What's your inspiration for playing?

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's your inspiration for playing? for me it was watching Bustamante & Reyes, I was 13 and thought wow, what imagination to
play that way, and especially a lot of the shots made in that 99 world championships, Inspired me to think there is nothing you can't make on a pool table if you have imagination, also adds a lot to your game when playing defensive to see what others can't:)

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's your inspiration for playing? for me it was watching Bustamante & Reyes, I was 13 and thought wow, what imagination to
play that way, and especially a lot of the shots made in that 99 world championships, Inspired me to think there is nothing you can't make on a pool table if you have imagination, also adds a lot to your game when playing defensive to see what others can't:)

Probably first "The Hustler" then seeing Willie Mosconi shoot in person.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=82386

Lou Figueroa

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Inspiration? Probably just the sheer delight in pocketing my first ball and then learning that I need to figure out shape for the next. I just fell in love with the patterns, the thinking, the bank shots, the dramatic outs, and on and on and on. Yup, I'm a lifer...

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
I would say

that after playing for 50 years that I am a lifer too ... lol Love Pool, many things about it. One thing I like to do though, is figure out how my opponent thinks, because if I know how he thinks then I can beat him. (Shades of the Art of War shining through there).

And Mosconi has always been one of my inspirations in Pool.

Autist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am sure like for many others, one of my reasons is that I forget everything else about the world while I am playing. No worries, just balls and pockets.

chalk is cheap

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
played a little every now and then from young man until my boys statrted playing, now by this time i'm in my mid 50's trying to really learn the game. i started way to late in life but enjoy playing in local tournaments and leagues. now my health is failing and i'm on o2 all the time, but playing out of my power chair. whole new learning experience now. but i guess being able to still play some i am thankful for that. blame my boys for hooking me but what a blessing for a father.
HUD

matcase

Blondie's #1 fan
Silver Member
Truth = Beauty...I want to think the game sees me as adorable as my momma does, however, I must do the shots well to play well. No politics, no bias, no bs at all. It is up to how well I can do, and my effort to improve. I guess it is as fair as it gets. That is all one can ask of a task.

Andrewk1988

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sheer competitiveness and will to be better than everyone else I come across. I love the feeling of shaking someone's hand and knowing that I beat you.

This, combined with the fact that everybody is equal on the felt. Doesn't matter what you look like, how physically gifted you are, nothing. Also it's one of the few games that truly, without any doubt, combines athletic ability and mental ability.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
I have a plasma TV in my office for presentations. Since I've been lucky enough to stay close to home these past few weeks I had The Hustler playing in the background the other day while I worked. It wasn't loud, just background noise, something familiar to keep me sane.

I was in the middle of reading a proposal and I heard it. It's that sound the balls make when they hit each other. I don't know why, but it's always caught my attention. Eddie was sitting in the bar, just after losing to Fats and his head spun around at the same time mine did. That sound grabs me and I have to see where it's coming from.

Unlike some others I don't always get the solitude of playing and escaping the world. My world constantly gets in the way; a phone ringing, an email, a text message. If I could I'd turn my Blackberry off but then Murphy's Law would cause a massive server failure and people would be hunting me with sharpened stakes.

Whenever it gets to be too much I listen to that sound. It keeps things in focus. It's not a gunshot, or a siren, it's something else. The clack of a half-ball hit, the click of a pocket drop. That's what keeps me playing.

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing pool, for me, represents a perfect balance; it's easy enough to get proficient and keep my interest, but there will always be an infinite number of opportunities for improvement. I'm inspired by my progress, and at the same time I'm inspired by my ineptitude.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
For me it is simply the performance. I keep playing so I dont get to far out of stroke. Cashing or winning a tournament is inspiration enough 4 me
most of the time. Once you put just so much time in the game you hate
to play bad. That is what keeps me at the table .