Have you witnessed shots that you would not believe unless seen in person or on video

I have read pool stories on here about players who have done things that are just unbelievable, like certain types of bank shots for example, that were done on the 1st try after a bet was made.

Would love to hear some stories about unbelievable shots, or other pool related things that you have actually witnessed in person, or at least seen on video.

I have never really witnessed any kind of unbelievable play before, but I do hope to someday.

Was watching Filler play Chohan the other day, in 1 pocket, and some of the shots and position play that he did were really impressive. It was probably the most entertaining pool that I have ever seen, and that it saying a lot, considering that One Pocket is usually very boring for me. Filler made it exciting though. Chohan played really good too, and made some really cool shots.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any stories about some really far out, unbelievable play or shots that you have witnessed in the past.

Video links (and the times of the shots) would be even better.

I would like to add that I only want to see or hear about shots of pure skill, not luck. There is a big difference, because though I have seen many really great shots, I think that they were at least in part due to luck also. I hope you understand what I mean by that.

Thanks.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to add that I only want to see or hear about shots of pure skill, not luck. There is a big difference, because though I have seen many really great shots, I think that they were at least in part due to luck also. I hope you understand what I mean by that.

What do you think of Efren's famous "Z" kick against' Earl?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbKeJ8jIRB4

I say it was "skill" to hit the ball and "pure luck" to make it.

There are tons of examples of shots like that. Hail Mary shots...once in a million.

If the guy is a good player, everyone will call it "skill".

If the guy is a not so good player, they will call it "luck".

Good players get "lucky", too.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There are tons of examples of shots like that. Hail Mary shots...once in a million.

Efren always gets lucky, he'll tell you that himself.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member

Was told I had to wait to give you a greenie...so I'm quoting in agreement.

Efren is really great, and maybe the greatest pool player of all time, but I believe that though that was a really great hit, there was some luck involved in making that shot. If that shot was pure skill, then he could make it every time, and even he probably could not make that shot 1 out of 30 tries. Not sure how many tries I would give him to make that same shot, but I do believe that he could at least hit the object ball most of the time. He has always been very modest, so I am sure that he would probably say that it was a lucky shot too.

This is the type of thing that I am asking about. I forget the Bank players name, but he has been called the greatest Bank player who ever lived. I read on here about Bank shots that he would place huge bets on (like maybe a $500 bet, which would have been a lot of money during his era), and he would nail the shot on the 1st try. I forgot his name though, so can't look up the AZB thread.

That was really cool. The hit was pure skill, but was that an intentional shot though, that he made? I do not know about that. Did he really know that the cue ball would go up that high, and come back down like that, for the carom combo shot that he made? Looked super cool, but I would have liked to seen him call that shot, just in case he did nail it, as intended? Like I said, who knows if he intended to make that shot?

Of course, there's the Vernon Elliot impossible bank, but here's an impossible cut shot care of Bob Jewett.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaSKh1PSqok

I still don't know how he did it!

Thanks. Vernon Elliot was the player who I could not remember the name of. He would place bets on bank shots, and nail them on his 1st, or 2nd try, right?

I remember the impossible cut shot that Bob Jewett made.

There was this old timer that I knew in Evansville IN, when I lived there several years ago, who would tell me that he could make that same shot, but he needed me to give him like 20 tries to make it.

This other old timer from Evansville told me that he used to play Vernon Elliot bank pool, and Vernon would only spot him 1 ball, and he told me that he had beat him before with just the 1 ball spot. I thought that was really cool. He must have been in his mid 80's (I am guessing), and he could still play pretty strong. He offered lessons too.

TwinkleToes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Considering he lucked onto the 2 ball after making a good hit, that is by no means an extremely difficult shot. I am an average player at best, and I have pulled that shot off many times. I didn't figure out how to hit that shot, as a better player showed me how easy it was, and all I did was just what he told me to do. It baffles me why a lot of players over the years have ohhhh'd and ahhhh'd when I have pulled it off, again, because it is not difficult. I usually just think to myself when they are so amazed; "are you telling me they don't know that shot?" Honestly, an average player can learn that shot in about 15 minutes.

That was crazy, lol, but check out the shot that Jayson Shaw makes after that video ends. It is a draw off of the bottom short rail, and then come around 3 rails to make a ball in the corner pocket. That was really cool.

The 1st link does not work.

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Efren is really great, and maybe the greatest pool player of all time, but I believe that though that was a really great hit, there was some luck involved in making that shot. If that shot was pure skill, then he could make it every time, and even he probably could not make that shot 1 out of 30 tries. Not sure how many tries I would give him to make that same shot, but I do believe that he could at least hit the object ball most of the time. He has always been very modest, so I am sure that he would probably say that it was a lucky shot too.

This is the type of thing that I am asking about. I forget the Bank players name, but he has been called the greatest Bank player who ever lived. I read on here about Bank shots that he would place huge bets on (like maybe a $500 bet, which would have been a lot of money during his era), and he would nail the shot on the 1st try. I forgot his name though, so can't look up the AZB thread.

Lots of names could go in there, but Eddie Taylor comes immediately to mind...

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
this doesn't Sound dramatic, and it doesn't Look dramatic like a movie shot, but go ahead, try it.

about 10 years ago i walked into an unfamiliar room to play some straight pool. usually that brings mostly blank stares, an occasional nod, and a lot of ignorant guffaws from people who think i don't even know how to play 8-ball. however, the counterman in this place had played straight pool many years earlier, and came over to chat, then made a claim that he really, Really, REALLY should've made into a proposition bet.

he said back when he was playing 14.1 a lot, he could make a legal opening break, driving 2 balls to the cushions, and leave the cue ball frozen in the jaws of the upper pocket with no direct shot available. i invisibly rolled my eyes, of course -- as in, they probably went around a full 360. because it is clearly a ridiculous brag.

but then he grabbed his cue, i still remember it was a Joss butt with a 314 that didn't quite match for diameter on it, and waited while i set up the balls. on the first try, he came close but was well out of the pocket. mind you, this was his first try, and afaik he hadn't even played that day, because it was 5pm and the place had just opened.

he nailed the next 2.

jammed inside the pocket, no view of anything on the table, hanging over the edge. wtaf.

you could've knocked me over with a feather. seriously, that's like a 1:10,000 shot. i'll give you all day, you won't get close.

Last edited:

RoadRash57

Registered
That was really cool. The hit was pure skill, but was that an intentional shot though, that he made? I do not know about that. Did he really know that the cue ball would go up that high, and come back down like that, for the carom combo shot that he made? Looked super cool, but I would have liked to seen him call that shot, just in case he did nail it, as intended? Like I said, who knows if he intended to make that shot?

Well at the very least he knew what general direction the cue ball would travel after contacting the 2 right? I'm sure he knew that the odds of hitting the 5 at the right angle to make the 3 were low but my guess is that it was his intention.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have read pool stories on here about players who have done things that are just unbelievable, like certain types of bank shots for example, that were done on the 1st try after a bet was made.

Would love to hear some stories about unbelievable shots, or other pool related things that you have actually witnessed in person, or at least seen on video.

I have never really witnessed any kind of unbelievable play before, but I do hope to someday.

Was watching Filler play Chohan the other day, in 1 pocket, and some of the shots and position play that he did were really impressive. It was probably the most entertaining pool that I have ever seen, and that it saying a lot, considering that One Pocket is usually very boring for me. Filler made it exciting though. Chohan played really good too, and made some really cool shots.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any stories about some really far out, unbelievable play or shots that you have witnessed in the past.

Video links (and the times of the shots) would be even better.

Thanks.

Only a couple thousand. I had a guy tell me he could cut a ball in the side pocket one time, and the cueball was in the corner pocket at the foot of the table and the object ball was about a ball past the sidepocket on the other side of the table and out from the rail about a ball . He was desperate to make money and I offered him 5 dollars to show me the shot. He jumped the cue ball in the air and it bounced a couple of times and went over the object ball part way, and back cut it into the pocket. I thought it must be a very low % shot until he did it again the next shot. Unfortuneately no video of this shot it was in my basement .
Then theres this old thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dg7_erDujo

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well at the very least he knew what general direction the cue ball would travel after contacting the 2 right? I'm sure he knew that the odds of hitting the 5 at the right angle to make the 3 were low but my guess is that it was his intention.

I was playing 8-ball once on a bar table and I ran all 7 of my balls from the break and I missed position on the 8 ball by about two inches. The cue ball got in the center of the table where I wanted it, but it rolled up behind one of my opponents balls and stopped about two inches from it, with the entire width of the ball blocking me from the 8-ball.

My 8 ball was about a foot, or so away from the opposite side pocket from where my cue ball was on the other side closer to that pocket.

Every pocket was almost blocked by my opponents other 6 balls, so the only thing it looked like I had was some sort of kick to hit the 8-ball just to keep from fouling or a masse shot.

I called the 8-ball in the side pocket and did a vertical masse with my cue hitting the table light before I could get completely vertical.

I then hit the cue ball down table from behind my opponent's blocking ball, which was the only way the cue ball had a path to travel without hitting his ball.

The cue ball went down table about 2 feet, then made a U-turn, and came back and CUT the 8-ball in from an almost 90 degree angle.

Was it "luck' or "skill"? I called the shot before I shot it.

I had lots of people who saw that shot buy me a beer right afterward.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
match

Best I remember it was the 2006 or 2007 semi-finals DCC one pocket. I don't remember one shot standing out but Corey Dueul and Efren played a fantastic match. Great cue ball control from both of them.

Johnny A on bar table. He had to kick into the foot rail with sidespin because of my ball he was against. With ten balls or so on the table he zee banked to the head rail and hit the intended ball about one diamond out from the corner pocket just off the head rail. The shot was perfect but out of gas, the fifteen ball hung in the jaws. Eight rails including hitting every rail on the table, two twice. Equally impressive, he never touched another ball in that crowded field. He spent a couple minutes laying out the shot holding his stick in his hand over the table so no question that it wasn't planned just like it happened.

I tried setting up the shot the best I remembered it, I tried setting it up with just the primary balls on the table and all of the traffic off the table. In two or three hours trying over the next few weeks I never even made contact with the fifteen.

Oddly enough when the fifteen didn't fall, that remains the most impressive shot ever played against me on a pool table.

Hu