Dale Perry.............

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this has been covered here before but i must say these might be the best deal on a cue anywhere. I just traded for one and to say i'm impressed would be a major understatement. Great build, perfect shaft, wrap and near perfect balance point. You can pick these up for less than what most wood shafts sell for. I've heard how good these play and call me a believer. If you want a affordable everyday player or killer back-up cue you really outta test hit one if you can. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. UPDATE: cue was 18.8(no bolt) when i got it. Like em a tad heavier. 1/2oz bolt made it ideal for me.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Crummy camera. Its one of his basic points up/points down models. Wood looks like purple-heart or something like it. Penolic with thin steel collar joint, brass radial pin. Great hitting cue. Very similar to this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dale-Perry...902958?hash=item3d899efc6e:g:Wj4AAOSwjlBcxfey

I bought one that was very similar to that one from Dale a few years ago.

The fit and finish of the butt and wrap was superb and the balance was good, too. The shaft was well made, but I wasn't overly fond of it. The wood wasn't as smooth as I would have liked it and it had quite a bit of deflection, but, for the price I got it for, it wasn't something you could really complain about.

I was going to buy a good shaft to play with the butt, but I acquired another cue before I got the chance and there was a guy in the pool hall needing a cue, so I sold it to him for what I paid for it. He was happy, I was happy and I still think the cue would have been a very good player with a better shaft.

And some people don't like Dale for whatever reason, but every time I've ever talked to him on the phone he has been super nice to me.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once you get beyond all the controversy, this is what I pretty consistently hear about his cues.

He pissed a lot of people off so you hear a lot about that.

But I consistently hear the cues are reasonably well made and a great value.

Just looking at them in pictures you can see the imperfections in the inlays etc. Nothing drastic. Maybe just running his cutters longer than he should without replacing or sharpening.

I think they are likely a very reasonable choice in the price range.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once you get beyond all the controversy, this is what I pretty consistently hear about his cues.

He pissed a lot of people off so you hear a lot about that.

But I consistently hear the cues are reasonably well made and a great value.

Just looking at them in pictures you can see the imperfections in the inlays etc. Nothing drastic. Maybe just running his cutters longer than he should without replacing or sharpening.

I think they are likely a very reasonable choice in the price range.

I gotta buck'twenty in mine. I've paid waaaaaaaaaay more for cues that didn't hit this good. Mine is flawless. I bought it as kinda of back-up but i'm gonna use it full-time for a while.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have owned many. many custom cues costing over $1000 and I owned one Dale Perry purchased around seven years ago on eBay for $120 and i could do ANYTHING with that cue that I could do with a $3000 cue- I had no issues with the cue at all, the shafts played as good as any custom cue makers shafts- When living in NY back then I placed very high in some very competitive tournaments using that cue- no issues at all- it has been sold this year though to make room a Mike Capone Hoppe that I wanted as a keeper for my collection.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have owned many. many custom cues costing over $1000 and I owned one Dale Perry purchased around seven years ago on eBay for $120 and i could do ANYTHING with that cue that I could do with a $3000 cue- I had no issues with the cue at all, the shafts played as good as any custom cue makers shafts- When living in NY back then I placed very high in some very competitive tournaments using that cue- no issues at all- it has been sold this year though to make room a Mike Capone Hoppe that I wanted as a keeper for my collection.
Ditto. A LOT of cue for the money. Custom cue playability for Players cue price.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a DP custom from 2000...it is excellent. Beautifully made and fun to play with. Paid close to $1000 and have no regrets.

Also 3 ebay cues..... one has broken loose rings, cracked acrylic. The other 2 are as good as any in it's price range. The shafts are poor. Nick very easily.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a DP custom from 2000...it is excellent. Beautifully made and fun to play with. Paid close to $1000 and have no regrets.

Also 3 ebay cues..... one has broken loose rings, cracked acrylic. The other 2 are as good as any in it's price range. The shafts are poor. Nick very easily.
I've had two, a friend has two and another has owned about 4-5 and none of us have had ANY shaft dinging problems. In fact they all have had some of the best shafts i've ever seen on a production cue. Straight with good tight grain. Its kinda hard to ding hard maple without some force applied onto another hard object. Just playing with them won't "nick easily" as you put it.

Last edited: