Color commentator for Mosconi Cup

bb9ball

Registered
Who would you like to replace Karl since Matchroom decided to keep have some of our favorite commentators preoccupied with other tasks this year?

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to see either a black guy or a Efren.

The Chinese have the best players in the world but I think language barrier will be a problem.

Since it’s an international tournament and all.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to see either a black guy or a Efren.

The Chinese have the best players in the world but I think language barrier will be a problem.

Since it’s an international tournament and all.

Have you ever heard Efren do commentary in English?

Why would you put a Filipino or Chinese person as a commentator for a tournament that they were not even a participant of?

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay Helfert, Jerry Forsyth, John Schmidt, Earl Strickland, Alex Lely, Jimmy Wych (sp) from Canada, Darren Appleton (sp), and Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to see Earl and Jay Helfert in the booth. Would be a great pair imo.

I remember Jay commentating Earl’s match at the World Pool Championship in Cardiff (1999 or thereabouts) and calling Earl an embarrassment to America and a disgrace to pool for his poor sportsmanship in that match. All of that was broadcast on BBC and Earl got quite upset about it. I don’t remember who was Earl’s opponent in that match. I hope Jay and Earl have since reconciled or else it could be a great opportunity for them to do so!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you ever heard Efren do commentary in English?

Why would you put a Filipino or Chinese person as a commentator for a tournament that they were not even a participant of?

Accu-Stats have a DVD of the Medina-Varner match from Sands (1998?), with Efren and Jerry McWorter doing the commentary. Efren’s accent is pretty much incomprehensible to me. His command of English and pronunciation may have improved since then but somehow I doubt that.

Last edited:

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay Helfert, Jerry Forsyth, John Schmidt, Earl Strickland, Alex Lely, Jimmy Wych (sp) from Canada, Darren Appleton (sp), and Ronnie O'Sullivan.

I second Darren Appleton! He’s amazing. It may take you guys a little while to tune in to his Scottish accent but that’s an easy hurdle to overcome, imho.

Imran Majid is also a very good commentator.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Pretty darn good list if you ask me. I would think any of these would be excellent!!

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like Karl's commentary.
Are you saying replacement is needed
because he is unable or replace him
for a better option?

bb9ball

Registered
I like Karl's commentary.
Are you saying replacement is needed
because he is unable or replace him
for a better option?

Alex Lely and Jeremy Jones are captains. Karl Boyes is a vice captain. They are my 3 favorite commentators. Karl might do some. I think Jeremy may have commented a match last year or the year before, but he didn't do many if he did.

bb9ball

Registered

Alex is captaining so I don't expect to hear him in the booth during a match.

Does anyone have a link to a match that John Schmidt commentated? I don't remember hearing him before.

I watched the match Earl recently commentated on before it was taken down. I was impressed. Do you think Matchroom would take him across the pond for this event?

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I second Darren Appleton! He’s amazing. It may take you guys a little while to tune in to his Scottish accent but that’s an easy hurdle to overcome, imho.

Imran Majid is also a very good commentator.

Darren Appleton isn't Scottish, are you thinking of Jayson Shaw?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Darren Appleton isn't Scottish, are you thinking of Jayson Shaw?

yorkshire accent. it can be harder to understand than scottish actually. but i like it, they tend to speak a little slower than southern brits. and darren is great at analyzing patterns. one of the best pattern players ever imo

i wouldn't mind josh roberts, chris melling or mark wilson, they are great commentators. nick varner is probably my favourite, but i don't know if he still does much commentary. varner and melling commentated WPS 8-ball, if you haven't seen those videos, it's a must. extremely educational

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Alex is captaining so I don't expect to hear him in the booth during a match.

Does anyone have a link to a match that John Schmidt commentated? I don't remember hearing him before.

I watched the match Earl recently commentated on before it was taken down. I was impressed. Do you think Matchroom would take him across the pond for this event?
I watched that same match I think. I was impressed with Earl's commentating too. Earl was able to call what the correct shot needed to be and what english and stroke was needed on virtually every single shot. He reminded me of the Double J type of detail and insight into the game.