Joss Cues, Great Experience

metal5d

Pool Player
Silver Member
I recently got a new Joss Cue and I wanted to get the shaft retapered so I emailed Dan Janes. He told me come by his shop and he would take care of it for me. So I drove to Towson yesterday with my brother and met Dan at the Joss shop. He retapered my shaft and replaced the tip for me while I waited. Before he went to the back he handed my brother and I some cues and said why don't you shoot on the table in the lobby (a very nice old brunswick table). He finished my shaft pretty quickly and the he spent almost an hour talking about cues and showing us some custom cues he was working on. He explained a lot about how he makes his cues and why he does things a certain way. He even gave us a couple t-shirts. I have a new found respect for Joss Cues and Dan Janes.

NewGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a cool story. Out of curiosity, what did you get your shaft retapered to? I have a Joss shaft that I just sent in to get re-done. I went with 13mm and a pro taper. I don't understand why Joss makes their shafts 13.25mm with a funky taper.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I talked to Danny last year about my cue (I love it), he said the thicker the taper, the less chance of warpedge (or that's what I thought he told me).

I got the color of money cue:D , had it sent to Mike Webb (great guy, and awesome cue maker) for a Predator shaft, and I was and am still totally satisfide with the experience.

Also Danny shot the poop with me for well over an hour after I had ordered my cue on a Friday afternoon, after 5 PM eastern:cool: . He's a great person, and I would say by Joss for a production model, you won't go wrong...

Pete

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
NewGuy said:
That's a cool story. Out of curiosity, what did you get your shaft retapered to? I have a Joss shaft that I just sent in to get re-done. I went with 13mm and a pro taper. I don't understand why Joss makes their shafts 13.25mm with a funky taper.

It allows them the liberty to turn down your shaft. As Dan told me, "we can take off the wood, but it's pretty tough to put it back on."

Fred

metal5d

Pool Player
Silver Member
NewGuy said:

I got it tapered down to 13 with a taper in between their standard one and a pro taper (I had another shaft that he matched it up to). Dan also told me that he leaves them at 13.25 so people can take them down to whatever they like, you can always take away wood but you can't add it. A lot of people like Joss shafts at the larger diameter, I found I get a little more feel with a thinner shaft.

billfishhead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
great story,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,wish i could get better service over the phone,,,,,,,,,,,,,,could in the past

metal5d

Pool Player
Silver Member
billfishhead said:
great story,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,wish i could get better service over the phone,,,,,,,,,,,,,,could in the past

You might try talking directly to Dan. The ladies in the front office were very courteous but I think Dan is more passionate about his work and tries hard to please his customers. He also answered his emails within a day of them being sent.

accdealer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what a nice story.

its always nice to be given the vip treatment by a cuemaker, especially when their not just trying to blow you so that you buy a cue.

fyi-Famed cuemaker Bill Schick does the same thing with the shafts. They come from him very fat and more or less untapered to allow the end user the choice of how they want their shaft to be.

I bought a Billy Schick a few years ago and was very disappointed when I found out that I couldn't make a ball with it. After talking to Barry Szamboti, he enlightened me to what Bill does with his shafts. One trip to Scot Sherbine and I had a 10" pro taper on the shaft. For the next 6 months I played the best pool of my life with that cue until I retired it to play with my Gus Szamboti. I was under the illusion that I was playing better with the Szamboti, so as financial difficulties arised, I sold the Schick. Biggest mistake I ever made.

billfishhead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i used to talk to Dan and even e-mailed him,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,now I dont get him and even his e-mails are answered by one of the girls,,,,,thx

woodyosborne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
joss cues! nothing but high regards from me!

i have been shooting with mostly ss jointed cues for years. i have a plain jane joss and a real old ivory jointed joss 4 pointer, a schon, 2 espiritus,a heubler, a doc fry and i don't know what all else.

i have always thought very highly of joss cues and recommended them or a schon when asked. sadly a young guy was going to get a $500 cue and got a $500 plastic jointed cue (won't give the name casually- just think he would have gotten a better value with a joss or schon). great cues imo

billfishhead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
btw, i have better luck getting ahold of Bill Stroud

i do have nice cues and would like to get them worked on, however i cant get in touch with the right person

my joss is late 60s or early 70s with an ivory joint from what Rick Howard said,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,3/8-10 pin flat faced