Carbon fiber cues

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of talk and interest for carbon fiber shafts. What do people think about carbon fiber cues? Functional advantages or disadvantages? Or none really...just perhaps not as sharp looking as wood cue?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of talk and interest for carbon fiber shafts. What do people think about carbon fiber cues? Functional advantages or disadvantages? Or none really...just perhaps not as sharp looking as wood cue?

I'd say they are likely coming.

And they can be painted, too. Could look like anything you want it to.

I am going to get one that looks like circle.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
I noticed a more durable surface!
Much smoother and staying clean longer!

More consistent from shaft to shaft!

I will say that they are not all equal! Some are much better than the others! So, choose wisely!

Kd

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

longhorns2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

They tend to be extremely low deflection but hypothetically could be made with more. One definite advantage is they're more resistant to dings and breaks and I'm guessing warpage as well. The new cuetec has a taper that stays the same width for a long distance and I'm not sure if that's only possible because of cf

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With a carbon butt and shaft, you could leave your cue in the trunk of your car year round.

The accidental dings that seem to happen even if you’re careful will be no more.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CF cues offer weight consistency in both the cue butt and shaftl ergo, more predictabile performance.
The aforementioned does not imply superior play or even a preference of CF vs maple or LD shafts.

The choice of a pool cue is totally subjective & remember the game of pool is played between the ears.
People mistakenly think pool is played on the felt first but it's played in your head and then re-enacted.
That's why sometimes things don't always turn out as you intended and so as a player, you have to adjust.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CF cues offer weight consistency in both the cue butt and shaftl ergo, more predictabile performance.
The aforementioned does not imply superior play or even a preference of CF vs maple or LD shafts.

The choice of a pool cue is totally subjective & remember the game of pool is played between the ears.
People mistakenly think pool is played on the felt first but it's played in your head and then re-enacted.
That's why sometimes things don't always turn out as you intended and so as a player, you have to adjust.

It would definitely require some engineering, but a lot can be done with the density, fiber type, layup and orientation of the sheets.

But you are right, one size does not fit al.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
The only company I know of offering full carbon fiber cues at the moment is Becue. Not sure if the other companies are planning to do whole cues. Not sure if the butt really makes much of a difference. I hit some balls at sbe last year with a Becue and it felt really good, but this last Christmas I just got a Becue shaft alone for my current wood butt and it plays the same to me.

Mr Slate

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Silver Member
With a carbon butt and shaft, you could leave your cue in the trunk of your car year round.

The accidental dings that seem to happen even if you’re careful will be no more.

Wouldn't the daily heat cycle effect the bonding agent in the cue? The tip is also glued on,....wouldn't the adhesive give after the daily exposure to extreme heat?

newcuer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I kind of ruled the Becue out because I think they use their own proprietary joint with their cue (even though, they do sell their shafts independently with common joints). If they used a common joint, I might be interested as I would like the option of putting other cf shafts on it.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I think you've seen a lot of people adopt CF shafts due to real or perceived increases in performance by one measure or the other. I think the butt of cues is a lot more about feel and aesthetics for a lot of people. Personally I see myself possibly using a CF shaft in the future, but the designs, inlays, and wood work of a butt will continue to be my preference over other materials.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My buddy has a revo with a small chip out of it and the cuetecs mark up if you stick handle the cueball alot.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Starkey

I have made 2 all carbon fiber cues, experiments, there are around 12 oz and I use them for jumping where shaft jump cues not allowed, also the lite weight makes great for breaking.