Why does BCA allow this??????

NateSchoepf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why does the BCA allow "in house" pool leagues to be run by someone other than the league operator from the area the "in house league" is being run in? And what would you do if the person who started this in house league was trying to get teams to quit the weekly traveling league and leave the taverns, bars, and other pool halls(which have been supporting these teams for years) to join this in house league? I think calling up team captains from other establishments and trying to get them to leave the place they play is going over the top. Can't the BCA stop this by only allowing the league operators who have the rights to certain areas run these leagues, in house or traveling, so they can avoid this undercutting of long time league operators and the supporting bars and pool halls?

Can anything be done?

Nate.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
You call Bill Stock at the BCAPL and I am sure he can answer your questions.

(702)719-7665

ronhudson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The BCAPL is not a franchise league system like the APA, TAP, and VNEA. They don't grant exclusive rights to a territory or offer very much protection against encroachment, and they only control the local BCA leagues to a very limited extent. The BCAPL really only provides a sanctioning function and the national tournament -- all the rest is up to the local League Operator, who decides pretty much everything on the local level about how the league will be run and under what format and rules.

A lot of people don't like the way the APA, TAP, VNEA, etc, are structured with their central, national administration and rules written and enforced by what many players perceive to be an impersonal, out-of-touch national body -- well, this is the other extreme.

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
ronhudson said:
The BCAPL is not a franchise league system like the APA, TAP, and VNEA. They don't grant exclusive rights to a territory or offer very much protection against encroachment, and they only control the local BCA leagues to a very limited extent. The BCAPL really only provides a sanctioning function and the national tournament -- all the rest is up to the local League Operator, who decides pretty much everything on the local level about how the league will be run and under what format and rules.

A lot of people don't like the way the APA, TAP, VNEA, etc, are structured with their central, national administration and rules written and enforced by what many players perceive to be an impersonal, out-of-touch national body -- well, this is the other extreme.

Tappity tap tap.

As far as I know, any ol' schmoe can run a local BCA league. You don't have to pony up however many greenbacks for a franchise (new or existing), you don't get exclusive rights to any areas.

As far as "calling up team captains" and encouraging defections... that's a whole 'nuther story. Bad form, at best. But there's no rules/regulations/etc. specifically barring it, AFAIK.

Firecracker

aka Crackalackin
Silver Member
Then you have the downside to this kind of coverage - if players are dissatisfied with the league director in their area, they would have to turn to other league options such as ACS, TAP, APA, VNEA, etc.

This recently happened in Dallas and without the ability for the players to form a new in-house BCA league, we would have been stuck looking for a new league system.

From conversations with this change, I believe that the BCA ops to allow this so that the players can decide what league is best for them. If the in-house league prospers then they know that is what the players are looking for.

NateSchoepf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its not that the players are unhappy with the league operator its one person trying to use this to take business from others to grow the business of one place?

I get the why they might do this also, incase the players are not happy with the league operator.

Thanks, Nate.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
In that case

it will be which ever one pays the best, and playing inhouse vs. traveling is also a definite plus because you know what the tables will be like from week to week.

Going to different 'junky' bars does not appeal to some people.

NateSchoepf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just think they should protect the league operators a little better or you may end up without a strong league presence in that area. The BCA should atleast have the "in house" league operator work through the local league operator so there is not as much of a hit to Local League Operator. I meen, the traveling leagues usually attract more players to the league as if not for the matches being played in the local bars and pool halls many players would not know there was the oppertunity to play or join the league. Nate.

Last edited:

Zims Rack

Promoting the Cueing Arts
Silver Member
I don't think any organization (APA, VNEA, TAP, BCA, etc) should have any say in how an "in house" league is sanctioned or who runs it. That is a Private establishment, if they choose to create a league system that is more appealing to the players and have the means to advertise it, then so be it. You can't criticise the room owners for advertising their league around town, after all, the other leagues are putting flyers, posters, banners, magazines, etc in the pool rooms trying to get players to play in THEIR league. I think there should be more "in house" leagues, maybe the other leagues will change the way they are running things.

I say all this and I run an independent "traveling" league! I feel no threat from "in house" leagues. The players like my league system and the payouts!

Just my .02,
Zim

ronhudson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Zims Rack said:
I don't think any organization (APA, VNEA, TAP, BCA, etc) should have any say in how an "in house" league is sanctioned or who runs it. That is a Private establishment, if they choose to create a league system that is more appealing to the players and have the means to advertise it, then so be it. You can't criticise the room owners for advertising their league around town, after all, the other leagues are putting flyers, posters, banners, magazines, etc in the pool rooms trying to get players to play in THEIR league. I think there should be more "in house" leagues, maybe the other leagues will change the way they are running things.

I say all this and I run an independent "traveling" league! I feel no threat from "in house" leagues. The players like my league system and the payouts!

Just my .02,
Zim

The in house leagues in this instance have opted to become sanctioned by a national league. When they do that, they are subject to the league's sanctioning rules.

FeltMaster

You Get The 8
Silver Member
Zims Rack said:

Just my .02,
Zim
Like Zim said, it really comes down to personal choice. People will play where and for whom they want.
Our Local BCA plays in the same room and same night as the APA (APA is four times the size, playing 5 nights a week) does. If anything the BCA benefited here by picking up some APA players.
People decide based on caliber of play, format, PEOPLE INVOLVED, benefits..etc..
I have played many different leagues, it always comes down to the people involved for me.
My $.02
Dom

Zims Rack

Promoting the Cueing Arts
Silver Member
This is my personal opinion and I know I'll get comments back, but...

If there's a pool room with lets say 8 or more tables of the same size (size doesn't matter) and they don't have an in house league... their missing out and that shows me that the owner(s) and manager(s) are just too lazy or lack the knowledge to organize a league. I'm not saying they can't have "other" leagues playing out of their also!

After running the Gateway Amateur Tour for 3 years, starting our 4th this October, I've seen a lot of lazy owners/managers in pool rooms. These people are complaining that the economy sucks, people aren't playing pool anymore, they don't want to spend $7 a night to play pool. All I hear them saying is that, I give up on the players if they are going to give up on me and my business.

I know a lot of league/tournament players and they don't mind spending money to play, IF they see the opportunity to get money back. Do the math, you pay $7 a night to play for say 28-32 weeks, win 1st place and get $300 back and a slot in a tournament in Vegas with $$$$ added (or promised), take time off work, travel to Vegas, go 2 and out and come back home empty handed... BUT you have an experience of a lifetime and photos to show your friends.
Start an in house league, charge the same as the other leagues, keep $1-$2 for table time per player and pay the rest out to those that spend the money in YOUR establishment... they WILL keep coming back!

Enough rant, as you may have figured out, I can't stand the leagues that keep robbing the local players!
Zim

Bill S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far a in-house leagues go, we do have a problem with the establishment calling existing team captains from another league and soliciting their teams to jump ship to a new league. Rather than debating the situation, why don't you call me and let me know who is doing this and I will look into the situation.

Bill Stock
BCA Pool League

Chucklez65

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Bill S said:
As far a in-house leagues go, we do have a problem with the establishment calling existing team captains from another league and soliciting their teams to jump ship to a new league. Rather than debating the situation, why don't you call me and let me know who is doing this and I will look into the situation.

Bill Stock
BCA Pool League

Tap Tap Tap

Good Answer!!!

secretsquirrel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bca

Nate,

Ok first, not everyone likes to travel, so it is more convienent for some to be able to play in the same place every week. Also, sometimes the Players would like to be able to qualify with people within a reasonable distance that do not play under the same charter. As was said before, the BCA does not charge for franchise areas so the league operators have no specific right to an area. If you do a little research in the area you are talking about, there used to be 2 operators but the first one in the area went silent for awhile and now has decided that there were enough players that wanted a choice to make worth the time to start up again. If you would like some info, pm me, I will be more than happy to let you know what facts you are missing.

Bill S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After a little investigation, the new in house league is doing nothing inappropriate. This thread may now go away.

Bill Stock, BCA Pool League

bignasty

"I already did it"
Silver Member
see now

you ask a bca pool league question and you get THE BCA pool league answer! get um billy!:thumbup: