One for Jay Helfert...

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks - great match- probably not the cloth but the rails that made it look slower. Diamond tables/ rails are more lively than what you see here in this video.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Kim was a great player, player of the year in 1990 I believe. He won his share of tournaments and was definitely top ten on the pro tour in his prime. He was partners in a poolroom (Boulevard Billiards) in Modesto for many years until moving to Georgia to partner up with none other than Johnny Archer in their poolroom there. This was after his career ending eye injury about fifteen years ago.

Last I heard he was back in Modesto with his lovely wife Aida, enjoying his senior years playing golf and taking life easy. :wink:

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a poorly placed Simonis banner displayed. It can be seen briefly at about 5:35. I didn’t notice other cloth manufacturers’ banners. The year was ‘95. Simonis seems like a good guess.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
This is one of my favorite YouTube matches of all of them. I like the way they converse back-and-forth with one another, albeit briefly, as they play.

I wish the players weren't such stone-faced robots like they are today.

Maniac

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
It also caused me to think maybe winner break with longer races is a good format...

Gee, they played pretty good with that old equipment...;) Cues don't have LD shafts?

Sorry to hear Kim suffered an eye injury...

Weird aside on Modesto...I was born there back in..'43. Don't remember much about it. Moved to Oregon when I was 4...

Last edited:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kim was a great player, player of the year in 1990 I believe. He won his share of tournaments and was definitely top ten on the pro tour in his prime. He was partners in a poolroom (Boulevard Billiards) in Modesto for many years until moving to Georgia to partner up with none other than Johnny Archer in their poolroom there. This was after his career ending eye injury about fifteen years ago.

Last I heard he was back in Modesto with his lovely wife Aida, enjoying his senior years playing golf and taking life easy. :wink:

Nevermind, found the story. Freak accident/

Last edited:

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree

This is one of my favorite YouTube matches of all of them. I like the way they converse back-and-forth with one another, albeit briefly, as they play.

I wish the players weren't such stone-faced robots like they are today.

Maniac

I also agree with this while the precision of the players today may be advanced their cold stone face personalities take a lot away from a match.
I loved the personalities of 80's and 90's players.

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What happened?

To the best of my memory, Kimmer was practicing at a local driving range. A lawn mower caught a golf ball and spat it out into his eye. He has had multiple surgeries but was not able to regain full vision. The freakest accident I have ever heard of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay, weren't you around Modesto when Kim Davenport played?

Just finished watching this thriller between Kim and a young Johnny Archer. Had to be slower cloth than used today. The different equipment sure didn't lessen the drama of this one. Glad I found it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eunxk6Etu04&list=PLg6bQuWdqr_YpnEkOrJdh3ZVSiY6suben&index=7&t=0s

I lived there then and played out of Modesto from 85-89. The slow cloth was there until 88ish I’d guess. Sacramento got it first, was a few months before Barry put on the tables in Ferroni’s

(I didn’t look at the link yet)

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Makes

This match make me a absolute fan of winner breaks, what a great match this was. I'm pretty sure that was Kim's Sazamboti that he was paying with also.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I lived there then and played out of Modesto from 85-89. The slow cloth was there until 88ish I’d guess. Sacramento got it first, was a few months before Barry put on the tables in Ferroni’s

(I didn’t look at the link yet)

I lived in Modesto from ‘82-‘86 and was at Ferroni‘s most nights. We must have run across each other. Great pool hall.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This match make me a absolute fan of winner breaks, what a great match this was. I'm pretty sure that was Kim's Sazamboti that he was paying with also.

If he played with a Szamboti then that was it- a players cue style- no inlays from what I can see. I was looking at the cue in this match and the first thing i thought was a Szamboti four pointer.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kim was a great player, player of the year in 1990 I believe.

Someone told me last year he had opened an auto dealership in South Bend, Indiana (?).
Also heard of a new poolroom with pro equipment there, and wondered if he was associated with it? I WAS going to go there and track it down before the pandemic struck.

Nature Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I barely play any longer, but have always tried to keep up with the game. To me, alternate break was the beginning of the end of tournament play, especially for spectators.

I can run a rack once in a while, then sit down. If I’m going to spend the time and money going to an event, I want to see Earl put a six pack on somebody.

On another note, found the finals of the same tournament, another good match.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was only around Kim Davenport one time, as I have spent most of my time in the Midwest.

He came for an exhibition, and long story short, when he left I was a big fan. A real class guy, well spoken and represented billiards in a very positive light.

We sure need more folks like Kim in billiards.

He played very strong, very strong.

Ken