Earl's 11 consecutive racks for 1M

jjinfla

Banned
When Earl Strickland ran those 11 racks for the one million who racked the balls? And were they racked in a particular order? Jake

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
I believe that when they started, they were racking their own balls (Earl was playing Nick Mannino). I believe that after a while they had a tournament official start racking when Earl had strung 6 or 7 racks together, and they also started videotaping. I don't believe the balls were racked in any particular order for any special reason.

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I remember correctly, Earl racked 7 or 8 racks before they said someone else had to begin racking them. I got that from the grapevine too.

N

Nineball Tim

I heard about this briefly but don't know much about it. Earl really got a million for running 11 in a row? Can you imagine the pressure on the 10th and 11th racks! When did this happen and who put up the cash? Thanks

homeless

Registered
If i remember right it was in late 1996 or 1997, I have such a bad memory, I was having dinner with Danny Harrimen at magoo's in tulsa and when we were done he left for Dallas and the tourney..It was at CJ Wileys place and played on Million Dollar Cloth, the insurance company re-niged on part of the money or all of it(bad memory) and CJ and the promoter ended up getting Earl paid. The most awesome shot was the last game when Earl let fly a long 1-9 cut into the corner pocket..it is on video somewhere, because ESPN was there shooting the tourney, and not more than 2 weeks ago I was talking to a pool hall owner from minnesota at a tourney and he was describing the last shot..and how you had to have errrrrr..BALLS! to take the shot.:D
Anyways thats my 2 cents worth,i am sure there are a few that have better memory of it than I..

Joseph Cues

Cue Nut
Silver Member
I believe Earl was racking them first then Jay Halfert took over. There is no video. I talked to Jay one time and he said he racked some of the racks. Earl really did not run all those racks. He made a 9 or two on the break and the last one was a 1-9 combo.
He was never paid for the whole amount. CJ Wiley paid his first intallment. This was CJ's tournament during his Pro Cueist Association days. CJ sued for the million dollars but had to settle.
Earl did not get a million dollars.
Interestingly enough. Jay said Efren running 9 racks against Bustamante (8 off the break) was the best 9-ball performance he ever saw.

jjinfla

Banned
I have heard so many versions of this story that it is becoming an urban legend. How was the proposition made? Was it something to the effect that anyone who runs 11 consecutive racks during CJ's tournament would win a million dollars? I would think that the promoter would have set some strict guidelines. Jake

Joseph Cues

Cue Nut
Silver Member
jjinfla said:
I have heard so many versions of this story that it is becoming an urban legend. How was the proposition made? Was it something to the effect that anyone who runs 11 consecutive racks during CJ's tournament would win a million dollars? I would think that the promoter would have set some strict guidelines. Jake
That's why the insurance company balked at paying that million dollars.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
I believe that the insurance company got out reference the language that was in the contract. Earl did not "run" 11 racks, he "won 11 games in a row". As was stated earlier, he had a few short games, and snapped in the 9 a few times. I believe that the insurance company held the PCA to the original contract which stated that the player must "runout 10 times". There were about 50 - 60 people watching and 50-60 different versions as to what happened. Many, like myself, put our current matches on hold to go watch. I only got to see the match from game 8 or 9. The 1-9 combination in the final game was awesome. I didn't see games 1-7, so I cannot comment on them, nor can many other people, as a crowd didn't start forming until after the first 5-6 games, but you'd be surprised how many hundreds of people swear to God that they watched the whole thing, many of which were never in the room at the time.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Weren't all those people also there when Mosconi ran 526? And they watched the whole thing.

Mike

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,
It was loyds of London insurance company that finally ( after legal sparring )paid Earl.Cheers
Vagabond

Chucklez65

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
at least he finally got paid....thats more than a lot of pool players can say...Im sure a lot of us out there have "Accounts Receivable" that are more than 90 days in arears...heh heh

Chuck

Joseph Cues

Cue Nut
Silver Member
AzHousePro said:
Weren't all those people also there when Mosconi ran 526? And they watched the whole thing.

Mike
They were all at Hard Times too when Efren rack 5 racks of 15 ball rotation.
I believe Elvis was in the house as well.:D

K

Kerry

I realize this is the continuation of a joke, but *DID* Efren run 5 racks of rotation? That is just mindboggling, like if this thread started by talking about how Earl ran 25 racks of 9 ball or something. If anyone knows the story, I'd like to hear it.

Kerry

K

Ken in CT

"racks" of rotation?

Perhaps I am confused here but since the game of rotation is won not by making all the balls or the 15 ball but merely by reaching a count of 61 it is impossible to "run a rack" of rotation. Since one must make at least one ball on the break in order to continue shooting it is possible to win the game by making only an additional 4 high-numbered balls on combination shots.

Running the right 4 balls is hardly a great feat but more like a lucky one. Admittedly, the presence of all the balls on the table makes position play more difficult but it also offers more possibility for pocketing a ball on a combination and winning the game by making less than nine balls. One might argue that the game is easier than nine ball.

Ken in CT

Joseph Cues

Cue Nut
Silver Member
Re: "racks" of rotation?

Ken in CT said:
Perhaps I am confused here but since the game of rotation is won not by making all the balls or the 15 ball but merely by reaching a count of 61 it is impossible to "run a rack" of rotation. Since one must make at least one ball on the break in order to continue shooting it is possible to win the game by making only an additional 4 high-numbered balls on combination shots.

Running the right 4 balls is hardly a great feat but more like a lucky one. Admittedly, the presence of all the balls on the table makes position play more difficult but it also offers more possibility for pocketing a ball on a combination and winning the game by making less than nine balls. One might argue that the game is easier than nine ball.

Ken in CT
Ken, tell that to Efren.:D
He was practicing and the great player he is, he plays to finish the whole rack.