Can jump shots damage the table or cloth?

gobrian77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm (finally) getting a table in a couple of weeks (provided my house is finished:confused: ), and I'm pretty concerned with keeping the table in good shape.

I'm covering it with Simonis 860, which isn't available locally so I have to order it from the States (and hire somebody from the factory to make the 450 mile trip from Bangkok to install it)- I'm concerned that jump shots might create "flat" spots that would hinder the balls from rolling true (I kinda doubt the 1" slate will crack or chip... right?;) ).

One reason I'm wondering about this is that I bought a Sardo Tight-Rack (before researching it) and potential cloth damage was an issue that was often brought up

I'm thinking about a "no jump shots" house rule, but I don't wanna take the aspect out of the game (I like to play 9-ball).

Am I worried over nothing? It's my first table (only an eight-footer but built to international competition specs and pretty darned expensive as the pickings were slim) and I wanna keep it in the best condition possible:cool:

Oddball

It's your break.
Silver Member
If you do it wrong, yes, you can rip the cloth. Better safe than sorry - especially if it's your own table and you paid a hefty sum for it. A little prevention may be inconvenient, but it goes a long way.

gobrian77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oddball said:
If you do it wrong, yes, you can rip the cloth. Better safe than sorry - especially if it's your own table and you paid a hefty sum for it. A little prevention may be inconvenient, but it goes a long way.

Yeah, no kidding- I didn't even consider the ripped cloth aspect- that would be bad.:eek:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I say let them jump! Not by scooping under the ball though!! The cloth will get marks on it, it is unavoidable and a consequence of use.

I would advise that you get a couple of pieces of cloth, 5cm x 5cm, to put under the cue ball when breaking. I have simoonis on my cloth and the visible leftovers of breaking far outnumber those of jumping...

Enjoy the table! It is great for laundry!!:D :eek: :rolleyes: :eek: ;)

gobrian77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not really marks that worry me- I know they're inevitable- it's flat spots.

Most of the tables on the island where I live are so warped and damaged it's depressing to play on them- it's no fun watching a ball suddenly turn left when it was headed for the pocket.;)

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jump shots are some of the most unreliable, low percentage shots I can think of; unless you're hosting Johnny Archer, Bustamonte, or the like, I wouldn't want anybody practicing jump shots with my equipment.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gobrian77 said:
It's not really marks that worry me- I know they're inevitable- it's flat spots.

Most of the tables on the island where I live are so warped and damaged it's depressing to play on them- it's no fun watching a ball suddenly turn left when it was headed for the pocket.;)

Not sure what you mean by 'flat spots'. The bed is slate- a rock- and the cloth is flat already...

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
Black-Balled said:
I say let them jump! Not by scooping under the ball though!! The cloth will get marks on it, it is unavoidable and a consequence of use.

I would advise that you get a couple of pieces of cloth, 5cm x 5cm, to put under the cue ball when breaking. I have simoonis on my cloth and the visible leftovers of breaking far outnumber those of jumping...

Enjoy the table! It is great for laundry!!:D :eek: :rolleyes: :eek: ;)

doesnt the extra cloth high make the ball jump on the break?
maybe u preserve the cloth , but u will be breaking windows, and i dont want 7y of bad luck on my *** :eek:

gobrian77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Black-Balled said:
Not sure what you mean by 'flat spots'. The bed is slate- a rock- and the cloth is flat already...

It's quite possible that I may be concerned out of ignorance- I'm basing the question on what I've read re: the Sardo Tight Rack- it's supposed to "train" your cloth by creating areas where the balls can bed into the cloth- to me that means that the cloth flattens or indents (perhaps imperceptibly so) to seat the balls- jump shots would land very solid and (I guess) could do the same thing.

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member
IMHO, use a basic, old-school rack....they work best...

Also, make sure and put a spot to protect the cloth where the head ball is on the break....

Also, the no jump rule sounds like a good one....it will save the cloth, avoid scooping by newbs, and improve your kicking...

Congrats on the table...

S

Snoogi

gobrian77 said:
I'm (finally) getting a table in a couple of weeks (provided my house is finished:confused: ), and I'm pretty concerned with keeping the table in good shape.

I'm covering it with Simonis 860, which isn't available locally so I have to order it from the States (and hire somebody from the factory to make the 450 mile trip from Bangkok to install it)- I'm concerned that jump shots might create "flat" spots that would hinder the balls from rolling true (I kinda doubt the 1" slate will crack or chip... right?;) ).

One reason I'm wondering about this is that I bought a Sardo Tight-Rack (before researching it) and potential cloth damage was an issue that was often brought up

I'm thinking about a "no jump shots" house rule, but I don't wanna take the aspect out of the game (I like to play 9-ball).

Am I worried over nothing? It's my first table (only an eight-footer but built to international competition specs and pretty darned expensive as the pickings were slim) and I wanna keep it in the best condition possible:cool:
You bet, the first two spots to see the slab are the break and apex spots. Just that we don't always jump on the exact spots, or else we'll see the slabs faster. House rule is good but most people will get turned off not being allowed to jump or masse. Depends on how you wanna weigh it.

brechbt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gobrian77 said:

Two things I've learned about this on my table:

1) jumping does compress the cloth. In practicing jumping, I always use a small scrap of table cloth under the cue ball. That scrap is now noticeably compressed in the middle.

2) the quality of your cue ball makes a big difference in the spots or burn marks you get on the cloth. The cue ball I got with the balls that came with my table was cheap, and caused many burn marks. When I switched to a good quality Saluc cue ball the burn marks stopped happening almost entirely.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Number one, forget the Sardo Rack. You don't want it or need it, especially for a home table. Put it on eBay. Use a good wood or fiber triangle. They work just fine for your purposes.

I would only allow highly skilled players to shoot jump shots on your table. Ones who know how to properly execute them. Even worse than the damage the cue ball can do, is the potential damge that an errant cue stick can do to the cloth and even the slate. Slate can be chipped, sorry to have to tell you this.

Enough said. Now it's up to you. Oh, and you don't need the little piece of cloth on the table for break shots. You won't be breaking nearly as much as in a poolroom. A few superficial battle scars on the cloth after several months (or years), will actually look cool. And it won't affect the way the table plays.

Have fun!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
... Use a good wood or fiber triangle. They work just fine for your purposes. ...
What he said. But be aware that most of what is sold in billiard supply stores is junk. The plastic ones are so flimsy that the sides bulge out or curve in. The wood ones are barely glued, and the corners often don't have a small enough radius so it is impossible to get the front three balls tight. It is worth it to shop around and get a good one. Ask if you can try it in the store.

S

Snoogi

Bob Jewett said:
What he said. But be aware that most of what is sold in billiard supply stores is junk. The plastic ones are so flimsy that the sides bulge out or curve in. The wood ones are barely glued, and the corners often don't have a small enough radius so it is impossible to get the front three balls tight. It is worth it to shop around and get a good one. Ask if you can try it in the store.
There's the thicker one 1cm thick all round and the three rounded corners 2.5cm thick, very strong. But I'm not sure if they're available in the states.

third_i

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't worry soo much about jump shots as masse shots. Personally, I come from the school that you buy a table or a cue to use it, so use it. I'd only let people at a certain level, that have a certain respect for my stuff to jump or masse on my table.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that you do as much if not more potential damage to the slate bed with the cue ball landing on the bed as it does taking off from it.

gobrian77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, everyone- this was definitely the info I needed.:)

I should have mentioned that I'm on a small island quite far from any sort of decent equipment or repair people- if I lived in the States I would have no problem allowing jump shots (I wouldn't be thrilled with any damage, but at least getting it fixed wouldn't be a huge production).

Hehe- I bought that Sardo Tight Rack as I love watching the 9-Ball World Championships (full coverage from the first round here- we get to see the lucky nobodies who made it in by the skin of their teeth play Reyes, Pagulayan, and Strickland) and that's what they use.;)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
3andstop said:
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that you do as much if not more potential damage to the slate bed with the cue ball landing on the bed as it does taking off from it.

Correct. Every time I see someone drop a rack of balls on the table I cringe.

John Barton

From one with more experience doing jump shots than I want to remember. :)

Jump shots do create flat spots that can be mostly brushed out. I used to use my own table for jump exhibitions and by the end of the day the cloth looked ten years old after 1000's of jump shots - however after 30 minutes of cleaning the cloth only looked a year old :)) Not bad for the amount of shots done on it.

On my table in the shop we just play and experiment very little and the jump spots are barely noticeable.

I would not let rank beginners attempt to jump shots or masse' shots on your table. Unless YOU know that THEY know what they are doing I wouldn't allow it unsupervised. Just like a masse' a jump shot is a shot that requires a certain skill set that must be practiced. For those that can do it then let them.

I have had people with no clue and no training rip my cloth trying stuff that was way outside their skill level. Once trained they were generally good to go but left to their own devices they were a danger to the cloth.

I disagree with Jay about slate getting chipped from bouncing balls. I tried my hardest - almost killing myself in the process - to make a ball damage the slate. I had to know what exactly bouncing balls do or don't do to cloth and slate in order to sell jump cues to room owners. With the normal force exerted on pool balls in order to make them jump I don't see any possible way that a ball could damage a healthy piece of slate.

I suppose that IF the ball landed on a piece of slate the had a fracture or a pre-existing chip then it could cause further damage but even that I doubt because of the cushion that the cloth provides.

If it were me then I would allow jump shots performed by the people I know are skilled enough for them. For practicing I would use a spare piece of cloth and vary the areas of the table you practice in. The nap will come back from the flat spots but NOT if they are beaten beyond the point that the fibers can recover. For occasional random jump shots just keep the table clean and wipe it down with a damp cloth and you won't notice or care about the spots.

Jumpin' Johnny B.

Last edited: