Brite-Tone: new waterborne finish

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
I never said that Brite-Tone was the best product around. I just started a thread about this new product that seemed an awesome alternative, I have finished now about 5 cues and I am very happy with it with the outcome, that's why I shared it...

Just follow these rules:
- Use an HVLP gun with a 0.8mm or 1.0mm needle
- Spray thin coats and let the cue rotate slowly for 5/10 minutes before hanging it
- Do not attempt to spray less than 2 hours apart additional coats
- Be patient and the results will make you happy!

Last edited:

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never said that Brite-Tone was the best product around. I just started a thread about this new product that seemed an awesome alternative, I have finished now about 5 cues and I am very happy with it with the outcome, that's why I shared it...

Just follow these rules:
- Spray thin coats and let the cue rotate slowly for 5/10 minutes before hanging it

I'm personally glad you did. It's another alternative and it gives those of us who haven't been doing this for long enough to have tried a zillion ways to do things a chance to learn and grow. Maybe I will like it better than CA and maybe I won't. But I will learn something in the process guaranteed.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I'm pretty sure that all of the finishes have merits. To each their own. I stayed with CA because Eric Crisp was nice enough to reach out when I was having trouble and invite me to his shop to show me how he does it.

I ordered a test kit since I have the equipment to spray and I'll see how this stuff works. Even after I use it, I'm not going to judge it without giving myself fair time and experience to ensure that it's being applied correctly.

I just don't see how it's so hard for people to just say "thank you for the information on the new product / technique / etc.," and move on. If it's not the way you do it, then do it your way and be happy with your results. Taking the time to bash a technique or product that you've never taken the time to learn is like saying piano players are all godless heathens simply because you failed at learning to play piano. Ignorance, especially coupled with arrogance, are strange and dangerous bedfellows.
You must have missed the part where someone emphatically said, if you can't put on Solarez finish, you should hire someone else to do your finish.
Well, I did try solarez and it stunk to the high heavens.
And I'm supposed to apply that thing manually?
Well, since we can't discount anything without trying it, I suggest you try it too.
After all , it's easier to apply than CA. Supposed to be really good since it goes on surfboards and is a UV finish.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've seen some UV cues that looked great and some that looked like crap. Everything has a learning curve to it. Poor bonding for starters. Milky appearance. Staining issues.
picture.php
picture.php

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BTW. The wrap section above is Irish linen. I don't know what the finishes mentioned are capable of.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I received my test kit yesterday. Once nice thing about water based is they can ship it by air, it doesn't have to go ground. My was shipped USPS Priority 2nd day on Thursday, got it Saturday.
I thought you guys would like to see how much you get in the kit.
FYI
Gary

Attachments

• Brite Tone Test Kit - Smaller.jpg
    Brite Tone Test Kit - Smaller.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 624
Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have only finished one shaft with solarez. And it looks fantastic. One seal coat and one finish coat .All brushed on. It took more sanding than I normally have to do with my normal finish but the end result was great.
I am not sure if I want to learn how to use it a little easier with the smell. That is one reason why I have used cue cote so long is because of its low odor. I have a pretty decent water based finish also and might be interested in trying this one also. Finish is not something I enjoy doing. Never have and anything that could actually make me enjoy finishing cues would be welcome.

Last edited:

The CrystaLac C

Registered
Good morning from CrystaLac

I received my test kit yesterday. Once nice thing about water based is they can ship it by air, it doesn't have to go ground. My was shipped USPS Priority 2nd day on Thursday, got it Saturday.
I thought you guys would like to see how much you get in the kit.
FYI
Gary
I just wanted to jump in here and thank everyone for the awesome response in this forum. I have talked with so many of you personally and the love for what you guys build is amazing. We have luthiers, bowl and pen turners, wood carvers all over the world and the passion for what you do amazes. We are proud to have our finishing products on your work. PLEASE! If anyone has any questions feel free to drop me a line or just give me a call. david@beckerlab.com, 423-218-8561.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just wanted to jump in here and thank everyone for the awesome response in this forum. I have talked with so many of you personally and the love for what you guys build is amazing. We have luthiers, bowl and pen turners, wood carvers all over the world and the passion for what you do amazes. We are proud to have our finishing products on your work. PLEASE! If anyone has any questions feel free to drop me a line or just give me a call. david@beckerlab.com, 423-218-8561.

I know you have a vested interest in selling your product, but it's still nice of you to come in here and answer questions and be available.

I'm comfortable with spraying autoclear, but I did recently try your wood grain filler for a specific cuemaking task. I liked it, it worked well in my application.

The CrystaLac C

Registered
6 months

Thank you. I like threads like this.:D

As for finish and I don't care what kind. I want to know what it's like in 6 months.

Hey Mike. CrystaLac Company has been producing Brite Tone Instrument Finish for 20+ years now with now problems so far. Here are some photos of a banjo made by Clancy Mullins about 12 years ago. It may need a scuff and another coat to freshen it up a bit now but over all it has held up pretty good. And we all know how hard on things those Bluegrass folks can be on stuff. LOL!
6.jpg
Capture.jpg
Capture3.jpg
Capture6.jpg

Guerra Cues

Silver Member
Thank you. I like threads like this.:D

As for finish and I don't care what kind. I want to know what it's like in 6 months.

Mike,

It's not only on this forum, people are not kind at all and they are purely judgmental.
I started the thread only to talk about this new product and even though I was not looking for a thank you, it is always nice when people thank you for the positiveness brought to the table.

Happy cuemaking :)

Guerra Cues

Silver Member
Hey Mike. CrystaLac Company has been producing Brite Tone Instrument Finish for 20+ years now with now problems so far. Here are some photos of a banjo made by Clancy Mullins about 12 years ago. It may need a scuff and another coat to freshen it up a bit now but over all it has held up pretty good. And we all know how hard on things those Bluegrass folks can be on stuff. LOL!
View attachment 488297
View attachment 488298
View attachment 488299
View attachment 488300

Too much moonshine :eek:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Awesome. I'm all in and positive towards any finish. Like everything we do. It's about learning about it and working with it. For myself, I not only have to study the finishes I use but I also try to learn about the finishes others use because of the refinishing I do. It puts me on both sides of the spectrum. It can be challenging but it's what I do.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike,

It's not only on this forum, people are not kind at all and they are purely judgmental.
I started the thread only to talk about this new product and even though I was not looking for a thank you, it is always nice when people thank you for the positiveness brought to the table.

Happy cuemaking :)

I thank you. Learning about new things is fun. I accept never condemn. I take pictures outside because you would be amazed what you see in natural sun light as opposed to shop lights. The camera has proven to be a useful tool on occasion.

Last edited:

wreiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
put a big spot of this finish on a white piece of paper......... let it cure ....... then put the paper on the dash of your car with the windows rolled up .......... let it sit there for a few days in the sun............... all the water based finishes I have ever used turned yellow.............. try it and see..........

Solarez never yellows.......... if you can't put on a Solarez finish .......... you should pay some one else to finish your cues for you................

Kim
I could just never get it to work right.... just a waste of money for me. Now I have a friend that is starting to use it now, he showed me a test piece the other week, It was not bad.

Last edited:

wreiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just follow these rules:
I appreciate your view on this alternative. I'm more of a General Finishes guy, but have been looking for a product line that might be better. Going to have to give this a try.