Brunswick Superspeed Cushions

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
What I've gathered from this thread is that Artemis were prefered at one time because of the superspeeds questionable quality. It is now believed that the superspeeds are a quality product at this time. While I'd prefer superspeeds it seems as if the Artemis are a fine substitute when properly installed.

Also a local room just had their rails completely refurbished and did not install superspeeds. My feeling is for the exact reason you mentioned.

What tables are in the local room you speak of?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Twenty years ago when five or six new rooms opened in this area with GC3s, there was a major quality issue with the rubber. The cushions started going hard within a couple of years. Not all of them and not all at once. My main room ended up replacing about 60 cushion sections on their 24 pool tables.

Brunswick refused to help in any way. They evidently do not warranty commercial equipment. There are still rooms in this area that do not want Brunswick rubber on their tables.

Ask the installer if he will give a 5-year warranty for the rubber going bad.

To answer your question, how many GC4s have had the cushions replaced for going bad, because they've been out for more than 5 years;)

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Twenty years ago when five or six new rooms opened in this area with GC3s, there was a major quality issue with the rubber. The cushions started going hard within a couple of years. Not all of them and not all at once. My main room ended up replacing about 60 cushion sections on their 24 pool tables.

Brunswick refused to help in any way. They evidently do not warranty commercial equipment. There are still rooms in this area that do not want Brunswick rubber on their tables.

In 1986 i replaced the rocm hard cushions on 18 GC3s because they turned rock hard, Brunswick sent 18 sets of replacement cushions at no charge. No one who puts a warranty on cushions is willing to pay the labor to have the cushions replaced....no one! I've told Fred and Mike with championship that instead of just putting a lifetime warrenty on their tour edition cushions, they should also offer a $250 cash award as well to cover the cost of replacemt for labor, BUT....that before that gets paid out, insist that the cushions be mailed back to their company first for their first had inspection, then if the cushions are in fact bad, mail out a check. I've seen to many sets of cushions replaced that were in good condition just because someone asked the installer...."do you think the cushions on my table need to be replaced?" Well hell yes, i can use the extra money!!!

When has anyone complained about the cushions going bad on a GC5....how long have they been out now....more than 5 years?

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
If its soo good, why has it been on here for like a year???

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=450706

74da74b4de99e741bfa82413a8512d1d.jpg

p.s. You never post anything other than bullshit, its all over your face....

First of all let me set the record straight...That table was debuted in Valley Forge at the Super Billiard Expo this past February. It has not been up for sale for over a year. I know this because I am partners on this table. I have 27 years in the billiard industry and have seen many restorations and so called restorations. This is by far the nicest Centennial out there. It looks and plays incredible. I am not coming on here for a pissing match. The sister to this table was sold and fetched the money that was asked for.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Here's a question for you, first, do you like how your pool table plays? Because if you do, why would you change? Second, why did you change from the original cushions in the first place?

I went with new cushions because I was recovering the table and it had Monarch Superspeeds. In hindsight the original Monarchs seemed to be in good shape and it was most likely the cloth making it play slow. But I also wanted the pockets tightened to 4 1/2". I ended up with Artemis because at that time the table mechanics, I believe you included (no disrespect intended) were using and suggesting Artemis cushions. I cant say I am unhappy with the way it plays but if it will play "better" with Superspeeds that would be my preference. My table plays eerily like a blue label Diamond. 1 thing I definitely do not want to do is slow it down at all.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

I dont know if this pertains to indoor rubber products but the aerospace industry had problems with rubber prematurely aging in California from the ozone, apparently it was only a regional thing.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Guess what, not as bad on Superspeed . Artemis's points grab more.
Mark predicted it'd happen to my table and explained it in detail.
He hit the nail on the head.
From listening to several experts, including a two Diamond mechs and from my experience, that conclusion isn't a hearsay anymore.
Some denied it first then could no longer deny it.

And from your own words which you somehow conveniently forget.

Why do people install Superspeed on GC's when you and Mark prefer Superspeed on them?
Explain that .

QUIT FLIPFLOPPING.
You'd be a lousy witness in court. You sound like Obama when he went to a White Sox game.

If the Artemis points grab more causing them to bank short would it not also make sense that you can then easily make them bank longer with english? I would think the english transferred to the object ball would therefore make a much more noticeable difference in bank angle compared to Superspeeds.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
If the Artemis points grab more causing them to bank short would it not also make sense that you can then easily make them bank longer with english? I would think the english transferred to the object ball would therefore make a much more noticeable difference in bank angle compared to Superspeeds.

Ask mark/perpfectpocketz.
Here's a thread that might interest you.http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=456513

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
This is why I switched to Artemis cushions on my GC2 about 10 years ago. 5 years before that I had Superspeeds installed on it. Consistency was lacking.

Like anything else, you can have a quality product but if it was a hosed up install, you won't like the results.

My rails were done by RKC they play perfect, and have not changed in all that time.

Regardless of what the OP gets, have a competent professional do the install.

What I've gathered from this thread is that Artemis were prefered at one time because of the superspeeds questionable quality. It is now believed that the superspeeds are a quality product at this time. While I'd prefer superspeeds it seems as if the Artemis are a fine substitute when properly installed.

Also a local room just had their rails completely refurbished and did not install superspeeds. My feeling is for the exact reason you mentioned.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I saw the table myself and had a short chat with you. Trust me if I had the scratch, you would have been delivering that table to Shrewsbury PA.

First of all let me set the record straight...That table was debuted in Valley Forge at the Super Billiard Expo this past February. It has not been up for sale for over a year. I know this because I am partners on this table. I have 27 years in the billiard industry and have seen many restorations and so called restorations. This is by far the nicest Centennial out there. It looks and plays incredible. I am not coming on here for a pissing match. The sister to this table was sold and fetched the money that was asked for.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As long as I can get 4 1/2 to 5 table lengths from the head spit with these new superspeeds then I'm good with that.
Is this done with a center ball hit and and hard stroke ? I tried it with a low hit and hard stroke and got 4 1/2 rails from the head spot and it the ball died right at center table.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

jim_vielee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this done with a center ball hit and and hard stroke ? I tried it with a low hit and hard stroke and got 4 1/2 rails from the head spot and it the ball died right at center table.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

What kid of table do you have?

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Damn, trent and mark were banned. :eek::grin:
Damn mechanic flame wars.:eek::grin:
Happy now?

Can you now get rid of that derogatory signature?

quote by qbilder
That's what you get for listening to that blowhard That guy takes a tiny crumb of info & next thing you know he's preaching an entire knowledge base around it. He has a well earned reputation for manipulating, twisting, playing folks against one another as if they are pawns in his personal game of chess.He does so with no regard to anybody but himself, for nothing but his own personal gain.

Last edited:

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Happy now?

Can you now get rid of that derogatory signature?

quote by qbilder
That's what you get for listening to that blowhard That guy takes a tiny crumb of info & next thing you know he's preaching an entire knowledge base around it. He has a well earned reputation for manipulating, twisting, playing folks against one another as if they are pawns in his personal game of chess.He does so with no regard to anybody but himself, for nothing but his own personal gain.

YOU happy now?
I had nothing to do with their flame war.
No, but you added gasoline and watched it burn!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
No, but you added gasoline and watched it burn!

That's funny. I didn't post anything in between their flame war.
And, no to your request. It's a reminder to myself not to listen to some people.
And you are starting another flame war.
Practice what you preach.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wrong, apples to oranges, but if you really played pool you'd know that, sorry for correcting you, but you ARE wrong.

Let me give you just one example of you being wrong. If you take the cue ball and shoot it the cull length of the table dead down the middle and contact the center diamond on the foot rail with either extreme 9 or 3 o'clock english/spin, you'll be able to come off the cushion at a greater angle rebounding off the Artemis cushions than you ever will coming off the superspeed cushions, why is that? Try shortening up a bank shot on the klematch P59 K55 profile cushions, good luck. Why do you think billiards cushions are so dense, so hard, in fact so hard that if you stretch the rail cloth with a pair of pliers and place a staple right next to the nose of the pliers, the nose of the cushions won't show any signs of dimpling? No, superspeed cushions don't play anywhere near what Artemis or Klematch cushions, for pool, they play better period.

If I really played pool? LOL
Dude you need to stop talking out of the side of your face.

Sorry but they all make "good" pool cushions regardless of your opinion.
Furthermore, without any proof of your claims, its just a bunch of hot air.

"I'm the great and powerful Glen and nobody knows more about rubber than ME!
...Or rails!
..Or tables!
...Or cloth!
I am The Glen and you are all IDIOTS ! "

Please show us the results of your durometer tests Glen.
(ANY durometer testing you have done to Brunswick, Artemis or Klematch cushions)
Show us the video(s) of identical tables set up with different cushions for testing.
Show us the ramp you've built for launching balls into various cushions at the exact same speed and angle.
Show us the chemical makeup comparison of each cushion and their % of gum rubber + additives.

After you do, then we can have a serious conversation about cushions.