Ae schmidt tables

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have searched and can find little info on these tables. If anyone has any opinions
I would like to know as I am looking at a pro 8 foot

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have searched and can find little info on these tables. If anyone has any opinions
I would like to know as I am looking at a pro 8 foot

I don't remember model numbers, but I grew up playing in a pool hall that had some 8-foot Schmidt commercial tables and 8-foot Brunswicks. I preferred the Schmidts.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Remember too, that this thread is 7 or 8 years old. Prices will not have gone up, and the available 'cheap' Chinese knockoffs will be even more plentiful. The key factor will be how long you want to hold out for a potentially higher price.

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

A quick search brought up this post. You might find it helpful.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=271036

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Remember too, that this thread is 7 or 8 years old. Prices will not have gone up, and the available 'cheap' Chinese knockoffs will be even more plentiful. The key factor will be how long you want to hold out for a potentially higher price.

Scott Lee

AES tables are the tables at Dave And Buster's the last time I was there.

I wouldn't touch a pool table today that does not read Brunswick or Diamond.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like it was posted today.
Unless we moved the clock 7-8 years today.

The first cue I ever had made was by A.E. Schmidt. It was made from a Titlist blank.

The guy who made it was named Lloyd Benson.

After he retired, he traveled all over the USA covering and repairing the tables for Dave and Busters.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joey...I was quoting the 7 year old thread that the poster linked to...not today's thread!

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=271036

Scott Lee

Looks like it was posted today.
Unless we moved the clock 7-8 years today.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A E Schmidt tables are built very solid, and play well for years. They are much better quality than Golden West tables (also a US manufacturer), and play better too!

Scott Lee

Thanks but not helpful. I know what they cost, would like to know
how they play and the quality

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AE Schmidt made tables before Brunswick. The factory was south of the Arch in St Louis. Very solid .Having said that i am saving so i can have Mark G do my rails on myGC 4 .

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

They play fine. Built sturdy and have a traditional look. I live in the Midwest and there are many of them in homes around here. Most have buckets for pockets but they are decent tables.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They play fine. Built sturdy and have a traditional look. I live in the Midwest and there are many of them in homes around here. Most have buckets for pockets but they are decent tables.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

I have played on them in the past and they were very solid tables. I think if you just want a home table for recreational use they would be fine. if you want a table to train on for very serious competition- probably a Diamond or maybe a GC and nothing else as someone else suggested. I once had an Olhausen home table from the late 1980s and it did not translate well when I competed on a Gold Crown from that era- the speed and the rails and the pocket openings were all so different from commercial GCs- it was always a big adjustment on game day for me. I finally switched to a GC.

Last edited:

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brings me back

Some of the happiest times of my life were spent playing on AE Schmidt tables.
I was about 15 or so years old when I sneaked in the Cotton Bowling Palace.
They had AE Schmidt 4x8's with over size slate and rails. They had these black
and white speckled aprons and red rubber pockets. I think they were that model
named Comet. I thought this has to be Heaven. It was like a cock fight or like the
action you see in the Philippines. The crowd was so large you had to get people
to move to shoot every shot. Billy Stroud was playing this guy, I think his name
was Joel Shotsman (Billy correct me if I'm wrong if you read this). People were
waving money in the air taking bets,and it took 20 minutes after each game to
get bets down before the next game could start. You had to be 18 to play so I
had to get someone to get the balls and hope they didn't see me. The tables
were a strange size and it took a out of town player a little while to adjust. I
became friends with Billy and Alf Taylor and they got the house man to look
the other way so I could play. The tables were really solid and seemed well
made. The Cotton Palace got busted for gambling and they had trustees from
the Dallas Jail haul the tables out and that was the last time I ever saw an
A E Schmidt.
jack

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

A.E. Schmidt's had the reputation as the best made "home style" table or antique replica table. I played on many of them throughout the Midwest in "upscale" rooms of the 60's and 70's. I didn't like them as much as playing on Gold Crowns, Sport Kings, Nationals or AMF tables but they were a lot better than Gandy's imo. By comparison the Brunswick home style tables did not play nearly as well as the Schmidt tables. Why I don't know.

A more modern table that compares well with Schmidts are the Rebco's out of Fresno. These are solid boxes if you can find one for sale somewhere. We used them in the Reno tournaments for many years. You'll see them on the Accu-Stat videos from that era. Global out of L.A. is another highly under rated table, still being manufactured today. Very solid and very well made imo. I used them for one of my big L.A. Opens and the players liked them.

Last edited:

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A.E. Schmidt's had the reputation as the best made "home style" table or antique replica table. I played on many of them throughout the Midwest in "upscale" rooms of the 60's and 70's. I didn't like them as much as playing on Gold Crowns, Sport Kings, Nationals or AMF tables but they were a lot better than Gandy's imo. By comparison the Brunswick home style tables did not play nearly as well as the Schmidt tables. Why I don't know.

A more modern table that compares well with Schmidts are the Rebco's out of Fresno. These are solid boxes if you can find one for sale somewhere. We used them in the Reno tournaments for many years. You'll see them on the Accu-Stat videos from that era. Global out of L.A. is another highly under rated table, still being manufactured today. Very solid and very well made imo. I used them for one of my big L.A. Opens and the players liked them.
Thanks for that advice Jay

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played on many A.E. Schmidt’s in the Chicago area. A friend of mine had 8 nine ft, (4.5” pockets), and 1 nine ft snooker in his room. He told me that the he bought the tables directly from the owner who came to Chicago to close the deal. Those tables played good.

bennettspring

Registered
AE Schmidt

I have owned them and they were great. The people involved with the company are great also. I had a 9ft. six leg table.