Diamond Pro Am

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just some questions regarding the Pro Am.

1. Ball return only...no drop pocket version available.
2. Pro cut or league cut pockets.
3. 1 piece or 3 piece slate available (on ALL diamond tables now.)

4. Is going with 3 piece going to affect the leveling mechanism? RKC? :)

This is a Pro Am correct?
https://youtu.be/dxFtAYDe54M?t=53m49s

Why does it have drop pockets?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxFtAYDe54M&feature=youtu.be&t=1h7m14s

Our club house just bought DiamondProAm with the ball return. The ball rack (where to place your balls) is optional. The mechanical bridge holder is optional also.
Drop pockets are great for 1P players.

Last edited:

Brags

Banned
Our club house just bought DiamondProAm with the ball return. The ball rack (where to place your balls) is optional. The mechanical bridge holder is optional also. Drop pockets are great for 1P players.

Yes...but in those links isn't that a Pro Am with drop pockets?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

1. Ball return only...no drop pocket version available.
3. 1 piece or 3 piece slate available (on ALL diamond tables now.)

4. Is going with 3 piece going to affect the leveling mechanism? RKC? :)

This is a Pro Am correct?
https://youtu.be/dxFtAYDe54M?t=53m50s

Why does it have drop pockets?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxFtAYDe54M&feature=youtu.be&t=1h7m14s
That looks like a pro/am but i know the pro is available with legs that look like pro/am legs.

Last edited:

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think this depends on (a) your skill level, (b) the skill level of others who will play on the table and (c) what other tables you will be playing/competing on.

I play quite often on 9' Diamonds with pro cut pockets. Once the cloth is broken in the table plays tough. Even good players will regularly hang a ball if they don't hit it well. So if you (or whoever you are playing with) are a "C" player or lower (e.g., won't regularly run 3 or 4 balls of 9b), I think the pro cut will frustrate you. If you get frustrated you won't play.

I recently played on a 9' Diamond with league cut pockets. The pockets played noticeably easier - not buckets, but you had a much larger margin of error. A recreational player (with no desire to play tournaments or other important matches at a pool hall having pro cuts) will probably get much more enjoyment out of a league cut table.

Brags

Banned
I think this depends on (a) your skill level, (b) the skill level of others who will play on the table and (c) what other tables you will be playing/competing on.

I play quite often on 9' Diamonds with pro cut pockets. Once the cloth is broken in the table plays tough. Even good players will regularly hang a ball if they don't hit it well. So if you (or whoever you are playing with) are a "C" player or lower (e.g., won't regularly run 3 or 4 balls of 9b), I think the pro cut will frustrate you. If you get frustrated you won't play.

I recently played on a 9' Diamond with league cut pockets. The pockets played noticeably easier - not buckets, but you had a much larger margin of error. A recreational player (with no desire to play tournaments or other important matches at a pool hall having pro cuts) will probably get much more enjoyment out of a league cut table.

Sorry that wasn't a question...just listing the options. :) I am getting pro cut.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The table in the videos you linked definitely looks like a Pro/AM, not a Professional with the newer leg option. You can tell because the long side of the table on the Pro/AM has a skirt piece that is visible in the video. The Professional does not have this skirt piece on its long side.

I too thought the Pro/AM was only available as a ball return. I guess its available as both?

Brags

Banned
The table in the videos you linked definitely looks like a Pro/AM, not a Professional with the newer leg option. You can tell because the long side of the table on the Pro/AM has a skirt piece that is visible in the video. The Professional does not have this skirt piece on its long side.

I too thought the Pro/AM was only available as a ball return. I guess its available as both?

Ya I'm confused too. :)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Their site only shows pro/ams as ball return. I guess if you got the $$$ they'll do what you want.

Last edited:

PUTT4DACA$$H

Silver Member
Drop pockets

I have changed several Mosconi cup pro-am to drop pockets...in the big televised events they like to put a hyper-sensitve microphone under the belly of the table and with ball returns you get a ten second background noise of the ball rolling around inside the ball collector and then a big THUD when the ball drops off the ball drop ledge into the return ....that is why I would assume the same for this event..drop pockets eliminate the noise..hope that answers some questions....
PS that way you get the one piece slate of a pro-am with the drop pockets... professional is usually a 3 pc slate table used where a Proam on a cart cannot go...usually....

Gordon Graham

Last edited:

Brags

Banned
I have changed several Mosconi cup pro-am to drop pockets...in the big televised events they like to put a hyper-sensitve microphone under the belly of the table and with ball returns you get a ten second background noise of the ball rolling around inside the ball collector and then a big THUD when the ball drops off the ball drop ledge into the return ....that is why I would assume the same for this event..drop pockets eliminate the noise..hope that answers some questions....

Gordon Graham

That totally makes sense.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Hey Diamond I want this and that, ok, cool. What in the possible F#^$ is so hard about that???? If they can't do it order a gold crown, you get a better table anyway
Jason