'm his huckleberry.. It's all relative to one's income. It's not like 50K is a huge amount of money for JRB.

Played Scott Frost in the One Pocket at Derby this year, and I like my chances to get to 4 against a top player who needs 13 or more. If I lose, I lose.

No way in hell I'd play him at my current weight, though. JRB would probably also do better at a lower weight. He was pretty hefty when I saw him last.

No way Roy is backing JRB, is he? JRB has his own cash.

Roy has DO in his stable

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I had that kind of cash, absolutely. For 10K? I've got that liquid right now, so if Roy wants to throw a 580 Fargorate (giggle) in with Orcollo at that game, I'm his huckleberry.. It's all relative to one's income. It's not like 50K is a huge amount of money for JRB.

Played Scott Frost in the One Pocket at Derby this year, and I like my chances to get to 4 against a top player who needs 13 or more. If I lose, I lose.

No way in hell I'd play him at my current weight, though. JRB would probably also do better at a lower weight. He was pretty hefty when I saw him last.

A simple “no” would suffice.

Lou Figueroa

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
No way Roy is backing JRB, is he? JRB has his own cash.

Roy has DO in his stable

That's what I meant. I'd play DO that way in a heartbeat. I haven't played that many pros in One Pocket, but 14/4, 13/4?? Based upon my results against them, not being particularly in shape, and not particularly in stroke, I'd love my chances with proper prep.

Let's just say I'd feel more comfortable playing Orcollo 14/4, 13/4, than I would playing JRB even.

The money doesn't mean anything to JRB, so he'll be freewheeling. If I pop a quick 4 outta nowhere against Orcollo and move well, now he's got something to think about.

My high run against the One Pocket ghost (Diamond Pro/Am with funky red label rails) is 14. Nobody knows me from Adam, because I just don't PLAY enough. :)

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member
A simple “no” would suffice.

Lou Figueroa

Don't make me offer you an even game, Lou. Even laying down on Barton like you did... I'm a tougher game than he is/was.

Wouldn't take me a corporation to put up 10K, like some people. Doesn't make me a nit for not having 50K liquid.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's what I meant. I'd play DO that way in a heartbeat. I haven't played that many pros in One Pocket, but 14/4, 13/4?? Based upon my results against them, not being particularly in shape, and not particularly in stroke, I'd love my chances with proper prep.

Let's just say I'd feel more comfortable playing Orcollo 14/4, 13/4, than I would playing JRB even.

The money doesn't mean anything to JRB, so he'll be freewheeling. If I pop a quick 4 outta nowhere against Orcollo and move well, now he's got something to think about.

My high run against the One Pocket ghost (Diamond Pro/Am with funky red label rails) is 14. Nobody knows me from Adam, because I just don't PLAY enough. :)

We know you from AZ
You were leaving and never posting again, under "any" of your user names.
You started the apa screwed slienen thread with out any of your facts straight.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Don't make me offer you an even game, Lou. Even laying down on Barton like you did... I'm a tougher game than he is/was.

Wouldn't take me a corporation to put up 10K, like some people. Doesn't make me a nit for not having 50K liquid.

Give me till first week of Jan ~ and I'll jump in here too. Never played 1pckt but I'll have 2 months off to get ready.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
We know you from AZ

Doesn't make his money less green

...and we're on AZ, congratulations Columbo

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member
We know you from AZ

Good try, but I've become much less trollable as of late. I don't even respond to political posts on Facebook anymore!!!

Short Bus Russ

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If that's how big a spot he needs, he's nobody, and even if he bet $1,000,000 he would still be nobody. Similarly, Dennis is nobody in poker.

I tried to watch Scott Frost give a guy 22-3 a few years ago at the Derby for very high stakes. About twenty minutes of it was all I could stand.

It's hard to comprehend how good Dennis and the elite really are and the incredible pressure and awkward positions that can impose on even very good players in one pocket.

I've seen Dennis go back and forth giving a top local shortstop 14-6. So needing 14-4 puts a player at the strong local player level. Sure, that makes him a nobody in the sense of pros, but still probably a strong and well-regarded player.

wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If that's how big a spot he needs, he's nobody, and even if he bet $1,000,000 he would still be nobody. Similarly, Dennis is nobody in poker.

I tried to watch Scott Frost give a guy 22-3 a few years ago at the Derby for very high stakes. About twenty minutes of it was all I could stand.

Definitely not a nobody in the action pool world. If the were 100 more like him in the pool world the pool scene would be wild and exciting. He was a big action pool player before he became famous in poker. When he enters a poolroom the atmosphere changes.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Definitely not a nobody in the action pool world. If the were 100 more like him in the pool world the pool scene would be wild and exciting. He was a big action pool player before he became famous in poker. When he enters a poolroom the atmosphere changes.

He won 240k before I got done at the gym one morning. I'm sure he's had similar losses, but none of us NITS will EVER know what that's like. Not one top pro, mid pro, joe blow, can ever say that, especially on the regular.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It's hard to comprehend how good Dennis and the elite really are and the incredible pressure and awkward positions that can impose on even very good players in one pocket.

I've seen Dennis go back and forth giving a top local shortstop 14-6. So needing 14-4 puts a player at the strong local player level. Sure, that makes him a nobody in the sense of pros, but still probably a strong and well-regarded player.

Agreed. Obviously, the bet can go either way, but at 14-4 what they are betting is on is the extent of the massacre, and, to me, any match between a top pro and an amateur does not constitute top level pool.

That said, I respect anyone's right to be entertained by this kind of match.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think one thing people forget is when a top pro is giving up a big spot is that the player getting a big spot obviously makes a lot more mistakes. When u make a mistake against Dennis playing one pocket and he runs 8 or 10 balls now your playing basically even. That’s not going to go well for most amateurs.

I’ve seen JRB play a little and he plays pretty decent should be a good match.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

I like almost all your posts, you are kinda outta line on this one. This guy is huge FAIR action! It doesn't take top top play to influence a crowd and I miss being in Vegas watching this guy in action.

In all honesty, outside of D.O. Chohan, Shane, Billy, and a few others, I dont want to see any of it. You take Jeremy Jones out of the commentating and these matches just suck. JRB is good action and entertaining.

Sorry, lost my train of thought. If you saw this bartender, you wouldn't even be able to post the nonsense I do.

Jason

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I like almost all your posts, you are kinda outta line on this one. This guy is huge FAIR action! It doesn't take top top play to influence a crowd and I miss being in Vegas watching this guy in action.

In all honesty, outside of D.O. Chohan, Shane, Billy, and a few others, I dont want to see any of it. You take Jeremy Jones out of the commentating and these matches just suck. JRB is good action and entertaining.

Sorry, lost my train of thought. If you saw this bartender, you wouldn't even be able to post the nonsense I do.

Jason

In post 34 of this thread, I commented that I recognize that this match will be found to be entertaining by some, and that I was OK with that. We all have our own experiences, and I've watched good fair action like this at Derby City and didn't find it entertaining. Perhaps some others did. To each his own.

By the way, I like nearly all of your posts, too. You post with a good sense of the pro scene and the kind of enthusiasm for top level pool to which I can really relate.

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
In post 34 of this thread, I commented that I recognize that this match will be found to be entertaining by some, and that I was OK with that. We all have our own experiences, and I've watched good fair action like this at Derby City and didn't find it entertaining. Perhaps some others did. To each is own.

By the way, I like nearly all of your posts, too. You post with a good sense of the pro scene and the kind of enthusiasm for top level pool to which I can really relate.

Have I told you I love you lately? :thumbup:

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think Robert has a very slight edge in this game but that's just my opinion.