Here comes the "Masked Marvel"...

poolhallbanger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see him coming to a pool hall near you pretty soon. If thats what it takes to open pool halls again lets do it before they all go bankrupt. Also it just might be a good time to get all the pro's involved to make as many appearances as they can to jump start the industry and get people back into pool halls. The great game must make a big come back but it won't happen by itself so to all those streaming pool matches lets get this thing rolling and donate if you have to but keep pool alive otherwise its gonna get very boring and people are gonna find other ways to enjoy themselves. :grin:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend of mine opened a pool room in about 1985 or 86 , he wanted to do a grand opening and have a trick shot artist come in for a couple of hours. He got in touch with a guy that wasn't Mike Massey or Tom Rossman, but was at the top level of trick shot artists at that time.
The guy said sure , it will be $5000.00 , yes 5 thousand , for 2 or 3 hours max my buddy hung up on him lol.
It would be a hilarious story, if it wasn't true.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bolded the funniest part of your post. So are you expecting "all the pros" to just step up and donate their time and travel expenses? LMAO That'll happen about the same time we land astronauts on Mars...basically never in our lifetime. Not that they (all those pros) shouldn't do what you're saying (since I'm a pool entertainer as well), but it will never happen unless you pay them...and pay them well. With being out of business and generating no income for months on end, the pool halls will not be able to make this happen.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

I see him coming to a pool hall near you pretty soon. If thats what it takes to open pool halls again lets do it before they all go bankrupt. it just might be a good time to get all the pro's involved to make as many appearances as they can to jump start the industry and get people back into pool halls. The great game must make a big come back but it won't happen by itself so to all those streaming pool matches lets get this thing rolling and donate if you have to but keep pool alive otherwise its gonna get very boring and people are gonna find other ways to enjoy themselves. :grin:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What was your friend expecting...a couple hundred bucks? Should have picked Rossman. He was just starting out back then, and probably would have come for a couple hundred bucks. $5K would be a bit outrageous even today (my rate is $500/hr, two hour minimum + expenses)...although Venom's rate is $4K! BTW, is that room still open? I'd guess not.

Scott Lee

A friend of mine opened a pool room in about 1985 or 86 , he wanted to do a grand opening and have a trick shot artist come in for a couple of hours. He got in touch with a guy that wasn't Mike Massey or Tom Rossman, but was at the top level of trick shot artists at that time.
The guy said sure , it will be $5000.00 , yes 5 thousand , for 2 or 3 hours max my buddy hung up on him lol.
It would be a hilarious story, if it wasn't true.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I bolded the funniest part of your post. So are you expecting "all the pros" to just step up and donate their time and travel expenses? LMAO That'll happen about the same time we land astronauts on Mars...basically never in our lifetime. Not that they (all those pros) shouldn't do what you're saying (since I'm a pool entertainer as well), but it will never happen unless you pay them...and pay them well. With being out of business and generating no income for months on end, the pool halls will not be able to make this happen.

Scott Lee

People who have never been self employeed do not understand most self employed people are not making a killing on their businesses.

First they have what I call expenses, before they ever make a profit on what left after expenses. Self employeed people donate 17% of their income to just Social Security, as they pay the eployeers half, and employees half.

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member
I see him coming to a pool hall near you pretty soon. If thats what it takes to open pool halls again lets do it before they all go bankrupt. Also it just might be a good time to get all the pro's involved to make as many appearances as they can to jump start the industry and get people back into pool halls. The great game must make a big come back but it won't happen by itself so to all those streaming pool matches lets get this thing rolling and donate if you have to but keep pool alive otherwise its gonna get very boring and people are gonna find other ways to enjoy themselves. :grin:
I dont know where you live but a hundred years ago (1970s) in NJ there was a guy who they called the Masked Marvel who would come in a play /shoot trick shots
Great guy RIP aka Trick Shot Wally

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What was your friend expecting...a couple hundred bucks? Should have picked Rossman. He was just starting out back then, and probably would have come for a couple hundred bucks. $5K would be a bit outrageous even today (my rate is $500/hr, two hour minimum + expenses)...although Venom's rate is $4K! BTW, is that room still open? I'd guess not.

Scott Lee

Some people expect "others" to WORK for little to nothing.

Most of the people that complain about pool are part of the problem they are complaining about. They are obviously not smart enough to understand.

Jeff

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Scott Lee

I actually remember Rossman from about 1990 , really nice guy , he lived in an apartment behind a poolroom I went to. I am sure he would have been happy to make a couple thousand for a day and would have put on a much better show , My friend would have probably paid the guy 2500 , he wasn't a typical pool nit. but 5000 in 85 for a trick shot artist was absolutely ridiculous. yes the room is still open owner retired from it , he did have other players come for exhibitions in the years following, but never that guy. Venom at 4 k in 2020 coming from Italy seems like a very reasonable amount to me , but I don't know if you were in the pool scene in 1985 , but there was not a huge following for trick shot artists at that time , Massey and Rossman gave it popularity to the regular folks. imo in the 90s

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some people expect "others" to WORK for little to nothing.

Most of the people that complain about pool are part of the problem they are complaining about. They are obviously not smart enough to understand.

Jeff

None of what you are talking about is in this thread .
Scott just said Venom charges 4000.00 and it is 2020 35 years later.
He said he would charge 1000 plus expenses , plane tickets, hotel, food, transportation 2500? for 2 hours, in 2020 that seems reasonable.
Everything you said is true , you just made the mistake of putting it in a thread where it makes no sense .
Do you like apples?