Would You Use a Training Tracker?

Would you use a training tracker program?

• Yes

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Hell no

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shinyballs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple of years ago I started working on a little database for tracking your training/drill results. You populate the thing yourself (.jpg file saved from the Wei table or where ever). You can track the category, date, attempts made and missed, and it calculates the percentages and overall % for all dates. It lets you print a blank log to take along to the pool hall in case you don't have a computer sitting next to the pool table (I do :D).

Anyway, I came across the old files today and was wondering how many people would actually use something like this. I am considering taking a little time to finish it up and giving it away for free to anybody that wants it.

I just want to get an idea of how much interest there is before I spend any time on it.

I've attached (attempted) a couple of screen shots.

Attachments

• shot1.jpg
    shot1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 92
  • shot2.jpg
    shot2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 78

Dawgie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I take it that these are actually practice drills and you track how many times it took you to make the shot and possibly how many times you made the shot?

Sounds pretty kewl. I guess you coud add the practice drills as you come across them.

I would interested in this set-up.

SoundWaves

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
shinyballs said:
A couple of years ago I started working on a little database for tracking your training/drill results. You populate the thing yourself (.jpg file saved from the Wei table or where ever). You can track the category, date, attempts made and missed, and it calculates the percentages and overall % for all dates. It lets you print a blank log to take along to the pool hall in case you don't have a computer sitting next to the pool table (I do :D).

Anyway, I came across the old files today and was wondering how many people would actually use something like this. I am considering taking a little time to finish it up and giving it away for free to anybody that wants it.

I just want to get an idea of how much interest there is before I spend any time on it.

I use a simple excel sheet to keep track of my daily drills. I like your concept, it looks like something I would do. Spend hours that I should have been practicing working on practice planning. I love to plan, make lists and such. Then never get to whats on the list, lol. Good luck, I like it and would try to use such a program daily.

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would definitely use it.....if it came with a really hot woman to enter the data.

Seriously though, I do think I would use it. It is good to know your strengths and weaknesses, and a lot of players will avoid some shots because they know they can only make the shot 50% of the time. Using a system that you mention, would help identify problem areas....and for those of us that run shot/scenario probabilities in our heads while playing, it would make our calculations more accurate. I think this will help with competition play when knowing your limitations will increase your probability of success.

I have started using the CueTable software to show shots/drills to other players, and I like it a lot. Before I was hand drawing stuff, and it was time consuming, if using a ruler, and I suck at free hand sketching.

I have found that the CueTable software has some limitations. In some cases, I wanted to make more text comments, but I think it only allows a certain amount of characters and text boxes. I would also like to be able to make clear boxes to simulate napkin drills. This would show the cue ball target areas. I also would like to draw multiple track lines from the cue ball.

Anyways, I would like to test it....if you finish it up.

midnightpulp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great idea.

If you plan on selling this, I also think it'd be convenient to include a number of "routine" shots with the program. Kind of like a high tech "99 Critical Shots in Pool" which we then could keep our progress of. You could even get together with an instructor or professional pool player and develop a workbook of shots and drills.

I would definitely pay for something like this. A Pokertracker for pool.

Bugz

Glutton for Punishment
Silver Member
midnightpulp said:
Great idea.

If you plan on selling this, I also think it'd be convenient to include a number of "routine" shots with the program. Kind of like a high tech "99 Critical Shots in Pool" which we then could keep our progress of. You could even get together with an instructor or professional pool player and develop a workbook of shots and drills.

I second that

it's a great idea

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
shinyballs said:

I'd even Beta test it.

cuetable

Line Up Your Best Shot!
Silver Member
okinawa77 said:
I have started using the CueTable software to show shots/drills to other players, and I like it a lot. Before I was hand drawing stuff, and it was time consuming, if using a ruler, and I suck at free hand sketching.

I have found that the CueTable software has some limitations. In some cases, I wanted to make more text comments, but I think it only allows a certain amount of characters and text boxes. I would also like to be able to make clear boxes to simulate napkin drills. This would show the cue ball target areas. I also would like to draw multiple track lines from the cue ball.

Anyways, I would like to test it....if you finish it up.

Hi
In the current version of CueTable, there is only one line associated to each balls. To achieve an effect of have multiple lines coming out of a single ball, you can try overlapping balls.

1, Put 3 balls on different spot of the table.
2, Draw 3 lines.
3, Click and drag the balls to move all balls to the same spot. You might want to use arrow keys to move a ball by the pixel distance.

For drawing boxes please check page 2 to 5 of the diagram :)

Also, please check CueTable Public Library > Resources > CueTable Software Lab > Workshop for interesting CueTable tips.

CueTable Help

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cuetable,

Yes, that is what I do for multiple lines, up to 3.

But for some drill diagrams, more would be helpful.

I guess I could show 3 lines on one page and another 3 lines on the second page, and so on and so forth. But it's nice to have a print out showing it all on 1 page. I guess I could just sketch the rest of the lines on a print out.

Thanks for the link for the workshop (tips). I'm checking it out, right now.

Last edited:

shinyballs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
midnightpulp said:
Great idea.

I thought about turning this into something I could sell at one point, but it's just too much work and I'd have to read too many programming books. No time or will on my part.

Anyway, there haven't been a ton of replies, but those that did were very positive.

I will try to polish it up and post it up somewhere for free download. I'll let everyone know.

Any ideas for things to include would be helpful. I'll also go ahead and include a few preloaded drills. Some drill ideas would be great, just remember copyrights, I don't want to have to get an attorney!
I