Help With Hubbart LH-5 Value

cuesterpat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello. I was wondering if I could get some help on the value of the Larry Hubbart LH-5 in the pictures that I may be interested in buying. The cue needs a refinish and the outside ring on the shaft collar will need to be replaced. The seller says the cue is straight. I figure I am looking at around $150.00 for the refinish and collar repair. Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• LH5_Butt.jpg
    LH5_Butt.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 410
  • LH5_Forearm.jpg
    LH5_Forearm.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 429
  • LH5_Joint.jpg
    LH5_Joint.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 436
  • LH5_ShaftCollar.jpg
    LH5_ShaftCollar.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 405

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Well, if it helps, Larry Hubbart himself used this model in the mid 80s. I remember him playing Wade Crane at the US Open in Norfolk, 1984. Larry came back from a deficit, and beat Wade Crane. Not too many others beat Wade in those days.

As for value, as my good friend Doc says, it's hard, because someone always feels like they got their dick stepped on. And I agree with that. Sounds like it's going to take a bit of work to fix it up, and it may be worth a few hundred bucks. The more you fix it up, the more it may reach.

Here it is, in the brochure. And, one of your buttsleeve pictures is wrong.

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• Meucci Hubbart.jpg
    Meucci Hubbart.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool cue. Worth fixing up for a Meucci fan.

From the looks of it, if it is straight and sound, it could be made to look new again. That joint collar crack is classic for Meucci cues. Looks like exposed wrap, which was an option.

I would fix the joint ring and stop there, I like original. But do as you like. :smile:

...I have to ask...what the heck is up with that bumper? LOL!

If that thing needs a pill bumper, good luck finding one. :wink:

Not everybody is concerned to have a correct bumper and some barely seem to notice...for some reason I always notice right away.

Those old Meucci cues will always have a following. They won a lot of tournaments. I thought I was a big shot with my Joss back in the day but the guy who taught be beat the daylights out of me with a Meucci.

Value? I dunno...a few hundred. Worth more than this one if fixed up I think: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Meucci-Ori...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

And more than this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/meucci-ori...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

If I wer buying it, I wouldn't pay much.

If I fixed it up to sell I would want 400 bucks for it. Right around what a nice old Road Agent or Gambler sells for.

Incidentally, to me the attractiveness of the cue isn't that snazzy butt sleeve...it's the forearm...the points, veneers, and forearm wood...that looks real nice. The butt sleeve and rings make it look like a handsome woman with too much make-up...a hooker. But that's classic Meucci for ya. :wink:

And somebody inevitably will feel like they got their dick stepped on. :wink:

cuesterpat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hubbart LH-5

Thanks for the input gentlemen. The person is asking $500.00 Paypal to a friend, which I thought was high based on the condition.

cuesterpat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hubbart LH-5

I might have you confused with someone else. You may have bought my buddy's old Adam tube case. I know you bought something from me a few years back.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Been looking for an LH-5 for a good many years. Always end up a day late to the party.

Josh

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I might have you confused with someone else. You may have bought my buddy's old Adam tube case. I know you bought something from me a few years back.

Adam tube case? That sounds like me. :)

I have all my cases except one, I only got rid of one, a tooled Engles that was part of a trade deal for a Palmer. So if I bought it, I still have it.

EDIT: I just remembered I also traded a Castillo 2x4 case away. So that makes two I have ever gotten rid of...neither of which was an Adam case.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Thanks for the input gentlemen. The person is asking $500.00 Paypal to a friend, which I thought was high based on the condition.

It may be high but more important is NEVER send PayPal family & friends if you dont personally know the seller.

The Verbalist

. . .
Silver Member
It may be high but more important is NEVER send PayPal family & friends if you dont personally know the seller.

Agreed. Pat, no F/F though Paypal. Big no no, unless you absolutely know the person or have done deals with them before. You lose any payment protections in the deal through paypal. So you are basically sending them the money and hoping that they actually send your item(s), because if they don't, Paypal will just laugh at you if you ask for their help. The fee is 3%, not sure why people try to say it is 4% but anyway, it would be $15 on a $500 deal. $15 for piece of mind. And I hate that sellers don't add that into their price, 99% of people are paying through paypal, just figure that into whatever price you need to get. I hate it. Sorry for my rant

Last edited:

robertno1pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue repair question

Cost would depend on who does the work. Send photos and ask for a quote.

I would expect if you refinish, then you would also replace the irish linen wrap.

Initially, my impulse is that your cost could easily be $250.00 USD.

however, if you can find someone to do the work at a high level of quality, best of luck.

Some may value the work by original cue artist to be more valuable than using someone else.