What would you do here?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Seems pretty straightforward to me - aim to hit between the 7 & 8. You get a shot pretty much whatever happens. Worst outcome is at least as good a safety as you have now.

pj
chgo

CueTable Help

Last edited:

poolfire

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is the

is the seven and eight froze.....if seven isnt i would set up for the bank or to play safe ....bring whitey out mid table, 2nd diamond up and stop cue behind eight and send seven 3 or 4 rails up table.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think any decent player would love to have that shot every game...in fact, I would hypothesizeize that a player of your level (Neil) would love to play every game, shooting from there, against anybody.

Bottom L/ play to strike the 8 firmly.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm's gonna jam it into the 8. little below center and left, pretty hard. As long as your hit it underneath the line from 8 to other side rail you should get workable leave.

That said, I watched Sigel play lots recently and I would not be surprised to see a better player than I make 6 and leave CB near spot, going 3rails after 7.
I think that one is more touchy- you have to hit the cb kinda deep into that corner to take path under the 9 and I get the titty a bit too often- still very workable though.

GADawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me, I forget about the 8. Make the 6 with about half tip low and half tip left and leave CB in the triangle to make the 7 in the corner. For my skill level about 70% I will hit the 8 and then, if I hit it, about 50% it will be on the wrong side and I will hook myself.Odds too low for me.

If somehow miss that position, bank the 7 three rails and stick the CB safe behind the 8

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Seems pretty straightforward to me - aim to hit between the 7 & 8. You get a shot pretty much whatever happens. Worst outcome is at least as good a safety as you have now.

pj
chgo
Neil:
Pat, you forgot the "how" part.
My Cuetable diagram shows where and how hard I'd hit the CB (just enough force to rebound a foot off the near side rail). How hard you hit the CB depends on what spin you use. With the spin I show the hit is not very firm; I think this gives better speed control than a firmer hit higher on the CB.

pj
chgo

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Is there room between the 7 and 8 to actually take the shot and make the 7?
Looks like it.

If you try to draw into the 7/8 and fail, you can leave yourself hooked on the 7.
If you try and draw into them and you hit it too good, you can bump the 8 and have the cue ball TOO close to the 7 and off angle somehow.

Personally, i'd just play position for where the cue ball is right now.
Then take an inside english shot on the 7 and come around for the 8 and you're home.
If you go too far with position on the 7 and don't have the angle to cut it in, you can always 3 rail the 7 so that it misses the 9 and hits before the side pocket and lock them up on the 8 and sending the 7 uptable, so that they can't jump it.
Just seems like a better % play with room for error then crashing into balls or trying to do trick shots.

If you play position for the bank on the 7, that means you are crashing into the 8 for position, and anything can happen at that point, both good and bad, and you basically have to get lucky to end up with a shot on the 8.

If you bank the 7 and hit the 8 full, you have good chances, but to do that, you have to draw off the 7 on the bank.
If you Roll the cue off the 7 bank, it might hit the rail, and graze the 8 as it comes off the rail, and unless you hit it hard enough to get it near the side pocket, the cue will hit the rail, come off the 8 and you will be perpendicular to the shot and have to shoot another bank or play safe anyway.

Plus, that 7 is just too damn close to the rail to bank it normally without having to stiff it with draw/inside english, HARD, and at that point, you are losing whitey anyway and hoping to get lucky if you manage to avoid the double kiss.

rustysregular10

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there room between the 7 and 8 to actually take the shot and make the 7?
Looks like it.

If you try to draw into the 7/8 and fail, you can leave yourself hooked on the 7.
If you try and draw into them and you hit it too good, you can bump the 8 and have the cue ball TOO close to the 7 and off angle somehow.

Personally, i'd just play position for where the cue ball is right now.
Then take an inside english shot on the 7 and come around for the 8 and you're home.
If you go too far with position on the 7 and don't have the angle to cut it in, you can always 3 rail the 7 so that it misses the 9 and hits before the side pocket and lock them up on the 8 and sending the 7 uptable, so that they can't jump it.
Just seems like a better % play with room for error then crashing into balls or trying to do trick shots.

If you play position for the bank on the 7, that means you are crashing into the 8 for position, and anything can happen at that point, both good and bad, and you basically have to get lucky to end up with a shot on the 8.

If you bank the 7 and hit the 8 full, you have good chances, but to do that, you have to draw off the 7 on the bank.
If you Roll the cue off the 7 bank, it might hit the rail, and graze the 8 as it comes off the rail, and unless you hit it hard enough to get it near the side pocket, the cue will hit the rail, come off the 8 and you will be perpendicular to the shot and have to shoot another bank or play safe anyway.

Plus, that 7 is just too damn close to the rail to bank it normally without having to stiff it with draw/inside english, HARD, and at that point, you are losing whitey anyway and hoping to get lucky if you manage to avoid the double kiss.

i agree with superstar. play for position where the cue ball is now. you may be able to cut the 6 ball with a little inside english and somewhat widen the angle for the cut on the 7. dont hit too firm or you could go too far and then youll have a one pocket cross corner bank. then cut the 7 with inside english and come around 2 rails for a shot on the 8. that impo looks to be the best path. very nice diagram.

paksat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like the 7 can be cut into the corner. Just make the 6 and bring the cb a little above where it is currently at then you have the option to use either inside or outside english to get on the 8 depending on what you're comfortable with.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Neil,
The how of this shot will be different for each player. Even the shot selection will be different for each player.

Personally, I would go for the break out of the 8 ball. I don't like trying to play pin point shape with the cue ball, sitting where it is right now. Trying to get the cue ball back PRECISELY to where it is, seems, well... difficult; not impossible, just difficult.

I can try to hit the 8 ball bumping it hard enough to move it away from the 7 ball, giving me a full shot on the 7 ball, rather than a difficult cut shot on the 7 ball. Additionally if I hit it poorly I might hit the 7 ball which won't be all bad either. Thirdly, if I miss both of the balls, the cue ball will be going into the side rail at a speed that I cannot be hooked behind the 8 ball and will still have an opportunity to play safe on the 7 ball or maybe even make it, depending upon where the cue ball comes to rest.

Joe V in his videos, demonstrates "precise" ways to alter the tangent line and while I know you can make this shot in all of the ways I have described, others might benefit from checking out www.pooliq.net

Good thread. Many options, most of which depend upon your skill sets and the "feeling" you have at that point in time. Sometimes just a few additional degrees in the angle can make you change your mind about how you are going to shoot the shot. The score in the match could also dictate what I would do, especially if I got questionable shape on the 7 ball.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Looks like the 7 can be cut into the corner. Just make the 6 and bring the cb a little above where it is currently at then you have the option to use either inside or outside english to get on the 8 depending on what you're comfortable with.

I think with that strategy you'd better be comfortable with inside english. Trying to go two rails to the 8 ball with the 9 ball in the way looks risky.

pj
chgo

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
I'd play a stun shot on the 6 leaving the cue ball below the 7 to bank the 7 in the top left corner. The bank would be with half tip bottom left to hit the 8 up table and off the rail. From there I can run the 8 up the table or possible into a side. I thank The Beard for this out.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member

CueTable Help

Ok,
not using often the cuetable, teasin me sometimes that i can t draw some signs there, which would be useful imo^^ but the cuetable guys re giving no answers :(

i would choose to pocket the 6 ball and trying to get the position for the 7 over one rail- (a bit of a stun shot)- because i m not able to see the exact angle towards the 6- so i will not show up the idear of using perhaps position with follow shot over 2 rails. Imo the shot to get over one rail position to the 7 has far more percentages to be successful.

if you then get the wanted position for the 7- i would choose to use right-hand english and go for the eight-ball. it all depends a bit on how the cloth conditions are (always, :p).

After this you could choose the same shot again to make the 8-ball to get position on the 9-ball. if you played the 7 with good speed, your angle on the 8 ball will be comfortable to get a nice angle to run for the 9-ball.

IN CASE of......
sometimes there unbelievable things are happening...i swear :p
So if you have (for what reason ever) bad feelings i diagram 2- to pocket the 7 ball with right-hand english to go over 3 cushions for the 8-ball, there s another option. It sounds really much more difficult than it is(just some training sessions on it, and you ll enjoy it). if you hit the 7 from the same position with same english, but RAIL-FIRST!!!!! and hittin with the right speed- it will come out like this:

CueTable Help

At least, if you fail to make a proper position from the 6 towards the 7, you have good varations to play a safe ofc, too. but this would break the thread here :) Safety variations are always a bit greater than going for a runout imo. And depends more on the situation in my opinion.

Hope all worked what i tried, lol^^

lg from overseas Neil,

Ingo

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd play a stun shot on the 6 leaving the cue ball below the 7 to bank the 7 in the top left corner. The bank would be with half tip bottom left to hit the 8 up table and off the rail. From there I can run the 8 up the table or possible into a side. I thank The Beard for this out.

The Beard planted a hole in your game!

Think he doesn't have a move for every angle?!

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
My 2nd attempt I hit the 8 on the inside table side, 8 came off the rail about 3 balls distance, the cb went up table a little bit, great angle on the 7, easy to get on the 8. All using what I KNOW. Knowledge is worthless if you don't put it into practice at the table.

May i ask what happened on your first attempt?