BCA Open

mnShooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did anyone watch/tape the Semi's last night. Alex Pagalyon had the best break I've ever seen. One rack he made six balls on the break. A couple racks later he made 5. It might have helped that it was brand new Somonis 1360 cloth on the table also. "Lightning fast" I believe was the term used to describe it. Also I've heard that the tables the pros play on have huge pockets and they spray the table down with starch for some reason. The tables I play on you cannot even come close to fitting two balls in.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yeah, but Alex didn't get out when hew made six on the snap.

You're right about the pros playing on loose equipment, but the Connely's at last year's BCA Open weren't ridiculously loose, just a little loose. Of course, the TV round tables have fast cloth (a condition amplified by the bright lights that make the conditions dry) and new, slidy rails, so they play easy.

Regardless of what you practice on, anything tigther than two balls is too tight for a pro event (except, of course, if the game is one-pocket). In the golden age of pool, the stndard professional pocket size was 4 1/2, meaning exactly two balls wide, and that worked just fine.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the golden age of pool, the stndard professional pocket size was 4 1/2, meaning exactly two balls wide, and that worked just fine.[ENDQUOTE]

The playing field conditions only come into play when the requirements for success are very restrictive. Open up the pockets to 5 inches & the game changes.

That's why I don't like Bar Box play...

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ceebee said:
The playing field conditions only come into play when the requirements for success are very restrictive. Open up the pockets to 5 inches & the game changes.

That's why I don't like Bar Box play...

very true...........you're not gonna see as much of those shots where someone makes a tough shot and draws the ball 15 feet off 3 rails with 4.5 inch pockets and slower cloth.

the bigger pockets and faster cloth give you access to an entire new arsenal of shots.

VAP

S

spartan

the tables at the bca open are covered in champion cloth not simonis. simonis is used for pretty much everything else.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mnShooter said:
It might have helped that it was brand new Somonis 1360 cloth on the table also. "Lightning fast" I believe was the term used to describe it. .

i think you're referring to simonis 860.......1360(if there is such a thing) would be quite slower. the lower the number the faster the cloth with simonis. 760 is faster than 860, but is thinner and therfore wears faster.

although you don't need anything faster than 860, which sometimes i think is too fast.

VAP

X Breaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
vapoolplayer said:
i think you're referring to simonis 860.......1360(if there is such a thing) would be quite slower. the lower the number the faster the cloth with simonis. 760 is faster than 860, but is thinner and therfore wears faster.

although you don't need anything faster than 860, which sometimes i think is too fast.

VAP

Was 760 designed for 3-cushion?

mnShooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1360 was just an exaggeration. I thought the higher the number, the more threads per inch, the faster. Must be opposite though.

3 cushion uses much faster cloth and heated slate so the balls never stop rolling. I've seen 11 rail shots that would be impossible on a normal table.

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
I think conditions are irrellavant because they apply equally to each player. It was also commented that the cloth was put on just before the match. That may be why it was so fast. The sponsor of the 2004 BCA Open was championship cloth.

Last edited:
S

spartan

760 was designed for home tables. it wears down slower. it plays alot faster especially when new.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vonn31 said:
I think conditions are irrellavant because they apply equally to each player. .

i have to agree and disagree here. at the BCA open, the conditions won't really matter because all 64 players play at a world class level.

but, at a REAL open event, you're going to have players that vary from sometimes a high B player to the best pro players. well if the pockets are 5 inches wide, and pretty fast cloth, you can bet that you're going to see ALOT more runouts for the lower level players. where the pro level players may run a couple more racks than usual, as they can play on the tighter equipment just as well. you will see more upsets this way. as if the pockets were tighter and the cloth slower you would see the lower level players having trouble with certain shots and certain table layouts that they wouldn't have problems with if the pockets were larger and the table faster.

so like i said, i agree and disagree...........at the worldclass level i don't think it matters much, but as you start mixing in lower level players, it matters ALOT.

thanks

VAP

mnShooter said:
It might have helped that it was brand new Somonis 1360 cloth on the table also. Also I've heard they spray the table down with starch

ROTFLMAO....mnShooter, I NEVER want to see you leave. You provide more comedic relief than the 3 Stooges, and that's when you're just trying to be STRAIGHT!!

Try spraying some of that starch on your crank...it might help you to see the "balls" better. LOL

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
vapoolplayer said:
i have to agree and disagree here. at the BCA open, the conditions won't really matter because all 64 players play at a world class level.

but, at a REAL open event, you're going to have players that vary from sometimes a high B player to the best pro players. well if the pockets are 5 inches wide, and pretty fast cloth, you can bet that you're going to see ALOT more runouts for the lower level players. where the pro level players may run a couple more racks than usual, as they can play on the tighter equipment just as well. you will see more upsets this way. as if the pockets were tighter and the cloth slower you would see the lower level players having trouble with certain shots and certain table layouts that they wouldn't have problems with if the pockets were larger and the table faster.

so like i said, i agree and disagree...........at the worldclass level i don't think it matters much, but as you start mixing in lower level players, it matters ALOT.

thanks

VAP

A generally well-judged post, VAP, but even at world class level, only the best get out consistently on 4 1/2 inch pockets. Easy equipment levels the playing field demonstrably even at pro level. Just one man's opinion.

no-sho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Simonis

The difference between 760 and 860 are:

760 is 70% wool and 30% nylon and weighs 355 grams per sq. meter.

860 is 90% wool and 10% nylon and weighs 410 grams per sq. meter.

No-sho