The best sponsor for pool?

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How would that help the Professional pool player, what does it mean the them, with the Olympics bei g only held every 4 years?

First, I am sure you were looking for a sponsor, probably not exactly the same thing that being part of Olympics games. It is not technically a "sponsor."

But, to this question. Every country would have to invest in advancing their top players within their country. Largely, this would mean to grow the sport with tournaments, training, and in some even gambling.

Also many countries would try to bring more attention to the sport in their own country, in order to attract young talent to take up the game. They would have to develop their talent base. This would also lead to more tournaments and larger purses.

Basically, the attention that comes with that stage would open opportunities for sponsorship.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So are YOU going to show that you have a better education than a 5th grader and give an idea, or just spend your time knocking me because I'm smarter than you are?

GBS said it best. “I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.”

Besides, it’s recess! I’m going to play pool. Later

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Chinese market is huge. It's keeping snooker alive- way higher profile there than anywhere else, and the Chinese now have digital rights to broadcast snooker, so only going to get bigger. Problem with the Chinese market for pool, is they already have their own version, with tens of millions of fans, and the game's spreading, with tournaments in Europe, the US and South America. Chinese 8 ball tournament live streams had about 100 million views last year, and it's on TV too, so you can probably add another 60 million or so to that. On top of that, the games attractive to new players, because there's decent prize money.

The best sponsor for pool in the US would probably be Joy, but only if you don't mind adapting to the chinese table

Then answer me this, why are people that currently own the Chinese 8 ball tables here in the US trying to dump them for lack of play? And by the way, you're numbers are fake news....LOL

realkingcobra

Silver Member
First, I am sure you were looking for a sponsor, probably not exactly the same thing that being part of Olympics games. It is not technically a "sponsor."

But, to this question. Every country would have to invest in advancing their top players within their country. Largely, this would mean to grow the sport with tournaments, training, and in some even gambling.

Also many countries would try to bring more attention to the sport in their own country, in order to attract young talent to take up the game. They would have to develop their talent base. This would also lead to more tournaments and larger purses.

Basically, the attention that comes with that stage would open opportunities for sponsorship.

If you're expecting countries to support future Olympic hopefuls, until they're considered to be good enough to compete in the Olympics every 4 years....when pool can't even determine who professional players are today, let alone support them through professional tournaments....i think the Olympics is still a long ways off.

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're expecting countries to support future Olympic hopefuls, until they're considered to be good enough to compete in the Olympics every 4 years....when pool can't even determine who professional players are today, let alone support them through professional tournaments....i think the Olympics is still a long ways off.

I disagree with you that it is a long ways off. I don't think it will ever happened. ...But if it ever did...

I'm the type that buys a lottery ticket every year or so, just to have a dream of What if? Because I know that it's never going to happen! Lol

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey RKC you're doing a pretty good job of knocking everyone else's take so whats this big idea to save pro pool? Spill it or kill it. You ask and knock so WTF???????????? If you're so f&*(^g smart come with it or just drop it. WHO really cares what a VERY small group( "real" pros) do/say anyway? Regardless of what you do their greed and shortsightedness will torpedo any attempt at "real pros playing real pool".

MJB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this is an easy one...

The answer is that there's no ideal corporate sponsor that could possibly inject enough money and infrastructure to a professional US tour to ever make it worth their time or money. Period.

Pool in the US will never get past the image of gambling in a smoke filled bar (even though bars are now non-smoking). Pool has no developmental system. Yeah there are pockets of junior leagues around the US, but nothing like organized club sports. These things make it hard to market to the masses, which in turn make it hard to get any return on investment for the sponsor.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The answer is that there's no ideal corporate sponsor that could possibly inject enough money and infrastructure to a professional US tour to ever make it worth their time or money. Period.

Pool in the US will never get past the image of gambling in a smoke filled bar (even though bars are now non-smoking). Pool has no developmental system. Yeah there are pockets of junior leagues around the US, but nothing like organized club sports. These things make it hard to market to the masses, which in turn make it hard to get any return on investment for the sponsor.
Exactly. What sponsor with the kind of $$$ that such a tour would take is going to get involved with pool? You're right: NONE. Maybe Bill Gates or Warren Buffett would like to just ^&*&-off a couple million for fun. 'Bout the only way you're get any real money.

raistlinsdragon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly. What sponsor with the kind of $$$ that such a tour would take is going to get involved with pool? You're right: NONE. Maybe Bill Gates or Warren Buffett would like to just ^&*&-off a couple million for fun. 'Bout the only way you're get any real money.

Gates and Buffett put their money in playing bridge.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gates and Buffett put their money in playing bridge.
I hear ya. I just used their names as an example of someone with enuff $$$ to light a few million on fire staking a pool tour. Maybe get the weed growers and the Mexican cartel to up a few bucks. Now THOSE boys got ready/spare cash.;)

Last edited:

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then answer me this, why are people that currently own the Chinese 8 ball tables here in the US trying to dump them for lack of play? And by the way, you're numbers are fake news....LOL

Okay. Just google the figures if you think they're fake news, you'll find multiple sources. Regardless of that, there are other readily available figures which show the popularity of Chinese pool vs US pool. For starters, compare how many pool halls there are in the US vs China. Check out Billiards Congress of America and Chinese Billiards Association for the latest tally. Like it or not, China has 20 times more clubs than North America. 200,000 vs less than 10,000.

I get that Chinese 8 ball hasn't taken off in the US. But, you asked how pool players could become millionaires. In terms of the degree of participation, the speed the game is currently growing and current prize money (world masters up from $45k 2017 to $151k 2018), I think that's where millionaires are going to be coming from.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay. Just google the figures if you think they're fake news, you'll find multiple sources. Regardless of that, there are other readily available figures which show the popularity of Chinese pool vs US pool. For starters, compare how many pool halls there are in the US vs China. Check out Billiards Congress of America and Chinese Billiards Association for the latest tally. Like it or not, China has 20 times more clubs than North America. 200,000 vs less than 10,000.

I get that Chinese 8 ball hasn't taken off in the US. But, you asked how pool players could become millionaires. In terms of the degree of participation, the speed the game is currently growing and current prize money (world masters up from $45k 2017 to $151k 2018), I think that's where millionaires are going to be coming from.
Asia is definitely THE growth market for pool. Chinese 8ball will never be big in the States. Recreational players would try it and walk away. Too tough and too slow. I could see(faintly) some sort of world tour(9b-10b) with a couple US events but never a US-based big-time pool tour.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really like to hear Mr. Helfert's take here. Jay, you out there??

Last edited: