(New) Mental System for Pool Players from Zero-X

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From Zero-X

New Pool Instruction Video by Tor Lowry - MENTAL SYSTEM FOR POOL
PLAYERS!

The whole Zero-X Billiards Team is so excited about Tor's new release, MENTAL SYSTEM FOR POOL PLAYERS! Tor Lowry has always known the importance of the mental game in pool and has always stressed this to all the players he has trained through the years, especially through his '14 Days The Great Pool Experiment' program.

He's always been an avid reader of mental training books for athletes, and has for many years been writing his own theories about, not just the importance of the mental game, but effective strategies any player can use, regardless of their skill level! Tor decided many months ago to begin combining what he learned through reading and studying top mental system books like, 'Think Like Tiger,' 'The Art of Mental Training,' 'A Guide to Performance Excellence' and 'The Inner Game of Tennis,' all excellent guides to the inner workings of the elite athlete at the peak of their game, with all the strategies he used through his own years of playing and teaching pool. The result is a powerful system that any pool player can start using right away regardless of skill level.

This system is designed to combat distractions when they surface, quiet the inner demons that sabotage a player's game, and create a mental environment where the player can play at the peak level game after game!

Tor's new release MENTAL SYSTEM FOR POOL PLAYERS is now available in DVD or as a Digital Download! FREE shipping in the U.S. for a limited time! (International customers may write to zeroxbilliards@gmail.com for a shipping quote.) Limited quantities available so order yours today by clicking the link or image below: https://www.zerox-billiards.com/mental-system-pool-players

Get yours today - quantities of DVD's are limited! Order yours today by clicking HERE! Promotional pricing ends soon! Tor's '12 Instructional Videos' In this release, Tor covers several aspects of pool to take your game to that next level. Here are the videos in this collection: POSITION PRINCIPLES Skill Level Drive to Rail Coin Trick Breaking Tips 36 Ball Pocketing Drills 8 Ball Drills Stun Drills Recovery Shots Center Ball run-outs Stroke Mechanics Safeties Draw Drills Includes FIVE ebooks! CLICK IMAGE TO PURCHASE!

Check out this awesome promotion! Awesome LOW price and if you purchase Tor's Complete Zero-X DVD Collection, you'll receive a FREE digital download of DIAMOND SYSTEMS! CLICK IMAGE TO PURCHASE!

If you live outside the U.S., please write to zeroxbilliards@gmail.com to obtain shipping quotation! Mailing address: Zero-X Billiards, PO Box 1359, Saint George, UT, 84770, US Unsubscribe from future emails.

Thank you for your support.

End.

John :)

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have found through many, many years of playing , reading, studying this game that they very best "mental" system for pool for me is the following: the need to develop a a complete routine that is repeated on each and every shot throughout an entire match. the routine begins with table layout analysis, proceeds to shot selection ( for nine ball that would be position decision in three shot groupings) , proceeds then to "sighting" the very next shot at hand to pre determine aim (While still standing), proceeds to determination of speed, english(if required for desired resultant position) and stroke required - all for the next given shot, proceeds to coming down directly in line with that shot, then your warm up strokes, and then- MOST important- those last seconds where your final focus is intense on the object ball and relaxed on the cue grip simultaneously -AS THE CUE is released.
All of this takes only a matter of 10 to 20 seconds for each shot when you are in the right frame of mind, and if you are a fully seasoned player. Almost all great pros and road players do this, even if they don't realize it or cannot verbalize it - for many it was just developed through years of play and practice.
A correct, repeatable, mechanically sound routine keeps you in a mental state that will bring you to that "dead stroke" state more often and for greater time periods, and voids outside distractions. It will keep the rhythm of your game at the correct tempo for you, and help eliminate negative thoughts during a match. Everything else you read about the "mental' side of the game is useless- unless you have a repeatable, sound, process of decision and execution that is followed on each and every shot.

Confidence in sports only comes from seeing your own successful results - successful results in sports most often come from the ability to have a fully relaxed physical state at the point of intense final focus execution, some great champions in sports are more naturally wired to achieve this state more consistently than the average person, some great champions recognized that this is what they need to compete at highest levels and they developed a repeatable routine that gets them in this state most consistently - often referred to as " the will to win"

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have found through many, many years of playing , reading, studying this game that they very best "mental" system for pool for me is the following: the need to develop a a complete routine that is repeated on each and every shot throughout an entire match. the routine begins with table layout analysis, proceeds to shot selection ( for nine ball that would be position decision in three shot groupings) , proceeds then to "sighting" the very next shot at hand to pre determine aim (While still standing), proceeds to determination of speed, english(if required for desired resultant position) and stroke required - all for the next given shot, proceeds to coming down directly in line with that shot, then your warm up strokes, and then- MOST important- those last seconds where your final focus is intense on the object ball and relaxed on the cue grip simultaneously -AS THE CUE is released.
All of this takes only a matter of 10 to 20 seconds for each shot when you are in the right frame of mind, and if you are a fully seasoned player. Almost all great pros and road players do this, even if they don't realize it or cannot verbalize it - for many it was just developed through years of play and practice.
A correct, repeatable, mechanically sound routine keeps you in a mental state that will bring you to that "dead stroke" state more often and for greater time periods, and voids outside distractions. It will keep the rhythm of your game at the correct tempo for you, and help eliminate negative thoughts during a match. Everything else you read about the "mental' side of the game is useless- unless you have a repeatable, sound, process of decision and execution that is followed on each and every shot.

Confidence in sports only comes from seeing your own successful results - successful results in sports most often come from the ability to have a fully relaxed physical state at the point of intense final focus execution, some great champions in sports are more naturally wired to achieve this state more consistently than the average person, some great champions recognized that this is what they need to compete at highest levels and they developed a repeatable routine that gets them in this state most consistently - often referred to as " the will to win"

World Champion snooker players play at 4-6 seconds per shot. I feel 10-20 seconds per shot takes its toll during grinding matches (not just for the fans watching) but for the players themselves.

I really think, if focused on the material in Tor's video (more importantly the "inner game of Tennis" material) about suppressing the conscious mind and letting the subconscious mind take over--for this to happen, the per shot time has to be at a snooker players' pace. Yes, the fundamentals and Pre shot routine still need to be there, but efficiently. The more analytical time and pre-shot routine time means there's a better chance of the conscious mind jumping with it's own two cents and that's where the breakdown starts.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From Zero-X

New Pool Instruction Video by Tor Lowry - MENTAL SYSTEM FOR POOL
PLAYERS!

John :)

I believe this is one of the best videos Tor ever created in his vast catalogue of excellent videos. This video transcends pool and can be applied to all other sports and activities that require solitary performance from within the mind.

Like the great book "inner Game of Tennis" is not just about Tennis, "Mental Systems for Pool" is not just about pool.

Congratulations and respect to Tor for the massive amounts of editing and narrative work that went into this video. It is a great success.

karppa68

Registered
World Champion snooker players play at 4-6 seconds per shot. I feel 10-20 seconds per shot takes its toll during grinding matches (not just for the fans watching) but for the players themselves.

I really think, if focused on the material in Tor's video (more importantly the "inner game of Tennis" material) about suppressing the conscious mind and letting the subconscious mind take over--for this to happen, the per shot time has to be at a snooker players' pace. Yes, the fundamentals and Pre shot routine still need to be there, but efficiently. The more analytical time and pre-shot routine time means there's a better chance of the conscious mind jumping with it's own two cents and that's where the breakdown starts.

The fastest average shot time for players in the world snooker tour atm is Thepchaiya Un-Nooh at 15.04 seconds. Most are around 20 seconds or more...

http://livescores.worldsnookerdata.com/TourPlayers/Index/14084

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Agree that the time it takes for the entire shot sequence can in fact be much shorter than 10-20 seconds- THAT will be up to each person's inner clock- but usually the most efficient time lapse is the most desirable-Agree!

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The fastest average shot time for players in the world snooker tour atm is Thepchaiya Un-Nooh at 15.04 seconds. Most are around 20 seconds or more...

http://livescores.worldsnookerdata.com/TourPlayers/Index/14084

I was thinking more for how long it takes when the cue ball stops rolling and ref has spotted the color--the players are usually down on the shot or in the pre-shot routine within a few seconds.
Maybe I watch too much Ronnie, but he is sometimes waiting for the ref to spot but is ready to shoot.

But yes you are correct, official time is the official time.

You would have to agree they play faster than pool players and they even have to walk around a bigger table. However the latest crop of pool players, from Jayson Shaw to Joshua Filler play fast and I think it benefits their mental game.

karppa68

Registered
I was thinking more for how long it takes when the cue ball stops rolling and ref has spotted the color--the players are usually down on the shot or in the pre-shot routine within a few seconds.
Maybe I watch too much Ronnie, but he is sometimes waiting for the ref to spot but is ready to shoot.

But yes you are correct, official time is the official time.

You would have to agree they play faster than pool players and they even have to walk around a bigger table. However the latest crop of pool players, from Jayson Shaw to Joshua Filler play fast and I think it benefits their mental game.

I agree that many pool players as well as snooker players(!) use too much time which makes also spectating frustrating. But also too fast play looks sloppy if they can't execute.

Also in snooker, for example in the shoot-out tournament, the 10 second shot clock really shows how much a 5 sec reduction can reduce quality in play. Thepchaiya Un-Nooh's 139 was really amazing this year.

I think the Mosconi cup shot clock rules with an extension are close to perfection taking into account both spectators and players.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
World Champion snooker players play at 4-6 seconds per shot. I feel 10-20 seconds per shot takes its toll during grinding matches (not just for the fans watching) but for the players themselves. ...
Which reminds me of a story from Walter Lindrum's biography. (Lindrum was perhaps the most talented cueman who ever lived. It's unfortunate that so few people in cue sports recognize the name. He played English billiards.) Early in his career a potential backer pointed out to him that he would be at the table for hours at a time and it would be easier on him if he shot faster rather than slower. He held lots of records for fastest play. Some of his matches were a week long and to about 20,000 points (about 8,000 shots at English billiards).

Mosconi also played quickly at something like 200 balls per hour including rack time at 14.1. I clocked Hohmann at 230 balls per hour.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which reminds me of a story from Walter Lindrum's biography. (Lindrum was perhaps the most talented cueman who ever lived. It's unfortunate that so few people in cue sports recognize the name. He played English billiards.) Early in his career a potential backer pointed out to him that he would be at the table for hours at a time and it would be easier on him if he shot faster rather than slower. He held lots of records for fastest play. Some of his matches were a week long and to about 20,000 points (about 8,000 shots at English billiards).

Mosconi also played quickly at something like 200 balls per hour including rack time at 14.1. I clocked Hohmann at 230 balls per hour.

Ive heard people like Hohmann say, "a whole hour?, really?"....."it didn't seem that long".

I guess its their mental game taking over that causes the time to fly by.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Walter really was good. Here is video him to making 100 points on English Billiards. Game is played on Snooker table
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBdRmVJtTPc&t=

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Walter really was good. Here is video him to making 100 points on English Billiards. Game is played on Snooker table
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBdRmVJtTPc&t=

man makes it look so easy..

some of his stats (per wiki) are incredible:
"In June 1927 in Melbourne he claimed a world speed record when he scored 816 points in 23 minutes in an unfinished break."
"His world record break of 4,137 was made in a match against Joe Davis at Thurston Hall, London on 19 January 1932.
Lindrum occupied the table for 2 hours 55 minutes, for about 1,900 consecutive scoring shots."

I find the fact that he could play fast, but also successfully over a long period of time particularly amazing.

bob, what made him so talented tho?
apparently he came from a billiards family and practiced a lot,
but he must have had a great instinct and intelligence for the game, to play so quickly- à la efren, ronnie, etc.
is it that? is it his technique? all of it?
what makes walter stand out as "perhaps the most talented cueman who ever lived"- ?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
man makes it look so easy..

some of his stats (per wiki) are incredible:
"In June 1927 in Melbourne he claimed a world speed record when he scored 816 points in 23 minutes in an unfinished break."
"His world record break of 4,137 was made in a match against Joe Davis at Thurston Hall, London on 19 January 1932.
Lindrum occupied the table for 2 hours 55 minutes, for about 1,900 consecutive scoring shots."

I find the fact that he could play fast, but also successfully over a long period of time particularly amazing.

bob, what made him so talented tho?
apparently he came from a billiards family and practiced a lot,
but he must have had a great instinct and intelligence for the game, to play so quickly- à la efren, ronnie, etc.
is it that? is it his technique? all of it?
what makes walter stand out as "perhaps the most talented cueman who ever lived"- ?
His grandfather was a good player and defeated John Roberts Sr. in 1865. Walter's father and older brother were players. His father ran billiard rooms in the goldfields of Australia and elsewhere. Walter watched his older brother (by 10 years) being trained by his father and wanted very much to play. Billiards was what his family did. He was allowed to start practicing when he was about 8 or 9 and (according to his biography) was allowed to use only one ball for the first six months. At 12 he saw John Roberts Jr. play and later claimed he could remember and replay an entire 600-point break that Roberts had made.

Interestingly, Walter's father changed him from a naturally right-handed player to playing left-handed. That was because Walter was missing part of a finger on his right hand and could not grip the cue well with it. In films/videos you can notice his bridge hand does not look quite right. Sigel is also a right-hander who shoots left.

I urge everyone to get and read this biography by Andrew Ricketts which is packed full of interesting historical details:

Ricketts.jpg

pab

Center ball can do it all
Silver Member
It's just the standard size for snooker -- 6x12 feet. Here's a video of Trump winning the World Snooker championship last May:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyCI7SezgUg

Thank you for that link, Bob.

I remember when I was started playing pool on a bar box. The first time i saw a 9' table, it looked like a football field.

The snooker table is unbelievable! I've never really watched the game being played before, but very much enjoyed that video.

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thought this thread was about Tors vidio on the mental game? The Book Inner Tennis has been around a long time , and used by many in other sports.The left and right side of the brain working differently on mechanics during practice and the visual of the shot during play are facts. If you never read the book you dont know what its about and if you haven't seen the video you dont know enough to comment on it. And if you think the mental side doesnt matter ?

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thought this thread was about Tors vidio on the mental game? The Book Inner Tennis has been around a long time , and used by many in other sports.The left and right side of the brain working differently on mechanics during practice and the visual of the shot during play are facts. If you never read the book you dont know what its about and if you haven't seen the video you dont know enough to comment on it. And if you think the mental side doesnt matter ?

Yeah Rico, its pretty sad that this thread went sideways. The whole intent was to inform players that Zero-X has produced a new video (available on DVD or Digital Download) helping students with the mental side of the game.

The video is excellent and is an eye opener.

For those that have viewed the video your comments posted here are very welcome.

Thank you. :)

John

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will say that the video has really changed what I'm doing. My results are very interesting. I think it will take some effort to let go, but when I do, WOW...

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, I'm a Patreon member and still ordered and bought a copy. No Buyers Remorse. Love You Tor....