Jacoby BlaCk Carbon Fiber Shaft

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I you're going to combine wood and carbon, what's the difference in CF-over-wood(Jacoby) and wood-over-CF(Mezz)? The Mezz with a CF core play great and still feel/sound like wood. Just curious here.

MalibuMike

Banned
I traded my Revo 12.4 for a 2nd Mezz ProEx

I can't imagine a wood core would be lower deflection than the foam core of Revo or Cuetec.

I agree, played with the Revo for a few months then went back to my Mezz ExPro Carbon Fiber cored shaft, and it felt and played much better, maybe cause its 30"?? Or the wood is awesome? I got the same action with the ExPro! I may try the Mezz Ignite.... I've tried every shaft out there, why stop now?

Attachments

• Shaft3.jpg
    Shaft3.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 2,614
  • user71166_pic15552_1436387875.jpg
    user71166_pic15552_1436387875.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 2,580
  • Shaft4.jpg
    Shaft4.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 2,587
  • tongue-stuck.jpg
    tongue-stuck.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 2,565

MalibuMike

Banned
The Mezz ExPro has a Carbon Fiber Core!

To who can't ever imagine a wood core cue playing better then Carbon Fiber,
The Mezz EXPro Has a Carbon Fiber center.
All this talk of Carbon Fiber being the end all, I'm an aerospace engineer and I will tell you that Pool Cues & Carbon Fiber are still in their infancy...
Wait and see what can be done.
This is just like the stage when the 1st Muecci Red Dot or 314 came out!

Attachments

• Shaft2.jpg
    Shaft2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 2,375
  • 20150429_174214.jpg
    20150429_174214.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 2,372
  • user71166_pic15571_1436389740.jpg
    user71166_pic15571_1436389740.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 2,432

mister__p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Received mine today. Very disappointed in the quality control. I may just have a lemon, but I would expect more from a $480 shaft. I have decided to order the Mezz Ignite instead.

Here you can see a visible seam that runs the length of the shaft. I do not see this on my Revo.

Here you can see the finish is missing and you can see the underlying CF layer honeycomb pattern.

The Cynergy also has a seam but I don't think it poses any structural issues - just indicates where the CF wrap meets. So long as it's straight and tight, it's fine

The surface finish is completely unacceptable - really poor QC. Apparently, Jacoby are trying to rush the shaft out the door like Predator tried with the 12.4 which isn't a good thing as these issues will get reported by consumers and will put potential buyers off.

Physiqz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What joint is the Jacoby you have?

Radial.

Also the convo on facebook was with me about the xray lol.
Its not CF over wood. Thats just the foam.
From first glance it looked like wood from the xray so they broke it apart and it was the foam they used.

Sean Hallett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Radial.

Also the convo on facebook was with me about the xray lol.
Its not CF over wood. Thats just the foam.
From first glance it looked like wood from the xray so they broke it apart and it was the foam they used.
Where is this convo on facebook? Mine should be arriving soon and would love to read any info on the shaft

beermug

I got a Black shaft about a month ago. I still have mixed feelings about it. I was mainly playing on a bar box because of my league and friends when I got the shaft and it simply felt fantastic, I had so much control over the cue ball with no effort. I automatically thought I am not going back to my solid maple shaft(Bob Danielson).

But couple of days ago, after getting some competition, I switched back to 9 footers. I have never been this inaccurate in my life. I basically humiliated myself with my shots. Especially long shots and cuts.

So I just wanted to try my old reliable solid maple shaft today to see if there is a difference, they are almost the same diameter at the tip(12.3 and 12.4), the only difference is the maple shaft is 30 inch, both on a Jacoby butt with radial pin(.847).

So after shooting for a bit, there was a huge difference, I was way more accurate with my regular shaft, especially on my long shots.

Maybe I just lost my stroke playing on bar boxes for too long and being depressed at the moment is not really helping. Also Black shaft is definitely less forgiving. So I will just keep on shooting and practicing but I am really confused at the moment.

Sean Hallett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a Black shaft about a month ago. I still have mixed feelings about it. I was mainly playing on a bar box because of my league and friends when I got the shaft and it simply felt fantastic, I had so much control over the cue ball with no effort. I automatically thought I am not going back to my solid maple shaft(Bob Danielson).

But couple of days ago, after getting some competition, I switched back to 9 footers. I have never been this inaccurate in my life. I basically humiliated myself with my shots. Especially long shots and cuts.

So I just wanted to try my old reliable solid maple shaft today to see if there is a difference, they are almost the same diameter at the tip(12.3 and 12.4), the only difference is the maple shaft is 30 inch, both on a Jacoby butt with radial pin(.847).

So after shooting for a bit, there was a huge difference, I was way more accurate with my regular shaft, especially on my long shots.

Maybe I just lost my stroke playing on bar boxes for too long and being depressed at the moment is not really helping. Also Black shaft is definitely less forgiving. So I will just keep on shooting and practicing but I am really confused at the moment.
Maybe the less deflection on longer shots messed with your aiming? As you are only used to short and medium range shots with the black.
I've ordered a 30" Jacoby Black and should be with me within a week. I'm curious as to how the low deflection compares to other ld shafts that you have used. More or less than the revo, cuetec cynergy, predator Z3, Mezz hybrid 2, ob-2+ or Jacoby ultra pro?

beermug

Maybe the less deflection on longer shots messed with your aiming? As you are only used to short and medium range shots with the black.
I've ordered a 30" Jacoby Black and should be with me within a week. I'm curious as to how the low deflection compares to other ld shafts that you have used. More or less than the revo, cuetec cynergy, predator Z3, Mezz hybrid 2, ob-2+ or Jacoby ultra pro?

I have the regular Jacoby Edge Hybrid that came with my cue, I have never did a deflection test or anything I usually just go for the feeling. I am pretty sure they are about the same in the means of deflection but Black felt way more pure. Like I am able to adjust my speed way better because of the feedback I get. Also I think it deflects way more than Revo but I would take the Black any day over Revo because of the feedback and taper. The only thing I really hate is the tip, it's simply terrible, gonna change it as soon as possible.

I got a question for you if you don't mind, I am thinking about ordering a 30 inch Black, how long did yours take and where did you order it from?

Sean Hallett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the regular Jacoby Edge Hybrid that came with my cue, I have never did a deflection test or anything I usually just go for the feeling. I am pretty sure they are about the same in the means of deflection but Black felt way more pure. Like I am able to adjust my speed way better because of the feedback I get. Also I think it deflects way more than Revo but I would take the Black any day over Revo because of the feedback and taper. The only thing I really hate is the tip, it's simply terrible, gonna change it as soon as possible.

I got a question for you if you don't mind, I am thinking about ordering a 30 inch Black, how long did yours take and where did you order it from?
Way more then a revo? That's disappointing :/ Being level with the Revo was me being optimistic, slightly less is more realistic but I never thought it would be alot less?
I'm from the UK and there is only 1 dealer. Luckily he went to the US open to play and pick up stock so I got my order in just in time.

beermug

Way more then a revo? That's disappointing :/ Being level with the Revo was me being optimistic, slightly less is more realistic but I never thought it would be alot less?
I'm from the UK and there is only 1 dealer. Luckily he went to the US open to play and pick up stock so I got my order in just in time.

I might be wrong, like I said, I have never tested them specifically for deflection and actually didn't get to spend a lot of time with Revo, only a couple of racks. So it is just my personal observation.

Also, some people love the Kamui Clear Tan Soft that comes with the Black, I simply hated it, been playing with Ultraskin Ivory Soft and Medium on two of my previous shafts for some time now and I have never miscued so much in my entire life after started playing with the Kamui that came with the shaft. So I would recommend spending some time with it and consider changing the tip if it doesn't speak to you. Sometimes it makes a huge difference.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Where is this convo on facebook? Mine should be arriving soon and would love to read any info on the shaft

That's what I'm talking about. With every other CF shaft out, the company provides some information and directions on care and such. Nothing from Jacoby about any of it. I thought there would be something that came with it since nothing on there website but just the shaft all need in the tube. I think we have more info on the unreleased Pechauer already than the black

Sean Hallett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's what I'm talking about. With every other CF shaft out, the company provides some information and directions on care and such. Nothing from Jacoby about any of it. I thought there would be something that came with it since nothing on there website but just the shaft all need in the tube. I think we have more info on the unreleased Pechauer already than the black
I asked if the Black came with wipes and he said no and not to use them??? I can't remember the reason why or if he gave one. He just said use a micro fibre towel. Do you think it's just because Jacoby haven't got their own brand of wipes or you shouldn't use them for some reason?
There is very little info available on the Black and it's already been released! A link to the facebook discussion would be really helpful, even what page on facebook.

gregnice37

Silver Member
I asked if the Black came with wipes and he said no and not to use them??? I can't remember the reason why or if he gave one. He just said use a micro fibre towel. Do you think it's just because Jacoby haven't got their own brand of wipes or you shouldn't use them for some reason?
There is very little info available on the Black and it's already been released! A link to the facebook discussion would be really helpful, even what page on facebook.

See I didn't know and I asked on the Jacoby page with no response. The shaft felt a little gritty when I got it just like the Meucci so I used a Revo wipe on it. Just like the Meucci the wipe was completely black after without ever hitting a ball yet.

This is why some info should've been included.

Sean Hallett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
See I didn't know and I asked on the Jacoby page with no response. The shaft felt a little gritty when I got it just like the Meucci so I used a Revo wipe on it. Just like the Meucci the wipe was completely black after without ever hitting a ball yet.

This is why some info should've been included.
Maybe ask the dealer you got it from? I think all CF shafts are like that and maybe that's why we shouldn't be using wipes in the first place?
How are you finding the deflection so far compared to other LD and CF shafts?

gregnice37

Silver Member
Maybe ask the dealer you got it from? I think all CF shafts are like that and maybe that's why we shouldn't be using wipes in the first place?
How are you finding the deflection so far compared to other LD and CF shafts?

I haven't been able to shoot with it yet. I have severe back issues and this past month I haven't hit 1 ball. I went to league last night and it's the 1st time I've left the house in 4 weeks, that's how bad my pain has been. I had plans to hit a few but it didn't happen.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently got a Jacoby Black, and I tested its deflection using a procedure similar to Dr. Dave’s video. It was identical in deflection to my OB + pro, as far as I could tell. Less than a house cue (of course) that I’ve compared to my OB, but I would guess a little higher than the lowest-deflection shafts on the market.

The finish is perfect, not like the nasty-looking one in the photos.

Now I’m looking for a butt to go with it (it’s radial). Any suggestions? I looked through the Jacoby site and don’t see a lot that looks like it would go well with their shaft, at least to my taste. What other companies or cues have butts that would work with this shaft?

Sean Hallett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently got a Jacoby Black, and I tested its deflection using a procedure similar to Dr. Dave’s video. It was identical in deflection to my OB + pro, as far as I could tell. Less than a house cue (of course) that I’ve compared to my OB, but I would guess a little higher than the lowest-deflection shafts on the market.

Now I’m looking for a butt to go with it (it’s radial). Any suggestions? I looked through the Jacoby site and don’t see a lot that looks like it would go well with their shaft, at least to my taste. What other companies or cues have butts that would work with this shaft?
I've got an OB-2+ shaft but i've never played with a Pro +. They look exactly the same apart from the ferule, both 11.75mm. Do they have the same deflection?
It's good to hear about the finish :)
This is the butt I have that will be going on my Black when it arrives: https://jacobycustomcues.com/search...CNRwSzRT7OzzdQq3GnqgnS0c2khT_7o0yDbAcinfbPAHM
I'd suggest sticking with a jacoby butt so the joint is an exact fit. Sure you could find a used Jacoby for sale on here or ebay etc with a darker colour. The new ones available on the site now are good but not to my tastes. A new Jacoby is $$$ too haha. Find a used darker model and stick with Jacoby for the better fit

Sean Hallett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got an OB-2+ shaft but i've never played with a Pro +. They look exactly the same apart from the ferule, both 11.75mm. Do they have the same deflection?
It's good to hear about the finish :)
This is the butt I have that will be going on my Black when it arrives: https://jacobycustomcues.com/search...CNRwSzRT7OzzdQq3GnqgnS0c2khT_7o0yDbAcinfbPAHM
I'd suggest sticking with a jacoby butt so the joint is an exact fit. Sure you could find a used Jacoby for sale on here or ebay etc with a darker colour. The new ones available on the site now are good but not to my tastes. A new Jacoby is $$$ too haha. Find a used darker model and stick with Jacoby for the better fit
The custom mags are cheaper and match a darker shaft. You can get it in Purple, Blue, Red and Pink. No inlays though and they aren't in stock so you would have to order and wait
https://jacobycustomcues.com/ourcues.php?ID=Mag Series

gregnice37

Silver Member

For best fit you are going to have to find a Jacoby. It's so thick at .847 when most other butts are like .840. I use 2 predator butts because I usually use Revo and just been buying other CF shafts to try.

Don't know if you are on Facebook but if you are look up Gary Serrano, he has a bunch of Jacoby's for sale as he is a dealer. He's getting these in and 2nd on left is sweet, think the black would look killer on it

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1557069486084.jpg
    FB_IMG_1557069486084.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,342
Last edited: