Tips for the Pool Forum Addict. Mine and your tips

christopheradam

Christopher Adams
Silver Member
Post some tips to help the Pool forum, video, web sites, and other addict. I found a few that are helpful. What are yours?
1. Don't leave the forum website open on your computer. Close it out when you are done checking or posting for the day. It makes it only slightly harder to open the web site and navigate to the forum section but it does help slightly.

2. Try to only check or post once per day and a few times on days off of work

3. Copy and paste to save time.

4. Plan ahead of time what you will post and stick to that. Don't read posts and get ideas and post things on that. Save that for another day.

5. Set a limit on time you will browse Pool related things online for the day. 1/2 hour, 1 hour or whatever. Stick to it.

6. Set limit to how many posts you would want to post for the day.

7. Shut down computer when your time allotment of pool browsing is done for the day.

These are some things I've found that might help or have helped. I basically just close everything out and don't use the computer when i'm done for the day. I do find myself saying, "I'll just go check my email and check out the forums real quick" and then a half hour later I wonder why I don't have any time left :). So I am working on it. Any help from others would be appreciated and hope some people find my basic tips useful.

Rude Dog

<---Dumb and Dumber
christopheradam said:
Post some tips to help the Pool forum, video, web sites, and other addict. I found a few that are helpful. What are yours?
1. Don't leave the forum website open on your computer. Close it out when you are done checking or posting for the day. It makes it only slightly harder to open the web site and navigate to the forum section but it does help slightly.

2. Try to only check or post once per day and a few times on days off of work

3. Copy and paste to save time.

4. Plan ahead of time what you will post and stick to that. Don't read posts and get ideas and post things on that. Save that for another day.

5. Set a limit on time you will browse Pool related things online for the day. 1/2 hour, 1 hour or whatever. Stick to it.

6. Set limit to how many posts you would want to post for the day.

7. Shut down computer when your time allotment of pool browsing is done for the day.

These are some things I've found that might help or have helped. I basically just close everything out and don't use the computer when i'm done for the day. I do find myself saying, "I'll just go check my email and check out the forums real quick" and then a half hour later I wonder why I don't have any time left :). So I am working on it. Any help from others would be appreciated and hope some people find my basic tips useful.
I'm not sure what you're trying to help with. I check the forum sometimes 20 or 30 times a day, I never saw a problem with it. What the heck is the problem anyway? I'm not trying to be a smartass here either, just not clear on what your post means. Peace, John.

Rude Dog said:
I'm not sure what you're trying to help with. I check the forum sometimes 20 or 30 times a day, I never saw a problem with it. What the heck is the problem anyway? I'm not trying to be a smartass here either, just not clear on what your post means. Peace, John.

What do you mean you're not trying to be a smartass? You're ALWAYS a smartass, a wiseguy, and a troublemaker. Look what the hell you did to turquoisecrazy you whacko...you got him kicked off!!

Oh shit...I'm sorry and truly apologize. I thought this was the flame war thread. My mistake.... :D

X Breaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think he is referring to some people who spend many hours on the forum to the point that their works/lives are affected. He is trying to give pointers to those people on how to control their impluse to always go and check the forum. He is just trying to be helpful here.

By the way, is turquoisecrazy kicked out? It is too bad. May he rest in peace...

Richard

Rude Dog

<---Dumb and Dumber
drivermaker said:
What do you mean you're not trying to be a smartass? You're ALWAYS a smartass, a wiseguy, and a troublemaker. Look what the hell you did to turquoisecrazy you whacko...you got him kicked off!!

Oh shit...I'm sorry and truly apologize. I thought this was the flame war thread. My mistake.... :D
LMAO, me? A smartass? Nah, you got the wrong guy here buddy. Did he get kicked off though? I got juice huh? That's a lesson everyone, don't **** with the Dog! :D Peace DM, John.

X Breaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A bit off topic here, I am sorry. I am just wondering how can we find out for sure that someone was banned? How can we tell if someone did not just quit on his own? Is there a list or an anouncement or something?
Thank you.

Richard

landshark77

------blank------
Silver Member
nipponbilliards said:
A bit off topic here, I am sorry. I am just wondering how can we find out for sure that someone was banned? How can we tell if someone did not just quit on his own? Is there a list or an anouncement or something?
Thank you.

Richard

Richard,

I made a post a few days ago about post that I could not see. These posts were namely from User69 and Committeemember. They showed that they were the last posters in the thread but when you clicked on the thread their post was not there. If you were to click on their name to see their previous posts then you would get an error page. If you just stop posting you will still be on the members list and your past post would still be there...if you didn't delete them...Gremlin, LOL! I noticed that this was happening to Turq also. My question is why are these banned members still allowed to show up on the online users list???

BTW...I think it sucks when I get lectured about message boards not only at home, but on the message board itself. :mad:

X Breaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
landshark77 said:
Richard,

I made a post a few days ago about post that I could not see. These posts were namely from User69 and Committeemember. They showed that they were the last posters in the thread but when you clicked on the thread their post was not there. If you were to click on their name to see their previous posts then you would get an error page. If you just stop posting you will still be on the members list and your past post would still be there...if you didn't delete them...Gremlin, LOL! I noticed that this was happening to Turq also. My question is why are these banned members still allowed to show up on the online users list???

BTW...I think it sucks when I get lectured about message boards not only at home, but on the message board itself. :mad:

Thank you Landshark. I actually like Turquoisecrazy. It makes me wonder what he must have done... :confused: Is there any warning from the moderator beforehand? Well, I sure do not want to find it out through first hand experience..

Anyway, it is not my style to get involved in this type of business. Thank you for the clarification.

May them all rest in peace... :(

By the way, I find that I have been on this forum more and more often and I am starting to worry if this has become an addiction... ;)

Regards,
Richard

cantiques

Registered
The Four Strokes of Pool

The Four Strokes of Pool

By The Monk

I have received many letters and I am shocked by how many players do not know the four strokes of pool. You can read all about the four strokes of pool in The Lesson. You must master the four strokes of pool because the stroke determines the track line. You must master the four strokes of pool because the stroke determines the speed of the cue ball. You must master the four strokes before you can master cue ball speed or position play. If you skip the four strokes of pool, you will be plagued and condemned to an inconsistent game. One day you're up and one day you're down. If you are an inconsistent player you need to master the four strokes of pool. You should order The Lesson and begin to put your game together. When it comes to your game, "do it right."

1. The punch stroke. This is by far the most popular stroke in pool. Willie Mosconie used it over eighty per cent of the time. It gives you natural speed and natural track lines. To master this stroke, line up a shot straight in the side pocket. The cue ball should be a couple of feet away. Deliver a "pop" sound with one sixteenth below center. If the cue ball stops dead in its tracks, you have discovered your punch stroke. What ever it takes to stop the cue ball dead, is a punch stroke. If the cue ball drifts back towards you, you have added a little draw into your punch stroke. If the cue ball drifts forward you have allowed a little follow in your punch stroke. You must stop the cue ball dead. Pay attention to that sound. Pay attention to how it feels. You will want to master this stroke.

The Punch gives you natural track lines. In The Lesson book I give you a series of shots you can use to begin to develop cue ball speed and cue ball control. If you do not possess a good solid reliable punch stroke, you will never find the consistency you seek. The Punch stroke, don't leave home with out it.

2. The follow stroke. Many of us shoot high on the cue ball and call it a follow stroke. The essence of any stroke is in how you deliver the cue tip to the cue ball. I want you to set up a shot straight in the side pocket. The cue ball should be a couple of feet from the object ball. Place your cue tip one-sixteenth below center. Deliver a follow stroke and make the cue ball follow the object ball! There is only one way you will see the cue ball follow the object ball and that is if you deliver a fine follow stroke. Flow through the cue ball. Your shooting hand should almost be limp. Float through and allow the cue ball to roll towards its target. I can make the cue ball follow the object ball with one half cue tip below center!

A follow stroke is vital to your game. There are many ways to use a follow stroke to gain favorable position and control the cue ball. I illustrate many of them in The Lesson. If you are ever to become a consistent player you must master the four strokes of pool. In my workshops and clinics I show players that there is only one stroke that will get them position on certain balls. If you know the strokes you know how to play pool. If you do not have a copy of The Lesson, do yourself a favor. Order it now. Muellars offers you a discount. I give you a personal guarantee. If the book does not help you, I will refund your money.

3. The Spin Stroke. Very few teachers take the time to teach this vital stroke. The old masters used it in straight pool. There are times in a match that the spin stroke is the difference between winning and losing. I want you to have it. The Spin Stroke is a great tool to measure speed of the cue ball off one or more rails. It is also a way to widen the natural track line off the rail. I could write volumes about this fantastic stroke.

The spin stroke is a close cousin to the punch stroke. Set up on the spot and sight straight down to the center diamond (7) on the bottom rail. Use center right and "pop" the ball so it is spinning on its way down table. You should be able to control the spin so you can scratch in the right corner pocket near you. You should be able to control the cue ball so you can hit the number two diamond on the right side of the table. You should be able to control the cue ball so you can hit the right side pocket. With a great spin stroke, you will be able to control where the cue ball is going. You will develop an instinct with this wonderful stroke.

I use the spin stroke to control the speed and control the track line of the cue ball. I use the spin stroke when I am kicking balls. I use the spin stroke when I want to throw an object ball. If you mix up the strokes, you will miss your shot. You must master the four strokes of pool before you consider speed and position play.

4. The draw strokes. I give this a plural because there are more than one draw stroke. It is not enough to simply pull the cue ball back towards you with a sharp jabbing motion. The draw stroke is the most abused stroke in pocket billiards today. In The Lesson I devote twelve pages to this great stroke. There are four draw strokes.
1. The follow through draw
2. The snap back draw.
3. The bounce back draw
4. The snip draw.
If you use the wrong draw stroke you will not get positive results and you will have no control of the cue ball. You must master each draw stroke and know when to use them. The draw strokes calls for a snap delivery. You must push the cue tip through the cue ball faster than the cue ball leaves the tip. In other words, the tip is almost all the way through the cue ball before the cue ball takes off. Since the cue tip is faster than the cue ball, the cue ball will immediately spin backwards. This causes the cue ball to come back to you.

With the follow through draw, the cue tip is not spinning backwards until it has traveled a few feet. Your tip pushes through in a follow through motion. When the cue ball contacts the object ball, it will slide away and then begin to come back. This is an important stroke to use when you want to control the position the cue ball will end.

The snap back is dramatic. You snap through the cue ball in a quick jab. The cue ball will immediately pick up spin and come right back at you. You will tighten up the line it returns on. In The Lesson I show you how to get the cue ball to two separate places on the table off the same shot simply by changing one draw stroke for another.

The snip draw is the most popular draw strokes. You shoot down on the cue ball. The main purpose of the snip draw is not so much to draw the cue ball back to you but to kill the cue ball and throw the object ball. In the "touch no rail" exercise you will not succeed if you do not command the snip draw. This is a vital stroke. You use right or left and snip the cue ball.

The bounce back draw. This is really a "stun" backwards. You are not trying to spin the cue ball back. You are trying to bounce it back from the object ball. There are times in a game when your command of this stroke is the difference between winning and losing.

The draw stroke calls for you to dramatically snap the cue tip through the cue ball. When you do that, this stroke imparts spin on the cue ball. Once you get the cue ball coming back to you with this stroke, try the same stroke with one cue tip above center. Deliver your finest draw stroke and you will see what a force follow is. The force follow is really a draw stroke. The stroke determines the track line. The stroke determines the cue ball speed. The cue tip location has nothing to do with what stroke you are using.

If you want to be a consistent player you must possess the four strokes of pool. There are times when you mix them up. A shot may call for a little follow and a lot of punch. Or punch force follow. Begin your training now. The second stage of pocket billiards is the four strokes of pool. Master them. You can do it. It is time for you to "do it right".

cantiques

Registered
tips

Positive Adjustments = The next time you are out of line in your
position play, don't panic or get down on yourself. Look for
something positive in the situation by checking out your options.
Even the best professionals get out of line and learning to accept
this fact adjust your game plan by seeking the best positive result
will turn many games in your favor. "*

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Rude Dog said:
That's a lesson everyone, don't **** with the Dog!

Usually the dogs have it the other way around. I dont know what it is you all got with legs....

cantiques

Registered
tips

Kick Softly ==- When hooked and having to kick at a ball, many
players often kick with too much speed which results in their
opponent having an open shot even after their good hit on the kick.
When you are faced with a kick shot, take time to consider if a soft
hit on your kick will have a better chance of producing a safety. "

cantiques

Registered
tips

Strategy -=Think STRATEGY! In the games of 8-Ball & 9-Ball, it is
the player that makes those "title" balls that wins. Be sure you have
a good opportunity to run all the way to the winnng ball for the
victory, or at least a good safety opportunity, before committing
yourself to a run of all the balls. You don't want to just make the
game easier for your opponent. "

cantiques said:
Strategy -=Think STRATEGY! In the games of 8-Ball & 9-Ball, it is
the player that makes those "title" balls that wins. Be sure you have
a good opportunity to run all the way to the winnng ball for the
victory, or at least a good safety opportunity, before committing
yourself to a run of all the balls. You don't want to just make the
game easier for your opponent. "

SHUT THE FUCK UP

Attachments

• Paul_Mottey_snakewood.jpg
    Paul_Mottey_snakewood.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 14
Rude Dog said:
LMAO, me? A smartass? Nah, you got the wrong guy here buddy. Did he get kicked off though? I got juice huh? That's a lesson everyone, don't **** with the Dog! :D Peace DM, John.

There's nothing under his name that says "banned" like it was done before when someone got the boot. It still says registered user. But his name keeps showing up on various threads as the last one to post, but none of his posts show up and have for a few days now. Mike must have some new gizmo attached to his setup that just deletes all of his posts. It does seem like a new name has surfaced that's suddenly now quoting exerpts from various books on shooting and playing techniques. I guess no one can get pissed at that since it's what a lot of members need and come here for.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Rude said:
... don't **** with the Dog! :D Peace DM, John.

That's what the original poster is saying !

And nice work otherwise ... notice that 'it' was is trying to post this morning ?

Dave