About to play first 14.1 game tonight

D Player

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello all,

Just thought I would introduce myself as a soon-to-be 14.1 player. I have committed to leave the ranks of the APA where I play 8ball and 9ball and join a local 14.1 league.

Anyway, tonight I'm supposed to shoot with another league member to have my speed assessed and handicap set. I have never played an actual 14.1 match before so this will be my first experience with live game strategy -- up until now, I have just banged balls around with little thought of defensive tactics or table control. It should be a BIG learning experience.

I will post my high run on the AZB high run thread tomorrow (assuming runs of less than 10 are not grounds for public forum flogging :D ). My short-term goal for my first 14.1 session is to complete a run of 30+.

Jeff

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
Jeff, good luck and enjoy! a bit different than team play, I am sure you will find your league exciting and a new experience that will intrigue you.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
D Player said:
Hello all,

Just thought I would introduce myself as a soon-to-be 14.1 player. I have committed to leave the ranks of the APA where I play 8ball and 9ball and join a local 14.1 league.

Anyway, tonight I'm supposed to shoot with another league member to have my speed assessed and handicap set. I have never played an actual 14.1 match before so this will be my first experience with live game strategy -- up until now, I have just banged balls around with little thought of defensive tactics or table control. It should be a BIG learning experience.

I will post my high run on the AZB high run thread tomorrow (assuming runs of less than 10 are not grounds for public forum flogging :D ). My short-term goal for my first 14.1 session is to complete a run of 30+.

Jeff

Well flogging or no flogging, if you achieve that goal we sure ain't gonna let you keep that D-player handle. Good luck and have fun! Where are you located?

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm so jealous!!

I love the game but can't really find anyone to play and there are no straight pool leagues where I live. Enjoy and good luck!

Preston

D Player

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Located in Maryland.

I think a goal of 30 is pretty ambitious for me (the handle is an appropriate measure of my speed), but I'm hopeful that my routine sacrifices to the pool gods and the power of probability will get me to the third rack at some point over the next 6 months!!

Seriously though, I'm looking forward to diving it and learning the game. This forum has already provided me a wealth of information (and dramatically reduced my productivity at the office), and I can't wait to start experimenting on the tables.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
D Player said:
Located in Maryland.

Seriously though, I'm looking forward to diving it and learning the game. This forum has already provided me a wealth of information (and dramatically reduced my productivity at the office), and I can't wait to start experimenting on the tables.

Good luck. if you get a chance take a peak at Phil Capelle's Play your best straight pool. Also the Rempe instructionals, How to run a rack and how to run 100. Should help you learn quicker.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
D Player said:
Hello all,

Just thought I would introduce myself as a soon-to-be 14.1 player. Jeff

Jeff,
My sincere condolences. You might just as well take up heroin at the same time (it's a bit less addictive).

I think you will find that it is a very challenging and stimulating game; and will CERTAINLY help you when you are playing the many other fun games on the green felt. Good luck.

D Player

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I appreciate all the encouragement and advice. I certainly will try to pick up the Capelle book and some Rempe materials when I get the chance (although I already have three other pool books in the queue to read).

Quick recap on my first experience....

It was more like a scrimmage than a match -- the guy I was playing was really cool and taught me the basic rules and scorekeeping. He even went so far as to show me some good safeties (which were ultimately to be used against him!!) which showed me a glimpse of what I hoped to find in a 14.1 league -- an environment where players help one another because they enjoy the game.

Anyway, I already knew my game needs a lot of work, but trying to clear racks and get position on the break ball highlighted those areas which are weakest -- my position play and my patterns. I was able to establish my high run at 17, although it seemed like it would be 6 or 7 after my first couple trips to the table.

In summation, as Don feared....I'm hooked.

VKJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good luck!!!

Your skill as a pool player in all other games will improve as you become a better and better 14.1 player. As long as you find you enjoy it and keep playing 14.1 the above prediction is a 100% sure thing.

This forum is a gold mine for anyone in your position.