Going From Pro Tapper on a Jacoby Ultra Pro 12.75mm to 12.25mm with Euro Tapper?

MalibuMike

Banned
1st I know the warranty would be invalid... but would it hurt to trim down a 12.75mm Jacoby Ultra Pro Shaft from where Pro 12.75mm starts, and taper down gradually to the 12.25mm's tip?

I had Jacoby do one for me and it hit great but it took 4 months!
Could a skilled Cue-maker take down a 12.75 to a 12.25 safely?

Thank you!!

Mike

Jacoby Makes an 11.75mm with a Euro or gradual taper?

Attachments

• s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 373
  • s-l1600 (4).jpg
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 402
  • s-l1600 (10).jpg
    s-l1600 (10).jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 362
  • s-l1600 (7).jpg
    s-l1600 (7).jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 369
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
If it does not wobble too bad between centers, it can be reduced.
What is a Euro Taper ?

What is the diameter in the middle of the shaft ?
I'm assuming you don't want it reduced there.
So, you're going to have at least a half mm of taper from tip to the middle ?

If that shaft now has straight "taper" to the middle, a half mm of taper isn't much of a " Euro Taper" to me .

MalibuMike

Banned
Thank You!

If it does not wobble too bad between centers, it can be reduced.
What is a Euro Taper ?

What is the diameter in the middle of the shaft ?
I'm assuming you don't want it reduced there.
So, you're going to have at least a half mm of taper from tip to the middle ?

If that shaft now has straight "taper" to the middle, a half mm of taper isn't much of a " Euro Taper" to me .

Yes, thats what I Was hoping, It won't be much of a Euro or gradual tap, but the tip would be 12.25 and thats what I really care about. Are you sure it will not hurt all the laminations on the Jacoby Edge Ultra? have you seen its construction?
Thank you Joey!!

Mike

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
If Jacoby could do it, any competent maker with a nice taper machine and really sharp thin slot cutter should be able to do it .

venison-slayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tapper

one thing not to forget is the wall thickness of the ferrule on the edge hybrid the wall thickness on 12.75 is .035 and now you want to remove .020. I don't know the thickness on the ultra you should find that out

tsp&b

Silver Member
It is just a suggestion but I would consider just having another shaft made and keep one shaft original.

MalibuMike

Banned
Thanks for the suggestions, I had Eddie Cohen of Cohen Cues take it down!

Also Eddie did a much better job then the Custom Jacoby Shaft from the factory, Eddie gave me a slight gradual tapper down from 12.75mm to 12.25mm, as a result it is not as whippy as the Custom 12.25mm pro tapered Jacoby I bought. It plays awesome! It took Eddie a little while due to the rain and humidity factors, but that is the sign of a real Pro! Saving up to get my 1st Custom Cohen Cue! They are stunning!
Thanks all for your input!

Thanks Eddie!

http://cohencues.com/