Burton Spain Joint

HaroldWilson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quick question,

Does anyone know what Spain used as a material in the butt joint for this cue?

Is it just a phenolic material that he has tapped a thread straight into? If so would this hold up over time?

I am looking at using the same design with a 5/16x18 pin inserted into the shaft for a snooker cue.

Cheers

Attachments

• spain1.jpg
    spain1.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 555

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Quick question,

Does anyone know what Spain used as a material in the butt joint for this cue?

Is it just a phenolic material that he has tapped a thread straight into? If so would this hold up over time?

I am looking at using the same design with a 5/16x18 pin inserted into the shaft for a snooker cue.

Cheers

That's a Delrin joint. Not one of his better ideas, IMO.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That one is delrin.. He did a lot of delrin joints. He even sleeved stainless over delrin in some cue joints. The delrin joint worked just like stainless not having a finish making it easier to hold size and match shafts to it. It also gave his cues a different hit than everyone elses.

HaroldWilson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for your replies, it is interesting that the thread have continued holding up over time as i would have thought they may have stripped..

On a similar note what material is used for the shaft inserts for the larger pinned cues? For example, the Tad and Southwest shaft inserts? is that a type of phenolic or has the thread been tapped directly into the wood and then soaked in a glue to make it stronger?

Attachments

• 981a44fe6af304dbb5eb54291131ba2d.jpg
    981a44fe6af304dbb5eb54291131ba2d.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 430
  • ob1sws.jpg
    ob1sws.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 418

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Thank you for your replies, it is interesting that the thread have continued holding up over time as i would have thought they may have stripped..

On a similar note what material is used for the shaft inserts for the larger pinned cues? For example, the Tad and Southwest shaft inserts? is that a type of phenolic or has the thread been tapped directly into the wood and then soaked in a glue to make it stronger?

The thread is coarse enough that you don't need to soak them in glue, and they don't. The shininess is just from metal pins burnishing the wood

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

For those with an insert for the larger pin most are phenolic but some are nylon.

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That one is delrin.. He did a lot of delrin joints. He even sleeved stainless over delrin in some cue joints. The delrin joint worked just like stainless not having a finish making it easier to hold size and match shafts to it. It also gave his cues a different hit than everyone elses.

Just out of curiosity (as I have never actually had an opportunity to examine any of his delrin jointed cues,) how is the actual joint secured to the forearm considering all of the glue problems with delrin? Is it just a mechanical bond similar to a delrin butt cap and if so, how does it manage to stay THAT true to the wood face after so much time?

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just out of curiosity (as I have never actually had an opportunity to examine any of his delrin jointed cues,) how is the actual joint secured to the forearm considering all of the glue problems with delrin? Is it just a mechanical bond similar to a delrin butt cap and if so, how does it manage to stay THAT true to the wood face after so much time?

I have never seen one of Burton's joints come loose so I have never seen how he connected it. I am assuming it is threaded but I am unsure.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hercek took over his business,trained with Burton for some time
He should know

Joel Hercek