Starting treatment on Monday

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yessiree Bob!!! :grin:

Those labs can be nerve wracking. I remember taking my mom in and us having to take a pee sample in with us and then give blood....then wait wait wait to see if she would get her treatment. We had one time near the end were her urine test was a bit to low and the Doctor had to signoff on letting her have it anyway. This was for Avastin a biotherapy drip that helped her a lot.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Those labs can be nerve wracking. I remember taking my mom in and us having to take a pee sample in with us and then give blood....then wait wait wait to see if she would get her treatment. We had one time near the end were her urine test was a bit to low and the Doctor had to signoff on letting her have it anyway. This was for Avastin a biotherapy drip that helped her a lot.

Yeah... every Monday morning's the same, Blood draw, wait for results, see the chemo nurse-practitioner> My chemo oncologist already told me Thursday, if my levels aren't "ok", there won't be any more chemo. He said that because my levels have been borderline the past 3 weeks. So, we'll see.

Hope your mom came thru ok... I went thru something similar with my mom as well, long time ago.

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Michael i hope (and pray) that the treatment(chemo) is helping and that you are doing okay. Please remember that God is the key,and chemo,immunotherapy,radiation,etc....are just tools man...GOD is the only way my friend and i hope you are doing well!

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Michael i hope (and pray) that the treatment(chemo) is helping and that you are doing okay. Please remember that God is the key,and chemo,immunotherapy,radiation,etc....are just tools man...GOD is the only way my friend and i hope you are doing well!

Thanks Jay... very much looking forward to this being over. Your thoughts are most appreciated.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Another very long Monday, left home @ 615am, just got home @ 30 mins ago. Last chemo is done. Radiation was down today so I didn't get it. So, it they're up tomorrow, it'll be Tues, Wed, Thur and Fri. I'm getting antsy. I want this to be over.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Hill-hill, bub. Last week come'n in hot. Then rest; much deserved rest.
I wish you well.

Josh

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Just found out radiation is down again today, all day. So much for ending this week. Now at best it will be Wed, Thur, Fri and next Mon.

Sighing...

Gahhhh.

:(

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah... every Monday morning's the same, Blood draw, wait for results, see the chemo nurse-practitioner> My chemo oncologist already told me Thursday, if my levels aren't "ok", there won't be any more chemo. He said that because my levels have been borderline the past 3 weeks. So, we'll see.

Hope your mom came thru ok... I went thru something similar with my mom as well, long time ago.

I posted this before but she eventually passed on 2/06/19. She did extremely well with her surgery and treatments but she did ultimately lose the battle to the cancer. Her cancer was a Glioblastoma(brain cancer). She had the main tumor removed and came thru surgery great. Then we did chemo and radiation and she did ok with that too but over time she was losing her baseline abilities and ran into some setbacks. Pnuemonia for example and then later she had a seizure both of which meant trips to the hospital. The time off her feet hurt her ability to get around and she was wheel chair bound after the second admission. Sadly the tumors came back and this time surgery/treatment was out of the question because of her age and declining baseline. At the end she had almost as much tumor as we started with.

The positive in this is she did get almost two more years of life after the tumors were discovered and she was able to stay at home for most of that time. She was real sharp mentally too until near the very end. So feisty and determined! She was very strong and positive the entire way. She would give me hell about things sometimes too, especially when she thought I was going to fast while driving her around in her Big Buick!!!! :D Did you know you can four wheel drift a Buick LeSabre around a small clover leaf exit ramp when you are running almost late transporting your Mother to her radiation appointment?!?! She and I found out you in fact could do that!:smile:

You ,Michael very much remind me of her and her attitude about things. I suppose that is why I have been posting so much on your thread. I can't cheer her on anymore but I can cheer you and others on:smile:

Phil Jones
Austin Texas.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/statesman/obituary.aspx?n=monie-kathryn-bell-jones&pid=191506594

Last edited:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I posted this before but she eventually passed on 2/06/19. She did extremely well with her surgery and treatments but she did ultimately lose the battle to the cancer. Her cancer was a Glioblastoma(brain cancer). She had the main tumor removed and came thru surgery great. Then we did chemo and radiation and she did ok with that too but over time she was losing her baseline abilities and ran into some setbacks. Pnuemonia for example and then later she had a seizure both of which meant trips to the hospital. The time off her feet hurt her ability to get around and she was wheel chair bound after the second admission. Sadly the tumors came back and this time surgery/treatment was out of the question because of her age and declining baseline. At the end she had almost as much tumor as we started with.

The positive in this is she did get almost two more years of life after the tumors were discovered and she was able to stay at home for most of that time. She was real sharp mentally too until near the very end. So feisty and determined! She was very strong and positive the entire way. She would give me hell about things sometimes too, especially when she thought I was going to fast while driving her around in her Big Buick!!!! :D Did you know you can four wheel drift a Buick LeSabre around a small clover leaf exit ramp when you are running almost late transporting your Mother to her radiation appointment?!?! She and I found out you in fact could do that!:smile:

You ,Michael very much remind me of her and her attitude about things. I suppose that is why I have been posting so much on your thread. I can't cheer her on anymore but I can cheer you and others on:smile:

Phil Jones
Austin Texas.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/statesman/obituary.aspx?n=monie-kathryn-bell-jones&pid=191506594

First, I am so very sorry for your loss. In some way, and this, as a child caring for one's mother ( or father, but I think it really is different with one's mother ), is particularly painful, but she almost certainly had some sense of relief at the end ( while her awareness was still in tact ) at the cessation of the feeling you were being "burdened" with having to care for her. That, truly, is a mother's largest nightmare, of having the tables turned and the *child* being now the caregiver and not the mother. I cannot tell you how many times, as my mother slipped into her 60s, that we had that conversation. She was adamant that she never become a "burden" to either myself or my older sister. And as it turned out, at least from her point of view, that is precisely what happened. Of course WE never, ever took that stance. We simply were just beginning to pay her back for lifetimes of care, worry, stress and unselfish giving. Not once did we ever consider any of it as "burden". But she did. It was a conundrum never really solved for her or, for that matter knowing how she felt, for us as well.

At the end, I brought her home, to my house, from the care facility. She passed away 3 days later, although the doctors told us she could very well have lasted months if not longer. We all wish it could've been so. She, we suspect, had very different ideas about that. It was February 18th, 1991. Not a week goes by I do not think of her. So many times I've wished I had her to speak with... but every time I think of her, she lives. Her life is once again vital, meaningful, dynamic, if only for that too-short a time. But it is something. It certainly is something. And for that I am grateful.

Again Phil, so sorry for your loss...

M

Last edited:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My grandmother went to the hospital for back surgery.
During her time in the hospital she caught pneumonia and then they found out she had lung cancer. Never smoked a day in her life.
They did some chemo and radiation but by
the time they caught it, it was already stage 4.
My mom, aunt, and uncle said they would keep
her at home and take care of her.
My uncle lasted a week, aunt less than a month.
Me and my mom took care of her for the
next 8 months with the help of a hospice nurse
twice a week. During that time when we needed help,
relatives helped and also helped themselves to
pain medication. Tore the family in two. My mom had been diagnosed with c.o.p.d. and emphysema during
this time(smoked 50 years). A year later had tumors
on her lungs. She has decided after what we went
through with her mom, she was not going to fight.
3 years on now she still smokes, needs oxygen,
and has no intention of chemotherapy or any
other medical treatment.
With this first hand experience I cannot express my
admiration for your fighting spirit, especially a second time. Your attitude may just be the difference between
winning and losing. Keep goin buddy. Your just about there.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
My grandmother went to the hospital for back surgery.
During her time in the hospital she caught pneumonia and then they found out she had lung cancer. Never smoked a day in her life.
They did some chemo and radiation but by
the time they caught it, it was already stage 4.
My mom, aunt, and uncle said they would keep
her at home and take care of her.
My uncle lasted a week, aunt less than a month.
Me and my mom took care of her for the
next 8 months with the help of a hospice nurse
twice a week. During that time when we needed help,
relatives helped and also helped themselves to
pain medication. Tore the family in two. My mom had been diagnosed with c.o.p.d. and emphysema during
this time(smoked 50 years). A year later had tumors
on her lungs. She has decided after what we went
through with her mom, she was not going to fight.
3 years on now she still smokes, needs oxygen,
and has no intention of chemotherapy or any
other medical treatment.
With this first hand experience I cannot express my
admiration for your fighting spirit, especially a second time. Your attitude may just be the difference between
winning and losing. Keep goin buddy. Your just about there.

Again, things bittersweet are brought home by these comments. You have my best wishes for everyone involved, especially for your mom, bless her heart.

As for me, I'm simply a curmudgeonly, grumpy old goat who intensely dislikes not getting my own way... ask anyone who knows me! So not getting what I want, i.e., the rest of a long life, is just something I reject out of hand. Ain't happenin'. End of story. If for no other reason than I plan to be around to TORMENT those in my life that truly deserve it! :grin-devilish:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Again, things bittersweet are brought home by these comments. You have my best wishes for everyone involved, especially for your mom, bless her heart.

As for me, I'm simply a curmudgeonly, grumpy old goat who intensely dislikes not getting my own way... ask anyone who knows me! So not getting what I want, i.e., the rest of a long life, is just something I reject out of hand. Ain't happenin'. End of story. If for no other reason than I plan to be around to TORMENT those in my life that truly deserve it! :grin-devilish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4tYn-5szDw

:eek::wink::thumbup:

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My wife has stage 4 breast cancer. She had a lumpectomy about six years ago. The surgeon told us he got it all, so she opted out of post op radiation and chemo.

She started having trouble walking about two years ago, so a year ago she finally went in for a checkup. The doc ordered an MRI and they told us she has at least a hundred lesions on her spine and ribs. They almost ate through to the spinal column.

Her doc told me she had four to six months. I put us both on a very low carb diet, and she has been doing hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT). Insurance doesn't pay for it, but a local place is cheap enough. Twenty treatments for $90 each. Three days a week, one hour at three atmospheres 100% oxygen. Total time in the chamber is ninety minutes.

Prior to starting HBOT, her cancer marker CA15-3 was rising. We'l get another blood test next week when she finishes the 20th session, then sign up for twenty more, but this time go for 90 minutes at depth, 120 minutes total.

I am also exploring high dose intravenous vitamin C. It's expensive, probably $200 each, three days a week. I know it can be done at home, looking into how to do that.

Oral vitamin c is not good enough. It's an anti-oxidant, which helps the cancer. High dose IVC is actually a pro-oxidant. It combines with iron and forms hydrogen peroxide (free radicals). Normal cells can deal with it, but not cancer.

Watch anything by Dr. Dominic D'Agostino and Thomas Seyfried. Also, listen to a podcast Dr. Dom was on with Peter Attia. It's two hours and forty minutes, but very interesting.

Ketogenic Diet & Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy | Full Lecture by Dominic D'Agostino PhD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGN_DV9UVSU

Peter Attia/D'Agastino podcast (scroll down just a bit on the page to get to the podcast link):
https://peterattiamd.com/domdagostino/

Vitamin C:
https://riordanclinic.org/what-we-do/high-dose-iv-vitamin-c/