Shaping Samsara j/b tip HELP!

mhoskins87

Registered
I have a Samsara leather j/b tip on my break cue. The top couple layers delaminated and left a flat spot on top. There is enough of the tip left that I can just shape it down but I ruined my bowtie trying. What have you used to successfully shape tips in this hardness range? I prefer a nickel or larger radius on my break cue. Please help!

tank69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Samsara leather j/b tip on my break cue. The top couple layers delaminated and left a flat spot on top. There is enough of the tip left that I can just shape it down but I ruined my bowtie trying. What have you used to successfully shape tips in this hardness range? I prefer a nickel or larger radius on my break cue. Please help!

I never tried shaping it without a lathe, maybe a file? that's drastic and lots of room for disaster, but if it's your only option, take your time. Have you tried using a flatter profile for that tip? These tips seem to work better when they are flatter. A friend had the same thing happen to his and he used it after some minor shaping, still leaving it fairly flat, and he hasn't went back. Try it, you may like it and save yourself some time!

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The sandpaper shapers will work if you find one with your desired profile. I believe a 1-1/4 PVC pipe's inner radius is pretty close, cut a 6" piece in half lengthwise and glue some 220 to it. File back and forth while rotating the cue and it'll work- I shaped a G10 jump tip last night like this.

Dirtbmw20

Lee Casto
Silver Member
I shaped a G10 jump tip last night like this.

:sorry: Uh oh........ I must not have shaped the tip right when I put it on, or at least not to your liking,lol. Out of habit, I always shape all my tips to a dime radius. Sorry Dallas..... I should've asked you what you wanted before doing it.:embarrassed2:

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No problem Lee... You got a shaft with no old tip for comparison, so of course you had to guess!

Took about 2 minutes to shape by hand (if that)... my end of the work was the easy part I'd say!