When will pool be dead?

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So yesterday I went to my billiards hall again. Told the guy that worked there that I asked on a forum and they said pool was a bunch of old people and dying. He said "Not sure about it being all old people around here. But yes pool is dying." So if pool is dying what constitutes it as dead? When does that point happen? Also what would constitute it as being alive and thriving?

By the way covid 19 is still going on so it might not be the best indicator of how many people are usually in this pool hall. But I got there around 5:30 pm and was there till 7ish. And it was just me and the guy that worked there and 2 other people.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So yesterday I went to my billiards hall again. Told the guy that worked there that I asked on a forum and they said pool was a bunch of old people and dying. He said "Not sure about it being all old people around here. But yes pool is dying." So if pool is dying what constitutes it as dead? When does that point happen? Also what would constitute it as being alive and thriving?

By the way covid 19 is still going on so it might not be the best indicator of how many people are usually in this pool hall. But I got there around 5:30 pm and was there till 7ish. And it was just me and the guy that worked there and 2 other people.
Why are you worried about it? Pool won't die off. There will always be somewhere to play.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Rumor has it pool is rapidly being overtaken by soft tip darts.

Enjoy it while you can.

:thud:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its a generational thing. Every generation says the prior one was great. I started playing in the 90's and the rooms were packed with a waiting list. Now in the 2020's my local rooms are about all shut down, and the remaining ones are rarely half full.

And from what I hear of those older than me, in the 70's there were even more rooms, more players, more action, etc.

And in the 1950's even more.

And in the 1920's there was a room on every block in major cities.

Etc.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Maybe you guys can explain why you are not giving this honest answers?

In the book about the life of Willie Mosconi's Life, called Willie's World, it is stated early in the book Pool was never as big as the year of Willie's Birth, 1913.

It has declined over the years, has had some injections of life post movie, the Hustler, post movie, Color of Money.

I do not know your age Jamie, I first play pool in 1953 at The Boys Club of America in Miami, FL. Boys stood or sat waiting their turn to play the winner of last game of 8 ball.

We did not have computers, we did not have hand held electronic games, IPhone, IPads, or Xbox, or Nintendo. Like in the last 10 years or so. Longer could be?

Different time, Pool is a great game, but it is not easy to learn to be good. No instant gratification like computer game give.

I am not sure you will like my answer. BTW I met Mosconi in the 1960's, in cousins business in Burbank, CA. His Cousin Lou is a life long friend over 55+ years, , now Lou is in a Care Facility in Sin City.

Lou Sr., was mention mentioned in Willie Game, as apprently Willie stay with Lou Sr., in Hollywood.

Last edited:

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Yet there are millions of bar boxes out there, being used every day. Leagues galore, tons of young and middle aged players. The pool hall/bar I frequent is packed on the Saturday tournament, about every weekend.

The only thing near dead are smoke filled pool halls with shady characters on shady street corners with 30 9 foot tables.

Plenty of old guys here because like any forum, the young guys are on Fakebook and Instasquirt.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its a generational thing. Every generation says the prior one was great. I started playing in the 90's and the rooms were packed with a waiting list. Now in the 2020's my local rooms are about all shut down, and the remaining ones are rarely half full.

And from what I hear of those older than me, in the 70's there were even more rooms, more players, more action, etc.

And in the 1950's even more.

And in the 1920's there was a room on every block in major cities.

Etc.

I see.

Sure - what pool forum were you told pool is all "old people" and it's dying?

This one in my thread on popularity of pool and average age. The old people thing might be a bit of a stretch.

In the book about the life of Willie Mosconi's Life, called Willie's World, it is stated early in the book Pool was never as big as the year of Willie's Birth, 1913.

It has declined over the years, has had some injections of life post movie, the Hustler, post movie, Color of Money.

I do not know your age Jamie, I first play pool in 1953 at The Boys Club of America in Miami, FL. Boys stood or sat waiting their turn to play the winner of last game of 8 ball.

We did not have computers, we did not have hand held electronic games, IPhone, IPads, or Xbox, or Nintendo. Like in the last 10 years or so. Longer could be?

Different time, Pool is a great game, but it is not easy to learn to be good. No instant gratification like computer game give.

I am not sure you will like my answer. BTW I met Mosconi in the 1960's, in cousins business in Burbank, CA. His Cousin Lou is a life long friend over 55+ years, , now Lou is in a Care Facility in Sin City.

Lou Sr., was mention mentioned in Willie Game, as apprently Willie stay with Lou Sr., in Hollywood.

Like I mentioned in a similar thread about pools popularity and average age. I am 31

Yet there are millions of bar boxes out there, being used every day. Leagues galore, tons of young and middle aged players. The pool hall/bar I frequent is packed on the Saturday tournament, about every weekend.

The only thing near dead are smoke filled pool halls with shady characters on shady street corners with 30 9 foot tables.

Plenty of old guys here because like any forum, the young guys are on Fakebook and Instasquirt.

I see so I need to do more facebook and such ok.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Maybe you guys can explain why you are not giving this honest answers?

Well, let's start off with because they are pool players. Then we will graduate to the fact that you only have one greenie, which is like being an APA 2. Plus it would help if you're from somewhere cool, like Macao or Ibiza would be good (not that they know where those are) maybe just add something like that to your profile. Maybe Kathmandu, gateway to Mt. Everest, and you're a Sherpa.

Maybe you should have stated it like "will pool be around if the Democrats take the senate?". Or " Buffalo are an endangered species, so why can they make tips out of them?". Or this one would have stumped them " what the heck is a ringtail lizard anyway?"

Those would have got some good answers. Anyway, I like you so I'm going to fill up your greenies in a few minutes, so these pool players start showing you a little respect. In the meantime, let's say you're from Paris, Texas.

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The future is all about cornhole.

BeneficialFrenchIntermediateegret-size_restricted.gif

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, let's start off with because they are pool players. Then we will graduate to the fact that you only have one greenie, which is like being an APA 2. Plus it would help if you're from somewhere cool, like Macao or Ibiza would be good (not that they know where those are) maybe just add something like that to your profile. Maybe Kathmandu, gateway to Mt. Everest, and you're a Sherpa.

Maybe you should have stated it like "will pool be around if the Democrats take the senate?". Or " Buffalo are an endangered species, so why can they make tips out of them?". Or this one would have stumped them " what the heck is a ringtail lizard anyway?"

Those would have got some good answers. Anyway, I like you so I'm going to fill up your greenies in a few minutes, so these pool players start showing you a little respect. In the meantime, let's say you're from Paris, Texas.

I have no idea what any of that is. Wait buffalo are an endangered species? I thoiught McDonald served me hamburgers with them.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I have no idea what any of that is. Wait buffalo are an endangered species? I thoiught McDonald served me hamburgers with them.

Where are you from? I'm afraid I need to withold the greenies due to receiving terroristic threats from River City. I'm not messing with that guy for anyone!

Last edited: