Cue length

luke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are the advantages or disadvantages of 58" vs 60" cues? I'm thinking of buying a longer cue because I don't stretch and stay on balance like I used to.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well here is my 0.02 cents

Longer than normal cues work out for (1) tall, older or a combo of the two player, which allow for them to pretty much get over and around the table a tad bit easier and with a tad bit less bending and stretching for them.

But just like shooting with a glove, i find that going with a longer cue is just making an excuse for using the bridge and not trying to apply the proper and best fundament for the said situation. stretching over the table is still stretching over the table and should be avoided, that is why we practice keeping center table and stuff so much so as not to have this happen.

Just like practicing a 4 rail bank where yes it would come up, so will times when 2" on your cue matter but look at it like this "if, if it was that crucial then it would be a lot more popular now wouldn't it" cause surely every single player has been in that given situation.

P.S.
keep your equipment clean and take care of it, a glove is just being lazy for doing that. This is an extension of YOU, YOU paid good money for it and expect it to come thru for YOU in the clutch, so why not treat the dame thing with some respect.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Try different lengths and see what you are comfortable with. Nobody can tell some else what length is better. I have 29, 30, 31 inch shafts for one of my cues. I keep going back to the 29".

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
try it out,see what you like.advice is good at times but trial and error has its place
i have had cues from 57 to 60 and i liked some of each
southwest still sends me 59 inch because thats what i requested 20 years ago,even though i currently play shorter cues,but it really makes no difference to me

Pangit

Banned
try it out,see what you like.advice is good at times but trial and error has its place
i have had cues from 57 to 60 and i liked some of each
southwest still sends me 59 inch because thats what i requested 20 years ago,even though i currently play shorter cues,but it really makes no difference to me
Correct me if I'm wrong? The standard cue is 58" Efren "prefers" a 60" cue. Correction, "demands" it. He's 5'10" Tall for a Pinoy.

I also like a long cue

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I don't really think any one poster has hit the nail on the head yet. Let me tell you why I prefer a 60" cue. I stand 6'1" tall. I have long arms. I also like to use a medium-long bridge length. When I am down on a shot with a 58" cue and I am using a bridge length of around 12" and my forearm is pointing straight down at the floor when the tip of my cue is at the contact point of the cueball, then I am holding my cue at the very back end of the cue at the buttcap. Not my comfort zone to say the least. Then, if I have to stretch for a shot, it really gets awkward. 60" cues fit me in a way that gives me a little "wiggle room" for my grip hand. If your height/arm length/bridge length allows you to grip your cue within the rear of the wrap area ( or at least a few inches above the buttcap on a wrapless cue), then a 58" cue is probably gonna work for you. I don't use a 60" cue because I WANT to, I use one because I NEED to. I own quite a few 58" cues, but I only use them on the barboxes where I don't have to stretch out as often. On the bigger tables, I need a longer cue.

Hope this helps!!!

Maniac

Last edited:

ridinda9

AKA: Sandy Bagger
Silver Member
Correct me if I'm wrong? The standard cue is 58"
58" is the "new" standard . It was 57" for years , but it was increased because of demand. Whether by coincidence or not , the median height of Americans also increased drastically during that time . As we continue to get taller and have broader wingspans , "standard" may increase also !

To Luke , my advice is try a 60" , and see how you like it . Remember , your hand is only about 6" long ~ why is the wrap (grip section) on your cue so long ? To allow you to choke up or move back as the shot requires !
Length , along with so many other factors , involves personal preference . . .

heit8

Psalm 27:3
Silver Member
I have tried 58,59,60 in cues, I am only 5'9 or so but have a fairly long stroke. I find that the best lenth for my style of play is 59, if i use a 58 i tend to hold the cue at the buttcap. 60 seemed a little long for me. So... I think it is all just preference.

JMD in VA

It's All Good!
Silver Member

Longer than normal cues work out for (1) tall, older or a combo of the two player, which allow for them to pretty much get over and around the table a tad bit easier and with a tad bit less bending and stretching for them.

But just like shooting with a glove, i find that going with a longer cue is just making an excuse for using the bridge and not trying to apply the proper and best fundament for the said situation. stretching over the table is still stretching over the table and should be avoided, that is why we practice keeping center table and stuff so much so as not to have this happen.

Just like practicing a 4 rail bank where yes it would come up, so will times when 2" on your cue matter but look at it like this "if, if it was that crucial then it would be a lot more popular now wouldn't it" cause surely every single player has been in that given situation.

P.S.
keep your equipment clean and take care of it, a glove is just being lazy for doing that. This is an extension of YOU, YOU paid good money for it and expect it to come thru for YOU in the clutch, so why not treat the dame thing with some respect.

I differ with you on a couple statements here.

The use of a glove, for some people is because they have sweaty hands and they would spend half of the match at the sink washing and drying their hands to keep the cue clean. It is a condition called hyperhydrosis. I had it and had surgery to stop it. One of the best investments in my game I ever made. Granted, there are some lazy folks in this game but the use of the glove is not only for them.

I think there is another reason folks get a longer cue. Their arm length is long and they want a cue that looks proportional. What I mean b y that is that he cue looks like a normal cue and the wrap is not hanging off the back of the cue. I'm a fairly tall guy and have played with a 59 in cue (29 in butt, 30 in shaft) for years and am getting a 60 in cue built now. I have always had my hand hanging off the end of the wrap and now I will finally have a cue that my whole hand will be on the wrap.

Just my 2 cents. Just saying there are other reasons for the use of longer cues and gloves. Some are purists when it comes to the game; some don't mind using any tool that is available to them. I have a friend that won't put blue cloth on his table because he grew up with only seeing green cloth.

Efren has a cue that is longer for shots out towards the center of the table and a shorter cue for shooting over balls.

Everyone is different; that's why it is easier to play the table and not your opponent.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Ok
1. Cue length fits the persons height. Most people fit the 58" cue, but a 6'8" person would find a 58" cue a little awkward. (I'm 6'2" and use a 60 inch cue.)

2. One thing to consider when getting a 60" cue is that if you are going to use joint protectors, it might not fit in your cue case! I took the spring out of the bottom of my instroke case so my cue would fit!

I disagree about a shorter cue being more accurate, I think a shorter cue forces you to use a shorter bridge which is more accurate for certain shots. You can achieve the same result with a longer cue.

Trent

Banned
i built a 59 inch cue for myself and love it. im 6ft with a long stroke so it seems like i can get to the ball better with that extra inch.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member

P.S.

I agree with everything except the using a glove means your lazy. I take excellent care of my equipment and I wash my hands regularly during play, but sometimes I still need to use a glove. ( during hot humid missouri days!) If your hands are sweating it doesn't matter how clean your cue is. Also using a glove will help keep you cue clean. A person could almost argue that your being lazy for not using one....... but I'm not that person!

Last edited:

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a 61” cue because it allows me to keep my right hand relatively closer to the balance point of the cue for many shots. If my hand is near the balance point the swinging of the cue stick seems natural and I am not forcing power so much as using the available weight to move the cue ball around. I guess that you have to try several cues to find what feels right for using natural momentum. Then too as your bridging hand moves away from the cue ball you need more cue to get to the cue ball. I think that many people accomplish this by moving the right hand further back on the stick. I like the weight behind and in front of my back hand evenly distributed with only a little more weight on the front of the cue to keep the tip down.

Last edited:

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry guys, for going off on the glove guys and thank you for not bashing me for it, but it's just that most of the people that I see with gloves are just using it cause their stick is to dirty, you see it on their shaft and on the ferrel so I get at them when ever I can with the hope that the smarter ones understand.

Also, I most people saying the same thing or point that I was trying to make in my earlier post, but maybe I was not said right as I had just got home from work (night shift) and was prob ranting more than anything else. But like I said "taller people" and "older" people tend to use the longer cues for the same reson that someone else "MR 6' 1" mentioned, so there.

So in closing I am sticking to my original post and to the glove wearers, well u know that they say.

If it fits. lol

dirtydog48

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Golfers

Tennis players, and baseball players use clubs, rackets, and bats of lengths to match their size. Can you imagine a 6'2" golfer using clubs made for a 5'2" player? I am 6'2" and have used a 64" cue for years. I do think it is important that the shaft and butt be the same length, 32"/32" in my case.

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
a few years ago, an az'er contacted me to build him a 66" cue
after further discussions, as he plays in apa & bca pool leagues,
63" is max. allowable cue length
good thing, because i couldnt do the 66 anyway without modifying my lathe
he said he was 6'10" with a 7'6" reach
carried his cue in a golf bag :grin:

i'm so short, when i fart, i blow my socks down
i like a 60" cue
anytime i dont have to use a bridge, i'm happy :thumbup: