Allen Hopkins Pro turn-out??

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I just looked and while it is still early there are only 17 pros preregistered....

I had a conversation with a friend who is in the industry and is in constant contact with many professional players and he was worried about turn out based on the feedback he had been getting ...

With the economy the way it is and the smaller turn outs to the expo the last 2 years the added money was dropped from 20,000 which it was in like 2010 to 8,000... Apparently smaller purses may be keeping some from not making the trip???

I am in no way saying anything bad about Allen cutting the added monies.. It was likely something that he had to do.. I am just trying like heck to make it up there this year and am hoping they have a full field of Pros in the 10ball event.......

Does anyone recall if the numbers are always low until the last minute?? I think Turning Stone was full up over a month in advance but maybe the 2 events are not similar in sign up??

Chris

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know the expo had a record turn out last year for all the amateur tournaments last year and the pro field seemed pretty full but I can't speak for that

I just looked and while it is still early there are only 17 pros preregistered....

I had a conversation with a friend who is in the industry and is in constant contact with many professional players and he was worried about turn out based on the feedback he had been getting ...

With the economy the way it is and the smaller turn outs to the expo the last 2 years the added money was dropped from 20,000 which it was in like 2010 to 8,000... Apparently smaller purses may be keeping some from not making the trip???

I am in no way saying anything bad about Allen cutting the added monies.. It was likely something that he had to do.. I am just trying like heck to make it up there this year and am hoping they have a full field of Pros in the 10ball event.......

Does anyone recall if the numbers are always low until the last minute?? I think Turning Stone was full up over a month in advance but maybe the 2 events are not similar in sign up??

Chris

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Chris

John Schmidt posted in another thread that he wouldn't be attending. The drop in cash added to the purse makes it not worth the trip for him... I imagine that's the case for other pros as well. Not sure what the registration looked like three weeks in advance for the last two years.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Chris-

When Hopkins decided to make the pro event a BCA points event, he increased the added money from $20,000 to the required minimum of $25,000. I believe that was 3 years ago or so.

Now he has elected to be a non BCA points event. He has recognized the ABP and their miniumum is around $7,500. That is the reason the payouts have decreased.

I do not believe it has anything to do with attendence numbers at the Expo.

Mark Griffin

With the economy the way it is and the smaller turn outs to the expo the last 2 years the added money was dropped from 20,000 which it was in like 2010 to 8,000...

I am in no way saying anything bad about Allen cutting the added monies.. It was likely something that he had to do..

Chris

MJB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris-

When Hopkins decided to make the pro event a BCA points event, he increased the added money from $20,000 to the required minimum of $25,000. I believe that was 3 years ago or so.

Now he has elected to be a non BCA points event. He has recognized the ABP and their miniumum is around $7,500. That is the reason the payouts have decreased.

Mark Griffin

Mark,

Do you know why Allen chose to go non-BCA now? I recall an interview posted on AZ a while back with Johnny Archer discussing the ABP and BCA, and some friction between the recognized points events(?) Was that a factor?

Whatever the reason, it'll be unfortunate if some pros skip this one that would have played otherwise.

Mike

Reactions: JAM

POOLPLYR1111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
expo

speaking from experience the past 15+ years players (amateur and pro) are always signing up last minute.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
speaking from experience the past 15+ years players (amateur and pro) are always signing up last minute.

But that added $$ money reduction makes this a whole new ballgame. If they do get a good turnout, it will be from locals and pros who were going anyway imo.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Chris-

Mark Griffin

Thanks Mark that clarifies things quite a bit...

Glad to know the Expo is still chugging along... I know for many they make it their pool vacation each year..... I have never made it in past years but it's been on my bucket list and I am trying to get it to fit in my schedule since I have to be up there the week after anyway.....

Chris

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
I gotta say it cracks me up that the ABP who is supposedly all about making things better for the players sets their mandatory added money at one third of what the event was last year. The ABP has went from sad to funny to full retard. Can't wait for the next high level strategic move.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
I gotta say it cracks me up that the ABP who is supposedly all about making things better for the players sets their mandatory added money at one third of what the event was last year. The ABP has went from sad to funny to full retard. Can't wait for the next high level strategic move.

Sesame Street was my favorite show as a kid. Two of these things are the same --- ABP minimum sanctioning and the added money at the tournament with the bad poster.

attachment.php

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Sesame Street was my favorite show as a kid. Two of these things are the same --- ABP minimum sanctioning and the added money at the tournament with the bad poster.

There was a saying in the UAW whenever contract time came around. "NEVER give up something you already negotiated for and won." Why? Because you almost never get it back.

Good job racing to the bottom ABP.

As to the event that poster represents.....sometimes even I keep my mouth shut when I don't have something nice to say.

dpena

Registered
I thought the poster was cool. ABP is just trying to help pool players potentially make a better living. It is a rough way to make a living, these guys and Johnny are trying to do there best. I support them 100%.

huckster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Allen is a pretty smart cookie if he doesn't make money from something he doesn't do it main reason he moved onto other endeavors then playing.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark,

Do you know why Allen chose to go non-BCA now? I recall an interview posted on AZ a while back with Johnny Archer discussing the ABP and BCA, and some friction between the recognized points events(?) Was that a factor?

Whatever the reason, it'll be unfortunate if some pros skip this one that would have played otherwise.

Mike

I love your avatar. That is the cutest one I have seen in a long while. :cool:

One thing about Allen Hopkins is that he is always for the player first, and if something doesn't work well, he has no problem changing it to a better fit the next time. That's what I like about him.

One year at the Pro-Am event, at the last minute, Allen added $8,000 more to the total purse, just out of the blue. Shannon snatched the win and the most beautiful trophy I've ever seen. I still long for that doggone trophy, but it just wasn't in the stars for my horse that year.

What separates Allen Hopkins from the rest is that he actually still competes. Well, now that I think about it, Mike Zuglan does too, but only in Joss tournaments. Allen likes to travel and play pool. He truly loves playing the game and still gets a thrill when he's hiitting them well. One of the best finals I've ever witnessed on the tournament trail was Allen versus Ginky in the finals. I swear neither one of them made an error. It came down to the breaks. Allen with that punch stroke of his and Ginky with his long stroke. It was poetry in motion. You could drop a pin in the room, it was so quiet. Everybody was in the zone and appreciated seeing pool at its finest. :cool:

Allen Hopkins and James Tolkin at Joss Turning Stone event in 2003. :)

Attachments

• Hopkins and Tolkan.JPG
    Hopkins and Tolkan.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 627

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
If the players don't turn out for Allen, then I give up.

You make it sound like a charity.

If I told you that next year your job would pay 66% less would you show up ?

I'm not bagging on Allen here. He is one of the few guys in pool who has figured a way to make money and not get crucified for it. I personally hope he makes all kinds of money with the expo. That would at least show its possible. That doesnt change that a pro player has to make a decision on attending based on risk vs potential reward. I bet if you asked Allen if he would go to an event that cut its added by $16K from the year prior I know what he would say. I can't see how he could have ill will towards anyone who decided it didnt make sense. Allen is a business man. Its not personal its just business.

Last edited:

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
I thought the poster was cool. ABP is just trying to help pool players potentially make a better living. It is a rough way to make a living, these guys and Johnny are trying to do there best. I support them 100%.

Well if they keep getting tournaments changed from $25K added to $8K added the players standard of living should really improve.

Before ABP: $25K added

After ABP: $8K added.

TAR adds $4K-$6K for two guys. With no entry fees. And pays for hotel rooms. Hell if the ABP will play for $8K added every event we could have our own TAR Pro Tour.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Well the money dropped thanks to the ABP and now it is Single Elim best of three sets races to 8 each set. Practically the same format as the Amateur Open except the races are slightly longer.

I really cant blame them for not wanting to shoot in it. The money isnt serious, the races arent serious, why should the pros take it serious?

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
The one thing not mentioned in this thread is a root cause for the decrease in added money. No more points requirement for the Mosconi Cup team! If the team is chosen by the promoter based on his perception of player ability and promotion value, why would players travel long distances and pay expenses all for reduced added money when it has little meaning or benefit to them.

Lets be real here. The BCA points list was the motivator for lots of entries. Remember "Hillbilly" showing up at the Turning Stone one year. Complained bitterly at the players meeting the players chasing the BCA points were not seeded into the event (a TS fixture). The argument will be made the BCA points are still valuable. Just not sure to who? If SBE is affected, how will it affect the other events on the BCA calendar?

Lots of posters are willing to place all the blame on the ABP. Perhaps some deeper digging is required before blame is placed! Wasn't it a WPA requirement for a points event $25,000 added minimum?

Lyn