What cues did the HOF'ers use?

steveinflorida

Silver Member
In the later 90's, Mizerak used a Dennis Searing cue. He also (beside Balabushka) used Richard Black cues prior to that.

Ray Martin used Gus Szamboti cues. I believe he won his first world title with a Balabushka and the next 2 with his Szamboti. He his now using a
60" Philippine cue.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
UPDATED

There have been many threads with the cues players use today. What about the older greats? What cue did they use? I read about these old greats and rarely does it mention the cue that they played/are playing with. I really would like to know. I assume they all didn’t use a Brunswick cue even though they have produced some of the greatest cuemakers ever. Please help fill in the blanks. I will update as necessary. Thanks, Jay. PS…I’m sure I forgot some of the greats. If you know what cue they used please add their name to the list. Thanks.

Ralph Greenleaf - Brunswick, Ralph Greenleaf model

Willie Hoppe – I believe used a Herman Rambo as part of Rambo’s cues had what is known as the Hoppe ring.

Charlie Peterson - ?

Welker Cochran - ?

Alfred DeOro - Rambo?

Willie Mosconi – Used a Rambo to set his 526 ball record – Also used a Balabushka with a Burton Spain forearm

Jake Schaffer, Sr - Herman Rambo

Jake Schaffer, Jr - Rambo?

Harold Worst - ?

Frank Taberski - ?

Johnny Layton - ?

Jimmy Caras – I assumed he used a Brunswick since he worked for them. Exactly what kind??? He is also known to have use an Adams cue made by Richard Helmstetter.

Irving Crane - ?

Steve Mizerak - Balabushka, Tascarella, Later I think he played with a Richard Black.

Dorothy Wise - ?

Joe Balsis - Frank Paradise

Rudolph “Minnesota Fats” Wanderone - Rambo?

Jean Balukas - Balabushka and Richard Black?

Lou Butera - ?

Erwin Rudolph - ?

Andrew Ponzi - ?

Mike Sigel – World 14.1 championships 1979 – 1981, probably used a Joss. 1985 14.1 and his World 9 ball in 1985? (assume those were Meucci wins in ’85)

Nick Varner – What cue was he using in his 1980 World 14.1 championship? Probably a Joss. Was the same cue used in his 1986 World 14.1 Championship and great 1986 winning spree? I know he uses his own brand cue at present.

Ray Martin – Did he use the same cue for all his World 14.1 titles, ’71, ’74 and ’78?

Cecil P. “Buddy” Hall – How many different cues did he use to win?

Mike Massey - McDermott and Meucci

Alan Hopkins - Frank Coster and Lambros

Nick used a Joss by Danny Janes up to about 96 and changed to a Meucci under contract until the fall of 99 when he chjanged to a McDaniel and proceeded to win a World open 9 ball, a Mizerack senior tour tournament, a world championship one-pocket and a Derby City one-pocket championship after which he went under contract to Falcon Cues.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Balsis - Won a lot with Paradise and Bushka
Caras - Rambo early, many others during career
Hopkins - Bushka, Boti, Coster during his heyday
Miz- Bushka, Boti, Black before Florida
Murphey - Bushka
Crane - Rambo and Bushka
Taylor - Paradise early.. many others

Many pros had many cues given to them, or they tried different cues through out their careers. We have had Palmers that were Balsis, a Gina cue for Lassiter and one for Minnesota Fats...

JV

Wags

2 pocket-one pocket table
Silver Member
Beautiful

Mr. Topcat,

Thanks for the Coster info. Those sure are some pretty cues. I'd be happy to own either one. :smile:

Frank Coster built cues for about ten years, out of the Allentown, PA area. His life ended prematurely in the early 90's. Tremendous craftsman. You can view two of his cues that had belonged to a friend of mine, Randy Fry, at http://www.proficientbilliards.com/cues/frankcoster/frankcoster.htm. They were sold overseas for a small fortune.

Wags

Silver Member
Thanks

Dear Steve,

The Miz seems to have used a lot of different cues to win. Apparently he could make anything work, something about the man behind the equipment.

Thanks for your input.

Jay

In the later 90's, Mizerak used a Dennis Searing cue. He also (beside Balabushka) used Richard Black cues prior to that.

Ray Martin used Gus Szamboti cues. I believe he won his first world title with a Balabushka and the next 2 with his Szamboti. He his now using a
60" Philippine cue.

Wags

Silver Member
Thanks

Dear spktur,

Nick has always been one of my favorite all time players. The deep voice, slow drawl and seemingly, unflappable. I certainly had no idea about the McDaniel. I'll have to that one up to see what they are like.

I'm pretty positive that he used a Sigel-Varner cue during that short lived marriage. Nick's cues are much better than those ever were.

Thank you for your input,

Jay

Nick used a Joss by Danny Janes up to about 96 and changed to a Meucci under contract until the fall of 99 when he chjanged to a McDaniel and proceeded to win a World open 9 ball, a Mizerack senior tour tournament, a world championship one-pocket and a Derby City one-pocket championship after which he went under contract to Falcon Cues.

Last edited:

Wags

Silver Member
Thank you

Dear classic,

I am jealous. You get to be surrounded by all those works of art and history. In fact, I don't think I even like you. :rolleyes: (sarcasm)

Thank you for your input.

Jay

Murphey - Bushka
Crane - Rambo and Bushka

Many pros had many cues given to them, or they tried different cues through out their careers. We have had Palmers that were Balsis, a Gina cue for Lassiter and one for Minnesota Fats...

JV

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear spktur,

Nick has always been one of my favorite all time players. The deep voice, slow drawl and seemingly, unflappable. I certainly had no idea about the McDaniel. I'll have to that one up to see what they are like.

I'm pretty positive that he used a Sigel-Varner cue during that short lived marriage. Nick's cues are much better than those ever were.

Thank you for your input,

Jay

You may be right about the Sigel-Varner cue. I have been friends with Nick for close to 30 years and also am a close friend of Bill McDaniel for about the same time frame. When Nick had finished his time with Meucci he called and asked me to check with Bill about doing something with him on a cue.

largo

Registered
While I do not have access to that publication, thatnk you for the information. I guess Rambo's were used if you were from the right coast and Martins were used if you were from the left coast. Is that right?

Brunswick always had, until at least 1960, a staff position called "The Brunswick Cuemaster." So don't assume that all cues made with TITLEIST butts were made by Rambow. I don't know the identity of the people who occupied the position at Brunswick. I saw Mosconi play in the 1960s--pre Balabushka--with a fairly plain Titlist butt cue. There was a conspicuous absence of the characteristic Rambo script on the cue.

largo

Registered
Murphey - Bushka
Crane - Rambo and Bushka

JV
Lou Butera for sure used a cue made by his friend Bert Schrager.
U.J. Puckett used a TAD for his last 20+ years

Wags

Silver Member
Thank you

Dear largo,

You are just a font of information. :) I didn't think that Rambo made them all but I did think that he probably trained a lot of good cuemakers.

Thanks for having me include U.J. Sometimes I'm so stupid.

Thank you for your input.

Jay

Brunswick always had, until at least 1960, a staff position called "The Brunswick Cuemaster." So don't assume that all cues made with TITLEIST butts were made by Rambow. I don't know the identity of the people who occupied the position at Brunswick. I saw Mosconi play in the 1960s--pre Balabushka--with a fairly plain Titlist butt cue. There was a conspicuous absence of the characteristic Rambo script on the cue.

Lou Butera for sure used a cue made by his friend Bert Schrager.
U.J. Puckett used a TAD for his last 20+ years.

jjollie

I strained my eyes last night trying to figure out the cue Miz was using in the great match against CJ Wiley. Alas, my quality was too poor. I would imagine that dove bushka has a lot of stories to tell.

Thanks for your input.

Jay
That was a Richard Black...and a helluva match that was!!!

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
A Gina cue....

Made for Lassiter...

JV

Attachments

• 34_butt.JPG
    34_butt.JPG
    5 KB · Views: 763

sfmc-x1

I Sell Out.
Silver Member
UPDATED 3
There have been many threads with the cues players use today. What about the older greats? What cue did they use? I read about these old greats and rarely does it mention the cue that they played/are playing with

Nick Varner – contracted with Meucci from96 to 99.

Cecil P. “Buddy” Hall – How many different cues did he use to win?

I strained my eyes last night trying to figure out the cue Miz was using in the great match against CJ Wiley. Alas, my quality was too poor.

Buddy Hall played with Meucci's, Huebler's, and Bludworth's.
In that Miz vs. Wiley match Buddy makes reference to CJ playing with one of "his". The short black joint would suggest that was one of his Blud's at the time.

I had the rare opportunity to watch Varner close the doors at Executive Billiards in Redwood City CA around 96-97, Bob Jewitt had him playing the ghost either 14:1 or 15 ball rotation, he didn't stop till well after the sun came up. He was shooting with a Meucci 97-20 with a different(all white) joint collar.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Johnny Archer: Joss, Schon, Scorpion
Earl Strickland: Meucci, Cuetec, Guylassy
Mike Massey: Meucci, McDermott, Scruggs

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Mosconi also was well known for playing with a Balabushka. One of his Bushkas, with a Spain forearm, sold at auction not long ago for $80K:

http://www.huntauctions.com/live/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=32&lot_num=352&lot_qual=

True enough, but wasn't he done competing by then? I thought he played with a Rambow during most of his competitive career, but I could be wrong...He also had a beautiful Helmstetter for a few years, too, I think in the early-mid 70's?