Your thoughts possible 14.1 Tourney

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
Hey folks, I am thinking of running a pro 14.1 tournament along side my league nationals in May '08. I have put my thoughts together below that I would be putting on my website and flyers. Input appreciated, also any players here that would definately play in qualifiers? Any room owners interested in hosting a satellite qualifier?

There are no sponsors or added money.

thanks
Kev
------------------------------
14and1.com Pro Series 14.1 National Championship

14and1.com introduces the first annual 14and1.com
Pro Series 14.1 National Championship to be held on
May ??, 2008 (one day event) in Atlantic City, NJ at
the Atlantic City
Billiard Club and played on 10 Gold Crowns. Visit
www.acbilliards.com for address and other information.

The 14and1.com Pro Series is a professional event and
a seperate event from our handicapped leagues.

Pro Series main event will be double elimination format
race to 125 and one race to 150 in the finals. Featuring a
16 player field established through 16 qualifying events.

Players must qualify by winning one of 16 satellite qualifier
tournaments. These qualifying events are also double
elimination race to 125 and single race to 150 in the finals.
Each winning player earns a spot in the Pro Series 14.1
National Championship and a minimum $500 payday
($$$ based on full fields in qualifier events).

14and1.com Pro Series Nationals estimated payouts.
($$$ based on full fields of 16 in all qualifier events)

1st Place = $4,200
2nd Place = $3,000
3rd Place = $2,200
4th Place = $1,600
5th and 6th Place = $1,300
7th and 8th Place = $1,000
9th -- 12th Place = $700
13th -- 16th Place = $500

Qualifier events are $110 entry fee pre-paid to 14and1.com.
Email me at kbvidal@net1plus.com to reserve a spot in any of the
qualifier events listed below. Your entry must be paid by
check or money order and mailed within 1 week after you reserve
your spot by email.

All qualifier events are limited to 16 players so do it now!
Entry fee includes table time that will be forwarded to the
qualifier host room.

The 16 Pro Series qualifier events and dates listed below.
A special thanks to all the rooms that are participating in the
first annual 14and1.com Pro Series 14.1 Nationals. Each
qualifier is a one day event.

Last edited:

TheWizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can I make a suggestion?

Instead of having a prize fund that is restricted to a certain amount of entreis required for each qualifier, why not have a completely open tournament, like the US Open, where everyone turns up, with their entry fee to play, but is possible, choose a room that has at least 16 tables, because I would imagine that if you're holding an open event, there's alot of guys that would happily travel to play in the event, especially if you can get sponsorship and have adde prize money :)

I would recommend say a $200, this way instead of there being alot of guys looking around for qualifiers, they can book their hotel, etc, pay their entrance fee, and play :)

Also you could have it that ALL entry fees be paid advance, and set up a paypal account for people to be able to pay online if they wish too :)

These are just some suggestion, as a means of being able to offer up that little bit more prize money and for a bigger event :)

I know one thing, if you're holding it in may, I'll definitely be happy to come over from Ireland to play in the tournament and perhaps the possibility of bringing a few other guys along, if they're up for it :)

Either way it sunds good and I would be up for it :)

Willie

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
selftaut said:
Hey folks, I am thinking of running a pro 14.1 tournament ...
If you want to have a "National Championship" I think it would be better to make it a real national championship and not just another so-called national championship. That is, the winner should be recognized as the US Champion. It might also make it easier to get sponsors.

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
TheWizard said:
Can I make a suggestion?

Instead of having a prize fund that is restricted to a certain amount of entreis required for each qualifier, why not have a completely open tournament, like the US Open, where everyone turns up, with their entry fee to play, but is possible, choose a room that has at least 16 tables, because I would imagine that if you're holding an open event, there's alot of guys that would happily travel to play in the event, especially if you can get sponsorship and have adde prize money :)

I would recommend say a $200, this way instead of there being alot of guys looking around for qualifiers, they can book their hotel, etc, pay their entrance fee, and play :)

Also you could have it that ALL entry fees be paid advance, and set up a paypal account for people to be able to pay online if they wish too :)

These are just some suggestion, as a means of being able to offer up that little bit more prize money and for a bigger event :)

I know one thing, if you're holding it in may, I'll definitely be happy to come over from Ireland to play in the tournament and perhaps the possibility of bringing a few other guys along, if they're up for it :)

Either way it sunds good and I would be up for it :)

Willie

Thank you Willie for your input. Your suggestions are certainly a possibility and I will definately give them some thought. The room actually has 25 tables in it, but I was going to use 10 to hold this event. I do have a paypal setup so thats a possibility as well.

Kev

Last edited:

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
Bob Jewett said:
If you want to have a "National Championship" I think it would be better to make it a real national championship and not just another so-called national championship. That is, the winner should be recognized as the US Champion. It might also make it easier to get sponsors.

Bob, I do realize what you are saying. I would imagine that the 14.1 US Open in Nov. in Louisville might be the recognized national championship? Maybe a re-titling of the event might be in order.

A quote from Jimmy Caras has always stuck with me, "guys today don't understand, back in the day you had to win a qualifier to the final 16 to become a champion".

Kev

Last edited:

TheWizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Kev, many thanks for your reply buddy :)

If the room has got 25 tables, then why not find out about the possibility of using 20 tables in the tournament, that way, it will allow for alot more matches to be played simultaniously, thus helping the keep the tournament match action flowing, and so, as the tournament gets the the latter stages, you can us less tables and less, e.g. 16 tables, then 8 tables, 4, 2, and so on. :)

Again, I hope that this is of some help and I look forward to updates of this events as they progress :)

Willie

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
selftaut said:
... I would imagine that the 14.1 US Open in Nov. in Louisville might be the recognized national championship? ...
I think you have to ask either the BCA or the UPA whether there is a national championship. To the best of my knowledge, there has been no US men's National Championship in any form of pool for a long, long time, nor is any planned.