Cue computr can I keep or must it go ?

mastercueartist

Registered
Hey guys with all this stuff that I am getting rid of I got a new computer(6 months old) probibly outdated now (funny) this is the problem. I bought a commercial hp computor and had a program put in for the lathe and mill made by sherline. I never put the stepper moters on the lathe or mill.Can this program just be taken off this computer and put on a disk as the computer has a disc burner or do I have to let this whole thing go with all the cue stuff im selling for the lathe and mill?I am new to this computer thing can I not just still use this computer as a home computer?It was the best I could get and my brother said as it is almost 4 ghz I should let is go with the business and get a new one. I only play the games on pogo and read your replies here do I need this thing and can I keep the printer and all that for the new one .Any help in this matter would be greatly appriciated.It was intended for the cnc as I was going to teach a kid to make custom joint protectors with all my stuff and cnc exact duplicated desighns of whatever would be in any given cue.Please help!!! I realise this is not a cue issue in direct but it was set up for cues and im not sure what to do here.

shinyballs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mastercueartist said:
Hey guys with all this stuff that I am getting rid of I got a new computer(6 months old) probibly outdated now (funny) this is the problem. I bought a commercial hp computor and had a program put in for the lathe and mill made by sherline. I never put the stepper moters on the lathe or mill.Can this program just be taken off this computer and put on a disk as the computer has a disc burner or do I have to let this whole thing go with all the cue stuff im selling for the lathe and mill?I am new to this computer thing can I not just still use this computer as a home computer?It was the best I could get and my brother said as it is almost 4 ghz I should let is go with the business and get a new one. I only play the games on pogo and read your replies here do I need this thing and can I keep the printer and all that for the new one .Any help in this matter would be greatly appriciated.It was intended for the cnc as I was going to teach a kid to make custom joint protectors with all my stuff and cnc exact duplicated desighns of whatever would be in any given cue.Please help!!! I realise this is not a cue issue in direct but it was set up for cues and im not sure what to do here.

Your post was a little confusing, but I'll try to help.

I'm assuming these are Windows based computers.

You probably can't just copy the program, you'd need to reinstall it from the original disks. You could try though, it might work if it's a program that isn't dependent on other Windows system files.

You should be able to use the old printer and stuff with the new one.

You want to keep the old one for home use? You should be able to, but I'd need more info.

I'd be happy give you more advice if you can give me more info..

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sherline's CNC products, when bought as a complete turn-key, system are set up with EMC. That is the program that runs the stepper motors. EMC only runs on Linux. The entire Linux installation and EMC setup is available as a "Brain Dead Installation" for free download from Sherline's site and from www.linuxcnc.org

However, EMC is not the only program that will run a Sherline. There are a few window's programs (Mach 2) and DOS programs (TurboCNC) that are shareware (less than $150).

From what you said, it doesn't sound like you bought the turn-key system from Sherline. If that is true, I don't think it would be a problem to sell the cnc without the computer. Just make sure you state that.

Finally, a high-end computer is overkill for this application. The DOS programs run fine on a Pentium one. EMC runs ok on a Pentium 2 or 3. And the Window's based programs run fine on a mid-range Pentium 3.

mastercueartist

Registered
Thanks guys.I wanted a computer that would run the business and the equiptment. Your right I probibly did overkill.Yes I was going to buy the computer for the equiptment but the people whom set this computer up said it was not at the level of performance for the application I wanted to do.I think I just buy a new one because I think that would be safer for all concerned.Thank you for your time.I also think your correct as I think the builder of this computor game me disks I bought from sherline.Either way I see I can buy a new computor for ony about $750 where I have $1500 into this one.The numbers on the stuff look the same so I guess the newer the better.Thanks for your time