Efren & the San Miguel tour

kano

Unbelievable!!!!!
Silver Member
I'm here in korea,

The first leg of the San Miguel Asian 9 Ball Tour just finished this Sunday.
Efren looked scary! He was completely dominant in all of his tv matches. He was so dominant in the final against some guy named Li (lie not lee) from China, that he started riding the 9 ball atempting this one crazy two rail backward cut kick on the 1 ball that alomost sank the hanging nine in the corner pocket down table. He was laughing at all his misses, he never really looked concerned in any of his matches. He played Bustamante and ran his good friend over with seemingly little effort. His first match was 9-0 against some Thai guy.

This leg was in Ho Chi Minh and the usually strong Taiwanese players got rolled. I almost fell out of my seat when I saw Wu Chia Ching play on Friday. If you haven't seen him yet you are going to be shocked. The dude lost a ton of weight. And he played horribly. He got toasted 9 -2. I have never seen him play that bad. I guess everybody has bad days. Yang Ching Shun still has serious issues with his break scratching and flying off the table pretty regularly. I never saw Chao on tv. They showed a lot of Vietnamese players. I like that. It's good for the game to grow in that country. One of their guys even made it to the quarters.

No matter how much I watch him play, Efren always seems to show me something new. The crowd kept oooh-ing and aaah-ing constantly. He made everything look so effortless. And when he did get out of shape he calmly recoverd and still ran out. Again and again and again! He made everything from everywhere. Peculiar close cuts, long banks, kicks, short rack combos and he made it all look easy. His break was strong and he consistantly killed the cue in the patch. I have a feeling the rest of the players on the tour are probably shaking their heads 'cause if Efren is going to play like this on the next three stops he can will all of them. And more importatnly if he keeps playing like this all the way into Worlds which is in Manila this year, then surely he's going to take all the marbles! Especially in his back yard. When the man finaly does slow down and retire I foresee them renaming the tour after him. It's not out of the question. I got all three days on tape and will be hitting the rewind button a lot.

Another interesting side note: Efren, Fransisco, and Alex all trotted out brand new Predator BK 2 Break Cues every time they were on tv. My guess is that Marlon had one too! Some Predator guy must have been handing them out to the Filipinos like Christmas Cards. Efren used his Black and Ivory Judd the whole time. I never saw the Japanese one he has been sporting recently and at DCC. Check out that link you can see Efren hit balls in the Philippines with that cue. I believe it's the first time he ever used it. Can anyone tell me who makes it? It's sold on that Japanese website.

I wish the tour would stop in Korea for once. But don't see that happening any time soon. 3 Cushion is king here. Pool or "Pocket Ball" as they call it here is seen as a girls game but more importantly it's seen as a threat to 3 cushion popularity. Charlie Williams hopes to single handedly change that. I give him credit! At least he's trying. One thing that's funny to me is that I have never seen the tour stop in Japan. Pool is large there!

Finaly: someone posted that they have a lot of WPC pool on HD but I forgot which AZB'r that was. Send me a message!

Aloha!

Last edited:

sniper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Am I the only one who thinks they should rename this tour after Efren? It has all the top players from Asia in it and he seems to win more than half of the stops:eek:

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the report Kano!

Sounds like Efren is going to pretty strong on the IPT this year...his magic new eyes must be working a charm.

I just wonder how long it will take until the IPT starts having a bigger influence in Japan, Taiwan and Korea. Japan has a qualifier and a few japanese travelled to US qualifiers earlier.

btw: I heard that the main reason for the APBU threat against Asian players playing in un-sanctioned events was spurned by the activities of Dragon promotions in Korea which is upsetting the applecart there, and not the IPT.

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
Colin Colenso said:
Thanks for the report Kano!

Sounds like Efren is going to pretty strong on the IPT this year...his magic new eyes must be working a charm.

I just wonder how long it will take until the IPT starts having a bigger influence in Japan, Taiwan and Korea. Japan has a qualifier and a few japanese travelled to US qualifiers earlier.

btw: I heard that the main reason for the APBU threat against Asian players playing in un-sanctioned events was spurned by the activities of Dragon promotions in Korea which is upsetting the applecart there, and not the IPT.

There was a LOT of japanese Pro's in the event when I played in Korea and I beleive there was even more at the recent tournament. I think Charlie has done well to take advantage of his Korean background and spot an opening. He holds quite a number of events there now, has a TV deal and even takes his US based payers over there several times a year. Lets face it if you lived in Asia you would want to play in as many events as possible, there are a few but you wouldnt last long on the San Miguel alone! When we gonna do that China tour Colin? :D

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
You hear so much hyperbole about Efren on this site that it's hard to keep perspective about exactly what kind of player the human Efren (as opposed to the legend of Efren) really is. I often find myself laughing at some of the stuff said about him: he's one of the top 5 3C players in the world (despite not having any documented tournament victories over any of the remotely top players), he beat Garry Kasparov in a race to 3 chess match, and he gave Ronnie O'Sullivan 30 points per frame in a snooker set and robbed him on a tight 12' table (okay I've actually never heard that last one, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear someone say it on this board as if it were the gospel truth).

But the fact that he seems to only be getting MORE dominant at the ripe old age of 51, even in 9-ball, which many refer to as his "worst game" (I guess compared to 1-pocket, 8-ball, and rotation), it just makes me wonder what this guy can't do. It's as if he's determined to silence all arguments against him being the greatest pool player ever.

-Andrew

kano

Unbelievable!!!!!
Silver Member
IPT in Asia

Hey Colin,

If you didn't notice yet, take a look at the IPT schedule of events. If you notice they intend to add more and more events in the coming years. If you scroll down to 2008 you will notice a bunch to be held in Asia. If all goes well and Mr. Money Bags Trudeau stays the course then they hope to have the following:

Tournament 5 IPT Japan 8-Ball Open Championship

Prize Money: $2,050,000

Players: 200 (150 Tour Members, 50 Qualifiers)

Dates: TBA

Tournament 6 IPT Taiwan 8-Ball Open Championship

Tournament 7 IPT Korean 8-Ball Open Championship

Tournament 8 IPT Asian 8-Ball Open Championship

Also when I say IPT here to my pool buddies a lot of them still look at me funny.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TheOne said:
There was a LOT of japanese Pro's in the event when I played in Korea and I beleive there was even more at the recent tournament. I think Charlie has done well to take advantage of his Korean background and spot an opening. He holds quite a number of events there now, has a TV deal and even takes his US based payers over there several times a year. Lets face it if you lived in Asia you would want to play in as many events as possible, there are a few but you wouldnt last long on the San Miguel alone! When we gonna do that China tour Colin? :D
As soon as a sponsor wants to throw a couple of million RMB at me we'll have a good tour in China:D

My guess is the Korean and Taiwan association are the least keen about Charlie doing his own things in Korea....but I don't know much about it...just heard an insider rumor.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
kano said:
Hey Colin,

If you didn't notice yet, take a look at the IPT schedule of events. If you notice they intend to add more and more events in the coming years. If you scroll down to 2008 you will notice a bunch to be held in Asia. If all goes well and Mr. Money Bags Trudeau stays the course then they hope to have the following:

Tournament 5 IPT Japan 8-Ball Open Championship

Tournament 6 IPT Taiwan 8-Ball Open Championship

Tournament 7 IPT Korean 8-Ball Open Championship

Tournament 8 IPT Asian 8-Ball Open Championship

Also when I say IPT here to my pool buddies a lot of them still look at me funny.
Hi Kano,
Yes I noticed the scheduling for future years and would love to see that happen.

Unfortunately Korea and Taiwan have not signed on yet for any North America qualifiers so there is still some waiting going on it seems. Japan has one, and I'm organizing one in Shanghai, China June 16-18.

I was hoping a few Koreans might come over for my qualifier. Hope you can let a few of them know about it.
Colin

kano

Unbelievable!!!!!
Silver Member
Colin,

It makes sense that there hasn't been much interest from Korea and Taiwan. More so Korea. I see 8 ball played in the pool halls here but by bangers, and guys out with thier girlfriends killing time. I have never seen a serious game outside of our league. I'm sure the real players can play the game. Actually the strongest player in our league is Korean. But there isn't that much interest in 8 ball. Pool is still very young here. I have never been to Taipei but my guess is that they are 9 ball crazy!

All of this will change if everyone keeps hearing and or seeing people like Efren winning these insane amounts of money as the IPT tournaments go on.

I casually know some of the Korean pros like Young Hwa Jeong so i'll mention it. At least they have an option if nothing pans out here. I wonder how much it is to fly to Shanghai from Seoul these days? I was down in your city back in 2000 on a China tour, had a blast, I always wanted to go back. I'll try and look you up if I do and be sure to bring my cue.

Last edited:

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
kano said:
Colin,

It makes sense that there hasn't been much interest from Korea and Taiwan. More so Korea. I see 8 ball played in the pool halls here but by bangers, and guys out with thier girlfriends killing time. I have never seen a serious game outside of our league. I'm sure the real players can play the game. Actually the strongest player in our league is Korean. But there isn't that much interest in 8 ball. Pool is still very young here. I have never been to Taipei but my guess is that they are 9 ball crazy!

All of this will change if everyone keeps hearing and or seeing people like Efren winning these insane amounts of money as the IPT tournaments go on.

I casually know some of the Korean pros like Young Hwa Jeong so i'll mention it. At least they have an option if nothing pans out here. I wonder how much it is to fly to Shanghai from Seoul these days? I was down in your city back in 2000 on a China tour, had a blast, I always wanted to go back. I'll try and look you up if I do and be sure to bring my cue.
Kano,
Sure, let me know if you come to Shanghai again. Usually easy to reach me here or on via my websites listed below in my signature.

Colin

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Apparently Efren's win was due to luck once more which he readily admits time after time. Here is the quote

" I am just lucky because the ball is in my side," said Reyes.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Nostroke said:
Apparently Efren's win was due to luck once more which he readily admits time after time. Here is the quote

" I am just lucky because the ball is in my side," said Reyes.

That's one lucky sumbich :p

Eric

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Yup, Efren got lucky again.
"Swerte lang ang pagkapanalo ko" as he usually says.

O

onepocketchump

Andrew Manning said:
You hear so much hyperbole about Efren on this site that it's hard to keep perspective about exactly what kind of player the human Efren (as opposed to the legend of Efren) really is. I often find myself laughing at some of the stuff said about him: he's one of the top 5 3C players in the world (despite not having any documented tournament victories over any of the remotely top players), he beat Garry Kasparov in a race to 3 chess match, and he gave Ronnie O'Sullivan 30 points per frame in a snooker set and robbed him on a tight 12' table (okay I've actually never heard that last one, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear someone say it on this board as if it were the gospel truth).

But the fact that he seems to only be getting MORE dominant at the ripe old age of 51, even in 9-ball, which many refer to as his "worst game" (I guess compared to 1-pocket, 8-ball, and rotation), it just makes me wonder what this guy can't do. It's as if he's determined to silence all arguments against him being the greatest pool player ever.

-Andrew

LOL. I know what you mean but it wouldn't be so funny if the man wasn't SO DAMN GOOD!

I think we need to start an Efren is so tough list to start circulating the internet, you know like the Chuck Norris is so tough that he breaks chainsaw teeth with his roundhouse kicks, type of lines.

Efren Reyes can make Chuck Norris quit karate with one of his three-rail kick safeties.

Efren Reyes can spot Kasporov a queen AND the RAINBOW.

Efren Reyes eats a racks of balls for breakfast every morning and washes it down with a chalk smoothie.

Add your own....

thebighurt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thread should be the Efren is smart thread. Efren was smart enough to let up the 2nd set against Kevins boy Sigel. Efren KNEW a double of goose egg would not have looked good. If you guys have not figured out that with 15 balls on the table everybody else is screwed if efren is in the field than WAKE UP!!. If any of you are going to the IPT events this year make sure you take your cameras and take pictures of all the American players because those pictures will be collectors items if this tour is still around in 3 years. In 3 years you will be lucky if there are 15 American players on the list. This will be an Asian tour with the Philipine players leading the way. People don't realize how many CHAMPION level players there are in the Philipines, Taiwan, Korea, China, Japan, not to mention the German players. Kevin will be smart enough to know that pool will never be a big sport in America, it cannot compete against Baseball, Football, Basketball, Auto Racing, Golf. Those are already established and there won't be any room for pool. The reason poker took off is because of the luck factor involved in which anybody can win. Unfortunately all the luck in the world will not help you beat a champion poolplayer if you don't have top quality skill yourself. Also this is country bought up on action sports, people want action and excitement and pool unfortunately as a sport does not televise good. One thing that would help would be more Strickland type players. Half the peole tune in to see him win and the other half tune in to see him lose and blow up. Like Mcenroe in tennis, he was great for the sport and people say he was a loud mouth and a whiner, yet when you watch the replays he was always right about the calls. Over in Asia pool is one of the top sports and does not have all these other sports to compete against. In Asia the IPT can rule and make money and that is what Kevin is all about

It's George Old Owner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren uses Simonis as a blanket, a wooden rack as a pillow, a cue as a bolster n his bed has 6 pockets..
he also eats 9 ball cereal together w chalk fudge :)
ps : j/k

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's George said:
Efren uses Simonis as a blanket, a wooden rack as a pillow, a cue as a bolster n his bed has 6 pockets..
he also eats 9 ball cereal together w chalk fudge :)
ps : j/k
He may use Simonis as a blanket, but he wears slow nap cloth as underwear. :D