how are ya'll doing in league ?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Where do you watch these pros play 8 ball? The IPT and the Bar Table Championships are the only places I see the pros playing 8 ball, outside of regional bar table tourneys.

That IS where I watch them...on video. I also attended the Galveston World Classic a couple years ago...they had professional 8-ball in that event. I don't know if I ever saw a single pro use the second ball break..as far as I can recollect.

My biggest gripe about the second ball break is when some yo-yo claims he has it down to an art...which he obviously doesn't.

If anyone has anything down to an art...it is the seasoned professionals...and they weren't using it in the matches I was watching.

Maniac

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That IS where I watch them...on video. I also attended the Galveston World Classic a couple years ago...they had professional 8-ball in that event. I don't know if I ever saw a single pro use the second ball break..as far as I can recollect.

My biggest gripe about the second ball break is when some yo-yo claims he has it down to an art...which he obviously doesn't.

If anyone has anything down to an art...it is the seasoned professionals...and they weren't using it in the matches I was watching.

Maniac

well maniac i am not gonna side with russ.... after all i did say earlier that making the 8 is pure luck , but i gotta tell you this story.

back in the mid 80's i was playing in a bar one fri night. i was having one of my good nights keeping the table all night long playing for mostly beers and a few 5 or 10 games.

my g/f at the time was hanging with some friends at the bar and would come and check on me and get some beers i had won for her and her friends.

she knew i was pretty good for a bar banger but i gotta tell you she was a lot better and knew more about pool than i did at the time. well after a few hours she told me ... you see that old man sitting by himself in the corner ? i said yea. she says don;t play him. i said why not? she says he is a road player.

like i said ...although she was 10 years my younger she had been around pool a whole lot longer than me. i said whats a road player ? she explained to me what one is. i said how do you know he is ? she said.. you know how i always watch every one when we are out. i said yea. she says well he has been in here for 3 hours sitting by himself drinking 1 coke and watching all the action on these 2 pool tables.

i said so ? she says aint nobody doing that unless they looking to make a score. well after i had chased every body off the tables that old man came up and said ... you wanna play some ? i said yea. he says 20.00 a game. i said no... 5.00 a game like i been playing all night long.

well i break and run 6 balls and he runs out. next game he makes 8 on break. next game 8 on break. he makes 8 ball on break 5 times in a row before i said i had enough. i dont know how many he could have made in a row but i was not paying 5.00 a game to find out. then i saked him how he made it every time. he showed me the 2nd ball break . i tried it a few times and made it one outa 10 times but playing on coin op tables got expensive getting the 8 out. i just quit trying it and actually took a 20 year hiatus from pool.

upon getting ready to leave that old man told me i had a good eye for the game and if i ever learned english i would be dangerous. now i am 59 with eyes not as good as they once were and still don't know english worth a damn lol.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
well maniac i am not gonna side with russ.... after all i did say earlier that making the 8 is pure luck , but i gotta tell you this story.

back in the mid 80's i was playing in a bar one fri night. i was having one of my good nights keeping the table all night long playing for mostly beers and a few 5 or 10 games.

my g/f at the time was hanging with some friends at the bar and would come and check on me and get some beers i had won for her and her friends.

she knew i was pretty good for a bar banger but i gotta tell you she was a lot better and knew more about pool than i did at the time. well after a few hours she told me ... you see that old man sitting by himself in the corner ? i said yea. she says don;t play him. i said why not? she says he is a road player.

like i said ...although she was 10 years my younger she had been around pool a whole lot longer than me. i said whats a road player ? she explained to me what one is. i said how do you know he is ? she said.. you know how i always watch every one when we are out. i said yea. she says well he has been in here for 3 hours sitting by himself drinking 1 coke and watching all the action on these 2 pool tables.

i said so ? she says aint nobody doing that unless they looking to make a score. well after i had chased every body off the tables that old man came up and said ... you wanna play some ? i said yea. he says 20.00 a game. i said no... 5.00 a game like i been playing all night long.

well i break and run 6 balls and he runs out. next game he makes 8 on break. next game 8 on break. he makes 8 ball on break 5 times in a row before i said i had enough. i dont know how many he could have made in a row but i was not paying 5.00 a game to find out. then i saked him how he made it every time. he showed me the 2nd ball break . i tried it a few times and made it one outa 10 times but playing on coin op tables got expensive getting the 8 out. i just quit trying it and actually took a 20 year hiatus from pool.

upon getting ready to leave that old man told me i had a good eye for the game and if i ever learned english i would be dangerous. now i am 59 with eyes not as good as they once were and still don't know english worth a damn lol.

Two things lorider:

1.) Never play 8-ball for $$$ where the 8-on-the-snap counts as a win...and

2.) Do you actually think that old road player walked into every bar during his trip and snapped five 8-balls in a row in all of them?

Even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then. I have already said the chances are much greater snapping the 8 using the second ball break...but, using a neutral racker who will rack the balls tightly...or a Magic Rack...I'm betting money with anyone in the world on a rack-to rack basis that they cannot snap the 8-ball.

Show me a guy that can do it more than half the time....then I'd say he has it down to an art form....otherwise, it's a crapshoot.

Maniac

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two things lorider:

1.) Never play 8-ball for $$$ where the 8-on-the-snap counts as a win...and

2.) Do you actually think that old road player walked into every bar during his trip and snapped five 8-balls in a row in all of them?

Even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then. I have already said the chances are much greater snapping the 8 using the second ball break...but, using a neutral racker who will rack the balls tightly...or a Magic Rack...I'm betting money with anyone in the world on a rack-to rack basis that they cannot snap the 8-ball.

Show me a guy that can do it more than half the time....then I'd say he has it down to an art form....otherwise, it's a crapshoot.

Maniac

1. i don't mind play for money with 8 on break wins at all. its a crap shoot if they make it and thats part of gambling ain't it ?

2. i was doing all the racking lol. i have always tried to make sure they are tight... thats the way i was taught and expect the same from my opponent.

i have been playing off and on for over 40 years and have never seen a guy make 2 in a row much less 5 in a row like this old man did.

as for this guy going around snapping 8's left and right all the time....i don't know . i just know i spent about 5 hours keeping the table making about 200.00 playing cheap games and he took 30.00 of it in less than 5 minutes lol.

from the mid 70's to the late 80's i practically lived in bars all up and down the east coast of fla playing pool from daytona to west palm beach. i never saw that guy before or after that time in ft. pierce when i played him.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
played in my napa league yesterday. lost 3-0. :frown:

when i turned in the scoresheet my lo who happens to be my co captain on my sun apa team said you ought never lost to him much less losing 3-0.

i told him it was just one of them days i could do nothing right and my opponent could do nothing wrong. :eek:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
This past Sunday my APA team received a forfeit in the playoffs. So, I've been told that we're now advancing to the Tri-Cup. Is winning the Tri-Cup same as LTC (Local Tournament Champions)?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
This past Sunday my APA team received a forfeit in the playoffs. So, I've been told that we're now advancing to the Tri-Cup. Is winning the Tri-Cup same as LTC (Local Tournament Champions)?

I believe so. We have tri cups here, and once a team wins at that tourney, to advance to our "states" tournament, they are listed as "LTC Qualified" on the national website.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I had a decent night at 9-ball last night, beating my opponent 38-20 for a 16-4 win.

My opponent is another SL5, he and I usually have fairly even matches.

Funny thing was I won the lag, and he never broke in the entire match. I've never had that happen to me in a 9-ball match....

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I'm currently nearing the end of my 2nd session of APA. I've been playing pool since I was 11 years old (now 30), but I had never played in a league before this last Summer. I've really enjoyed it so far. I like all the people one my team, it's given me a reason to practice and improve my game, it gets me out of the house, and it's a little competition without being too intense.

Our team won our division in 8 ball last session and I got the 8 and 9 ball MVP awards for our division. This session our team is near the bottom in 8 ball and in 2nd place in 9 ball. I feel like my game has been improving, and I've been playing fairly well. I'm 5-3 in 8 ball this session and 8-2 in 9 ball. Barbox 8 ball has been tough to adjust to for me, but I'm learning it. I've spent most of the time in APA as a 5 in 8 ball and a 6 in 9 ball, but I recently moved up to a 6 in both. I'm not one of those guys that doesn't try to move up. Hopefully we can close strong and win the division in 9 ball.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

no its not. every area seems to be different but here is the format in our area.

a tri cup tournament is held after each session. there are 3 sessions a year hence the name tri cup.

in our area the 1st place team in each division is automatically qualified for the ltc. then you have playoffs for xx number of teams in each division to qualify for tri cups

then you have xx number of teams in each tri cup that qualify for the ltc .once you have qualified for ltc you have to finish in the top half of your division each session or you lose your eligibility for ltc.

i think we have a couple of by laws in our area that i think most apa leagues do not have " according to what other members on here have stated".

1. if you finish in the finals of the ltc " 2nd place" you are automatically qualified for next years ltc.

2. after the 3rd tri cup is played we have what we call the "best of the rest tournament".

our lo takes all of the teams that played in all the tri cups but did not qualify for ltc and holds a tournament and xx number of teams are given a last chance to qualify so to speak.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a decent night at 9-ball last night, beating my opponent 38-20 for a 16-4 win.

My opponent is another SL5, he and I usually have fairly even matches.

Funny thing was I won the lag, and he never broke in the entire match. I've never had that happen to me in a 9-ball match....

way to go dub. hey wait a minute! ya'll played day after christmas ? that ain't right ! we were given the whole week off.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe so. We have tri cups here, and once a team wins at that tourney, to advance to our "states" tournament, they are listed as "LTC Qualified" on the national website.

het dub ...they are not the same. winning a tri cup qualifies you for a ltc.... in your case what you call states which the winner qualifies for nationals.

get youa cup of coffee and wake up. :smile:

again congrats on the win .:thumbup:

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
no its not. every area seems to be different but here is the format in our area.

a tri cup tournament is held after each session. there are 3 sessions a year hence the name tri cup.

in our area the 1st place team in each division is automatically qualified for the ltc. then you have playoffs for xx number of teams in each division to qualify for tri cups

then you have xx number of teams in each tri cup that qualify for the ltc .once you have qualified for ltc you have to finish in the top half of your division each session or you lose your eligibility for ltc.

i think we have a couple of by laws in our area that i think most apa leagues do not have " according to what other members on here have stated".

1. if you finish in the finals of the ltc " 2nd place" you are automatically qualified for next years ltc.

2. after the 3rd tri cup is played we have what we call the "best of the rest tournament".

our lo takes all of the teams that played in all the tri cups but did not qualify for ltc and holds a tournament and xx number of teams are given a last chance to qualify so to speak.

Our format is the same as yours (minus the 2 bylaws), but what you call Tri-Cup is called Cash Cup here, and what you call LTC is called City Cup. I don't know why.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Thanks for the clarification. The more I think of it, the luck of forfeit in this second season of APA league pool reminds of The Bad News Bears (with Walter Matthau, not the remake). Just trying to plot what it takes to get to the Houston Astrodome, eh, Las Vegas Nationals at the Riv. :)

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our format is the same as yours (minus the 2 bylaws), but what you call Tri-Cup is called Cash Cup here, and what you call LTC is called City Cup. I don't know why.

we also call it cities but when i look up my team stats on the website it states ltc qualified.

i just say ltc on here because i don't want to confuse the posters who go by ltc.:grin:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the clarification. The more I think of it, the luck of forfeit in this second season of APA league pool reminds of The Bad News Bears (with Walter Matthau, not the remake). Just trying to plot what it takes to get to the Houston Astrodome, eh, Las Vegas Nationals at the Riv. :)

the plot is to place well enough in the tri cup to qualify for ltc.

then lay low the last session and play well enough to stay in the top half and not lose your eligibility for ltc.....which most posters on here claim EVERY TEAM in apa does.

or you can do like i think most players do. play balls to the walls every match and let the chips fall where they may.

the thing apa bashers don't realize is that every time they bash they contradict theirselves.

the 2 main gripes i hear is sandbaggers and the 23 rule.

they say people sand bag to stay under 23. they say all teams have to bring in new players to stay under 23 so its a pyramid scheme.

well i say if every body sand bagged every one would stay the same and nobody would need all them new players that they say they have to bring in. am i right?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
het dub ...they are not the same. winning a tri cup qualifies you for a ltc.... in your case what you call states which the winner qualifies for nationals.

get youa cup of coffee and wake up. :smile:

again congrats on the win .:thumbup:

Thanks.

Again, it appears that different areas do things, well, differently.

Here, the four teams that make the division playoffs (top three teams and one wild card) are all qualified for Tri Cups. We have 15 divisions, across most of the state, so there is a North Tri Cup, and a South Tri Cup, divisions broken up fairly evenly.

The three teams that win their bracket at Tri Cup are qualified for States, and will be listed as LTC Qualified on the national website. Eight team brackets, you have to win three matches to advance.

There is also a Second Chance playoff and tri cup structure, which sends another team or two, but that just complicates the discussion.

At States, the four 8-ball teams that win their bracket (three for 9-ball, we have fewer 9-ball teams here) go to Vegas. Brackets consist of eight teams, so you need to win three matches at States to go.

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well i played on my double jeapordy league tonight.

i played a 6 in 8 ball ...i won 4-3

played the same guy in 9 ball. dont really remember scores rack to rack.

i do know i was up 17-3 after 2 racks. a few racks later i am up 28-7.... 1 rack was an early 9.

then he caught a gear. a few racks later my co - captain says dang you lettin him beat you. i told him the line i saw on here in the best one liners thread...... hell i cant jump up and block his shots ..

lost 46-36.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
well i played on my double jeapordy league tonight.

i played a 6 in 8 ball ...i won 4-3

played the same guy in 9 ball. dont really remember scores rack to rack.

i do know i was up 17-3 after 2 racks. a few racks later i am up 28-7.... 1 rack was an early 9.

then he caught a gear. a few racks later my co - captain says dang you lettin him beat you. i told him the line i saw on here in the best one liners thread...... hell i cant jump up and block his shots ..

lost 46-36.

Yeah, what the heck can you do to stop it at that point... I like that line, I gotta try and remember that one.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i played in my napa league today. my opponent chose 8 ball...his mistake. :D i play 8 ball better than i do 9 or 10 ball.

we started the 1st match him going to 6 and me 4. every rack was a long safety battle.we play on 2 tables and they started the 5 th match before we finally got through with my match with me winning 4-2. :thumbup: heck of a lot better than my last napa match where i lost 4-0. i just had my head up my ass the last time and could do nothing right.:embarrassed2:

i hate when i get those days like that but i am getting a lot better about putting those bad days behind me and just try to focus the next match i have.