Table felt color

frige

Registered
As I am assembling my antique brunswick madison I am getting to the choice of felt. I have found the Championship Mercury Ultra and that looks like a good choice. But what color? I know green is traditional but what preference do y'all have? I will have to live with it for a long while.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Green is great. A light (pale) blue too.

Tan is meh...as is grey.

Any red is a mistake.

Any other options not addressed above are off the table.

P.S.- not felt, cloth!

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I had classic green with all previous tables except one tan. The tan was hard to keep clean and I had to force people to use my tan chalk. The green is a great choice if it fits your room. I went Tournament Blue Simonis with my latest to suit the room better and really like it.

I still have that tool for you if you want it, no charge. Edit: I see your message now, thanks.

33999c70746f06a8661eb6cb2409ba5a.jpg

Sent from the future.
04c82da1312d32fa7c871b1d82b485f0.jpg

Last edited:

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my antique brunswick madison

Go with red if it is located in a brothel or you live in the middle east.

Tournament blue if you want to practice on what most tournaments play on.

The Brunswick madison does represent a very traditional design/look. Hard to beat traditional green to stay consistent with the look of the table.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
As I am assembling my antique brunswick madison I am getting to the choice of felt. I have found the Championship Mercury Ultra and that looks like a good choice. But what color? I know green is traditional but what preference do y'all have? I will have to live with it for a long while.

I am guessing that you are selecting Mercury Utra for the attractive price. However, there are disadvantages. I generally suggest that Mercury Ultra has a nice speed for 8' tables and smaller. However, for 9' tables, I always suggest a worsted cloth. Also, Mercury Ultra, being a woolen cloth, will tend to pill (shed fuzz balls). Worsted cloth will not pill.

There are many worsted cloth offerings. Some, are not much more expensive than Mercury Ultra. ProLine ProForm505 is an economical offering which offers a wide variety of colors. It installs quite similarly to Simonis 860HR (in terms of stretch index), and it has very decent durability (much better than any woolen cloth offering).

In regards to color: the most common color that I install is Tournament Blue.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Looking back at the pictures of your table, that room calls for green cloth.

Sent from the future.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I think the Tournament Blue is the best for aiding in seeing the edges of the balls, but if it were up to me, I'd go with a traditional green to preserve the "antique" quality of your table.

Stay way, way, way away from red, black, or purple.

JMHO

Maniac

BadEnglish

Registered
My table isn't as fancy as some here, but I recently had it re-felted with platinum colored cloth and I really like it.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer Snooker tournament green.

However, depends on location of the room. If it came down to a particular shade of blue or green...and the room was in a more open part of the house...I’d let my wife choose.;).

She wouldn’t know there are other colours to choose from and wouldn’t let her know as might end up with ‘ecru’ or ‘buttercup cream’.

Anyways, main thing is more the negative. What ‘not’ to use for poor visibility, chalk dust, etc.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How old are you and how are your eyes? Twelve years ago I had a home grade table, Eight foot with standard green cloth. It had good lighting, still I was losing the edge of the six ball at the far end. When I got my Gold Crown I went with the 860 in tournament blue for this reason. As a geezer I would never again have that old style darker green. YMMV but it's something to consider.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Use science? In respect to research, statistically green will be best but if you want to amp it up use orange or a combination of both. Blue and Red are bad. Blue will get in the way of physical performance and red will excite you. Results of course vary with each individual.

If you just want it to match your room, then use the Feng shui that fits.

Last edited:

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are many shades of green available and of blue. The most popular blue is the Tournament blue. The most common green has different names by different companies but if you took a black and white photo of the popular green and the Tournament blue, you would see that they are the exact same shade, meaning they reflect light equally.

From there it's just a matter of preference. I have the Simonis 860 in tournament blue because I got tired of cleaning the blue chalk on the green cloth I had that came with my table.

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The light blue or green are the only colors you should look at.

Tan is acceptable, but who wants a tan table?

Red is awful visually; something about red plays havoc with your ability to see the OBs clearly.

The human eye sees green the best, but I think most home rooms don't have good enough lighting, and traditional pool table green doesn't provide the same contrast that tournament blue does in lesser lumens.

Whatever you do DO NOT GET YOUR RAILS IN BLACK. Stupidest idea ever.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Tournament Blue

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the Simonis 860 in tournament blue because I got tired of cleaning the blue chalk on the green cloth I had that came with my table.

So, the implication is....if you don’t see it, it doesn’t exist and can be ignored? Maybe then everyone with green cloth should just buy green chalk and forget about cleaning the table?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are going with Championship Mercury Ultra, from the Championship color chart I would choose either Championship Green (their version of Simonis Green), Brite Blue (their version of Simonis Tournament Blue) or Camel, which is virtually identical color to Simonis camel. Either of those three are excellent choices to play on - the balls will show up very well.

Just remember that you can use blue Master chalk on either the green or blue colors, but you must use camel or gold colored chalk if you go with the camel color. Blue chalk marks will NOT easily come out of the camel colored cloth.