Is the Break Shot Overrated?

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Are you going to act 5-0 on me?!?
Listen there, straight arrow, they invented this thing on the upper right portion of this screen that is called, "SEARCH." That nifty little bar can be used to answer all your "newbie", redundant questions that have been asked since this forum was first started. The dumb questions you need answered that have been asked MANY times before are all in that search button. All you are doing is just trying to be annoying by posting crap just to access some stuff on this forum (the whole 50 posts or more to use pictures and what-not). I get it. As far as you calling me those derogatory names... well, you sure as hell must be an adult with a mentality of a child to call me an "AHOLE POS". I said you are lame as hell, and I stand by my comment, considering how immature you are. You think the break is not important?? How the f**k else are you going to continue running the balls IF YOU CANNOT BREAK THE F**KING RACK?!?! COMMON SENSE, YOU BIG DUMMY!! Even a newbie can tell you how important breaking the rack is. Man dude, I hope you are not another Travis Trotter.... :banghead:

I only view AZ on my phone and the Search function DOES NOT WORK.

if I want to search for something I Google it and add AZ Billiards to the search.

Fun thread though lol

Reactions: JC

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
against weak players i always tried to give them the break as part of the spot. they rarely got any advantage of it.
if you cant run out then the break is of little use.

Regardless of the ability of the person getting the breaks, they are definitely getting the benefit of a good player NOT breaking. If I can put several racks together off the break...now I can’t. That’s a pretty big advantage for the person I’m giving all the breaks to. Whether that quantity of difference is sufficient to close the gap between two players is a separate issue from what the quantity of difference is. Something to consider.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m not a pro player and don’t play top pros.

When playing pool in my city it’s 95% American 8 ball. The break is important but meh...people rarely run out in 8 ball. We are playing more Chinese 8 ball lately and a little less important. In Snooker, not a big deal as long as you don’t flub it.

The issue with lots of Discussion stuff is folks act as if we are all playing Efren Reyes. I never play him. I’m playing my friends. Just like when we play Slowpitch or ball hockey And skills aren’t needed to beat the Yankees or the Montreal Canadians.

On this site Everyone claims to be running tables, however they are switching cues every 6 months and seeking magic aiming system number 1000...they can’t even pot a ball at 9 feet into 5” pocket...then need another another 25 video lessons on deflection.

The break at non pro levels is important but not all that important. Even in 9 ball many don’t run out so sinking a ball on the break is a positive but usually it doesn’t matter who sunk the first 5 balls...it’s the last 4 that count. I likely wouldn’t get a chance at the table against .Reyes or CJ Wiley, but I will against 95% of players if I don’t make a ball on the break.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know how you break and play.

The important thing is to know how your opponent breaks and plays.

Then you can determine the importance of the break.

middleofnowhere

Registered
I’m not a pro player and don’t play top pros.

When playing pool in my city it’s 95% American 8 ball. The break is important but meh...people rarely run out in 8 ball. We are playing more Chinese 8 ball lately and a little less important. In Snooker, not a big deal as long as you don’t flub it.

The issue with lots of Discussion stuff is folks act as if we are all playing Efren Reyes. I never play him. I’m playing my friends. Just like when we play Slowpitch or ball hockey And skills aren’t needed to beat the Yankees or the Montreal Canadians.

On this site Everyone claims to be running tables, however they are switching cues every 6 months and seeking magic aiming system number 1000...they can’t even pot a ball at 9 feet into 5” pocket...then need another another 25 video lessons on deflection.

The break at non pro levels is important but not all that important. Even in 9 ball many don’t run out so sinking a ball on the break is a positive but usually it doesn’t matter who sunk the first 5 balls...it’s the last 4 that count. I likely wouldn’t get a chance at the table against .Reyes or CJ Wiley, but I will against 95% of players if I don’t make a ball on the break.

I don't get the gist of your post. Are you saying most of the posters on here are phonies? You know according to this site they have over 68000 members and yes, many are top players. When a post is made on a subject it likely will attract a certain kind of poster who has an interest in responding.

In most cases I think you can take them at face value. They are not making up stuff. In fact you can quickly tell when you read a BS'er because it is hard to fake knowledge when talking to the knowledgable. They give themselves away pretty quickly. I am satasifed with most of the opinions I read on here. I may trust the posters on here more then any other forum I read.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even Shane breaks dry or scratches once in a while, or ends up with no shot.

Of course, you can't do something perfect 100% of the time, even machines fail that are built to do one thing. What are you expecting from people, if you break you break perfect every time or it may as well be random? It's like saying education is wasted unless you get a 100 on every test.

The key is to minimize errors and maximize chances to win/run out. Being good at breaking is not an accident or random, and if you know how to break you have an advantage over those that don't. Knowing about where the cueball is going and whatever ball is your next target is very important. Even at lower levels where you still get the first chance of a shot without having to push out or turn the table over because you did not make a ball.

Last edited:

stumpie71

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not a pro and far from it, however a few years ago I did an experiment, not scientific but anyways. I used a template and would pattern rack with all balls frozen. Also I made adjustments with angle of the rack, placement ( high, low, etc.) In addition to gaping certain balls with a shim. I would place the cb 16" from the rack and break, using approximately the same speeds, using a speed app to measure the speed.

I was astonished at the results. I could place targets on the table and hit the targets consistently. Even found a break that would leave a nice combo on the 9.

So no it's not overrated for the pros, and really not for amateurs either. While all facets of the game are important, knowledge of the break and attempting to perform the shot correctly is as important if not more than any other shot of the rack.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In rotation games its very important, especially at higher levels of play. With two players of fairly even ability its often what decides the winner. At lower levels its still a factor but not as much due to more misses by the players.

Mr. Dogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a partial copy/paste of a comment I made in another thread:

"... NOBODY understood the question. (I regret abbreviating the question in the title.) Last night, I wrote a lengthy post breaking down each and every line and word to explain the meaning of my question, but it did not show up. I don't know if there is a limit on the length of comments, or if I hit the wrong button, or what. I don't care to rewrite it, so let me just point out that words & phrases have meaning. "The skill of" is KEY. "Relatively" is vital to the question. The fact that I understand that " the OUTCOME of the break is important" was totally ignored. "Overrated" does not imply it is of NO consequence."

If y'all re-read my question with the above in mind, it may help you to understand my question. If not, oh well.

Edit:
To further clarify, "outcome of the break" refers to the resulting layout immediately after the break.

Last edited:

middleofnowhere

Registered
Here is a partial copy/paste of a comment I made in another thread:

"... NOBODY understood the question. (I regret abbreviating the question in the title.) Last night, I wrote a lengthy post breaking down each and every line and word to explain the meaning of my question, but it did not show up. I don't know if there is a limit on the length of comments, or if I hit the wrong button, or what. I don't care to rewrite it, so let me just point out that words & phrases have meaning. "The skill of" is KEY. "Relatively" is vital to the question. The fact that I understand that " the OUTCOME of the break is important" was totally ignored. "Overrated" does not imply it is of NO consequence."

If y'all re-read my question with the above in mind, it may help you to understand my question. If not, oh well.

Edit:
To further clarify, "outcome of the break" refers to the resulting layout immediately after the break.
I don't post on here much like 137 in the last 10 years but I do post on other forums usually firearms. I often copy my post so I don't have to write it again. Sometimes you just get signed off or for some reason it doesn't show up.

Mr. Dogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't post on here much like 137 in the last 10 years but I do post on other forums usually firearms. I often copy my post so I don't have to write it again. Sometimes you just get signed off or for some reason it doesn't show up.
Thanks. I copy mine a lot of times, but that time I just didn't. It was long, and I felt that if I had to repost it, I might have to reformat it upon pasting, and even that seemed too much trouble to bother with.

Question:
Is the reformatting of pasted text an issue on this forum? (On some forums it is; on others it's not.)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The break back in the action days was considered to be worth the wild 8.
...but many knew the value of the break was mutable.
...sometimes it was because of skill, or lack of, sometimes it was table conditions.

I have given the break many times where in actuality, they were spotting me by taking it.

So in response to the thread title, I feel, yes, the break is often over-rated.

Last edited:

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
Even Shane breaks dry or scratches once in a while, or ends up with no shot.

Yeah but it's rare this happens.

So rare in fact that commentators and spectators are surprised when it does happen.

He's spent hours and hours perfecting a break that works for him, at multiple game types.

So now I have to ask, do you think Shane thinks the break shot is overrated??;)

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
...sometimes it was because of skill, or lack of, sometimes it was table conditions.

I have given the break many times where in actuality, they were spotting me by taking it.

In response to your response, you recognize the value of the break so well, that you realize that sometimes due to table conditions and someone's playing level, YOU are getting the advantage by giving someone else the breaks.

Pretty valuable information right there.

I'd rate that pretty high:)

longhorns2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the lower the skill level, the less important the break. there will be several innings and in the end, the break will have mattered very little.

for professionals though, it's hugely important.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
the lower the skill level, the less important the break. there will be several innings and in the end, the break will have mattered very little.

for professionals though, it's hugely important.

^^ This. I'll agree with this explanation.

middleofnowhere

Registered
In response to your response, you recognize the value of the break so well, that you realize that sometimes due to table conditions and someone's playing level, YOU are getting the advantage by giving someone else the breaks.

Pretty valuable information right there.

I'd rate that pretty high:)

I think he may post on here if he does I hope he chimes in. Some years ago I was at a tournament and Pat Fleming (The accu-stats guy) was playing. He had been doing some stats and came to the conclusion on a certain table the break was a disadvantage.

He was playing Nick Varner on the table a chose to give up the break every time he won a game. The first time it happened Nick said,"What is this you want me to break?

As it turned out the match went like hill hill with Nick winning. What kept Pat in the game were Nicks break results. If you know Pat of Nick ask them about this match. Everybody thought Pat was nuts but the stats proved to be true.

middleofnowhere

Registered

A lot of lesser players are used to hearing around the pool room people wanting the break. So when making a game they ask for it not realizing it may be worth nothing to them. Although, just taking it away from the other player may have some value. The thing about spots is, the player getting the spot if he is a weak player, is still a weak player. The spot does not make him any smarter or better a player although the spot may allow him to win if big enough.

There is another factor as well.. Players who are not used to giving up big spots may dog it due to the pressure of the spot regardless at no time can a spot make the lesser an equal player. He will just win more games then he would have playing even and maybe even enough to win in the end. On the other hand, a weak player against a strong player with a spot often loses even if on paper they should win. They can often be depended on to play under what is their normal level.. Weak players have a lot of dog in them and no spot can change that.

Last edited: