Opinions GCore/I2/I3/IPro std

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
I am stepping back into the game after a 15 year break. Played a 1988 WC2 McDermott wildlife series cue back then which I think probably had a standard maple shaft. I did like it and have no comparison experience with all the new shafts available.

I've ordered a McD G1402 with a standard iPro shaft. Since it will take a couple months to get the cue, wanted your opinion on iPro's (hit and play-ability) since now would be the time to add another shaft to the order.

Realize that it's mostly player preference, skill level and etc. but thought it worth asking the brain trust here if there would be a logical reason to back-up the iPro std shaft with an I2, I3 or even a GCore shaft as well to judge if it feels better as the player shaft.

Wish I had time to "hit 'em all" but that's unlikely.

Appreciate any thoughts/experiences. As I play more and get a game back may consider more exotic options but at this point just want to take advantage of making a choice while it's all in McD's hands.

Thank you.

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I CANT STAND THE NOISE THEY MAKE

get a good solid old growth maple shaft, 4oz or better

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Thanks for the input L I F D 1. I guess I'll get to hear what you're talking about soon enough. I'm not big on the "latest and greatest" in most cases cause if I was, I'd own a lot of worthless hype. It does seem the carbon fiber shafts are popular among cue makers but most are different in config.

So while straight maple shaft is your suggestion - are you saying none of the shafts I mentioned offer an advantage to the player? Or they all sound similar to the iPro?

What sound is that BTW? :smile:

Thanks.

Last edited:

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the G core, really like the I2, it does have a different sounding hit...but you can't go wrong with the standard maple shaft either. Have not tried the iPro...but the design doesn't seem too different than the I2/I3 just an extra hundo with a navigator tip. I will try one when I find a decent used one on ebay some day. Good luck on whatever you purchase...only a billion options out there.

Last edited:

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have played with a McDermott RS-1 for 25+ years. Somewhere in there I started playing with a 314-2 shaft. Some years back I bought G-226, with a G-Core shaft. Even compared to the 314-2, the G-Core shaft has a dull, terrible sounding, hit. It sounds like the ferrule is broken. It has much more deflection than the 314-2. I’m not familiar with the I2 or the I3, but I’m not a fan of the G-Core shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

brilliance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

I did not like iPro taper, othervise it hits really good.

I also agree that good old growth maple plays best.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am stepping back into the game after a 15 year break. Played a 1988 WC2 McDermott wildlife series cue back then which I think probably had a standard maple shaft. I did like it and have no comparison experience with all the new shafts available.

I've ordered a McD G1402 with a standard iPro shaft. Since it will take a couple months to get the cue, wanted your opinion on iPro's (hit and play-ability) since now would be the time to add another shaft to the order.

Realize that it's mostly player preference, skill level and etc. but thought it worth asking the brain trust here if there would be a logical reason to back-up the iPro std shaft with an I2, I3 or even a GCore shaft as well to judge if it feels better as the player shaft.

Wish I had time to "hit 'em all" but that's unlikely.

Appreciate any thoughts/experiences. As I play more and get a game back may consider more exotic options but at this point just want to take advantage of making a choice while it's all in McD's hands.

Thank you.

Going to a LD shaft you will have to learn to aim differently, you don't need to add any shaft now to the order, there are several dozen shafts that will fit the cue, not just McDermott shafts. It's a standard 3/8 x 10 pin and it's common enough to find shafts all over the place for that. What I do is talk to players at pool halls, more often than not they will be happy to show off their shafts and let you try them out to see how you like them. Once you do that, you can decide what you like. Also keep in mind that there are also dozens of different tip combinations you can use with those shafts and that makes a big difference also in the hit feel. I have not really liked any of the McDermott shafts, tried them all, the hit feel is a bit like many Predator shafts, a bit dull and dead.

There are lots of valid reasons to have several shafts, even different models, to try them out and see what you like. Also as spares if you compete in tournaments, to try out different tips at the same time, you want to bulk up and carry more weight in the pool case. Lots of reasons.

There is no answer when it comes to shafts, it's like asking someone to pick a car color or your favorite food for you. There is also no "best hit" or "best playing" or "best performing" shaft since it's all personal and has to match your playing style, stoke and aim. Even among the pros, someone with a poke hit like Hopkins would most likely want a different type of shaft than and Archer or Strickland.

You also may want to list your area, I'm sure the forum members near you would not mind meeting up and sharing thoughts and having you try out some shafts in person.

Last edited:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well the only thing you need to consider is the tip and shaft diameter if they are the only shafts you are interested in.

Or how much money you want to spend.

I will not recommend the G-core shaft. The G-core shafts I have used seem to get dirty quick.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Thanks all for the input to a newbie here. I am looking forward to hitting the iPro when it comes and went 12.75. Be interesting, hope I don't hate it, but will back that up with a maple shaft while McD has the cue so I have an immediate comparison.

Only two cues I've owned or spent any time over are the aforementioned WC-2 (which I should have never traded off) and a Weir sneaky pete I still have. The wife bought me that almost 40 years ago when we were kids. So, darned used to old school maple shafts that lack "technology".

Travel a lot with work so looking forward traveling with a cue in tow again but hate the fact the old style halls are few and far between these days. I'm not much for 6 and 7 foot coin-op tables. :mad: Thankful for the local hall here which still has 2 9 footers but they used to have 6, a couple 8 footers and the rest were bar boxes.

Be well...have been enjoying the threads. Typical smartarsery and humor at it's finest with some great advice sprinkled in. :thumbup:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you should play with a standard maple shaft.

Its the not the arrow its the Indian.

Practice.

Ken

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
I think you should play with a standard maple shaft.

Its the not the arrow its the Indian.

Practice.

Ken

Ken - agreed on Indians and arrows and at the same time have learned that some weapons fit ya inherently better than others. I shoot a lot of birds with a Browning O/U and in fact, it fits me so well that I use no others. Own no others despite going through quite a few over the years. And that's been a primary sport for a long time, a serious hobby.

I shoot a single stack 1911 much better than double stack. Same deal, fit and feel.

So I'm viewing a player shaft about the same. And it may well be the standard maple shaft is it. I'll know after hitting both a while. :wink: