Break Stats -- 2012 US Open 9-Ball, Oct. 2012

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I watched all 37 of the 2012 U.S. Open 9-ball matches streamed by Accu-Stats; they started Sunday, 10/21/12 and ended Saturday 10/27/12.

The conditions for this event included: 9-foot Diamond Pro-Am table, Simonis cloth, Delta-13 rack, winner breaks, breaker racks for himself, 2-ball must be racked at the back of the rack, break from the box, a 9-ball made on the break spots up if it went in either of the two foot-rail pockets, no soft breaking (at least 3 balls must pass mid-table or be pocketed), cue-ball fouls only, jump cues are allowed, and all slop counts (except as stated for 9-balls on the break).

The 37 streamed matches were as follows:

Day 1 (Sun., Oct. 21) -- Deska def. Bollman 11-10, Reyes. d. McClanahan 11-1, Shaw d. Rimawi 11-10,​
Robles, d. Bayaua 11-2, and Karabatsos d. Bryant 11-9.​
Day 2 (Mon., Oct 22) -- Hjorliefson d. Hernandez 11-6, Bartram d. Burford 11-5, He d. Morris 11-8,​
Rota d. Ortmann 11-4, Deuel d. Bennett 11-7, and van Den Berg d. Mistica 11-3.​
Day 3 (Tues., Oct. 23) -- Daulton d. McNaughton 11-1, Shearer d. Bryant 11-6, Alcaide d. Ko 11-7,​
Makkonen d. Bedwin 11-2, Ortmann d. Udischas 11-0, and Burford d. Malaj 11-8.​
Day 4 (Wed., Oct. 24) -- Strickland d. Saez 11-4, Immonen d. Bustamante 11-8, Reyes d. Hohmann 11-9,​
Pagulayan d. Sambajon 11-9, Kiamco d. Bustamante 11-10, and Eckert d. Daulton 11-4.​
Day 5 (Thurs., Oct. 25) -- Archer d. Shuff 11-2, Reyes d. Appleton 11-10, Van Boening d. van Den Berg 11-4,​
Orcollo d. Feijen 11-8, Parica d. Strickland 11-5, and See d. Shuff 11-10.​
Day 6 (Fri., Oct. 26) -- Appleton d. Strickland 11-8, Reyes d. Orcollo 11-7, Jung Lin Chang d. Shaw 11-9,​
Van Boening d. Parica 11-5, and Reyes d. Alcano 11-9.​
Day 7 (Sat., Oct. 27) -- Van Boening d. Pagulayan 11-5, Orcollo d. Pagulayan 11-7, and Van Boening d. Orcollo 13-7.​

The breaking results were as follows:

Breaker made at least one ball on the break and did not foul:
Day 1 -- 51 of 87 (59%)​
Day 2 -- 60 of 99 (61%)​
Day 3 -- 42 of 90 (47%)​
Day 4 -- 85 of 110 (77%)​
Day 5 -- 64 of 105 (61%)​
Day 6 -- 52 of 93 (56%)​
Day 7 -- 41 of 54 (76%)​
7-day total -- 395 of 638 (62%)​

Breaker won the game:
Day 1 -- 45 of 87 (52%)​
Day 2 -- 53 of 99 (54%)​
Day 3 -- 57 of 90 (63%)​
Day 4 -- 72 of 110 (65%)​
Day 5 -- 50 of 105 (48%)​
Day 6 -- 43 of 93 (45%)​
Day 7 -- 34 of 54 (63%)​
7-day total -- 354 of 638 (55%)​

Break-and-run games:
Day 1 -- 13 of 87 (15%)​
Day 2 -- 16 of 99 (16%)​
Day 3 -- 14 of 90 (16%)​
Day 4 -- 36 of 110 (33%)​
Day 5 -- 24 of 105 (23%)​
Day 6 -- 19 of 93 (20%)​
Day 7 -- 23 of 54 (43%)​
7-day total -- 145 of 638 (23%)​

9-balls on the break:
The 145 B&R games include 4 9-balls on the break (0.6% of the 638 breaks). In addition, 5 9-balls (0.8%) were made that went in the two bottom pockets and had to be spotted rather than counting as wins.

Edits: 10/23: updated with the results of Day 2
10/24: updated with the results of Day 3
10/25: updated with the results of Day 4
10/26: updated with the results of Day 5
10/27 AM: updated with the results of Day 6
10/27 PM: updated with the results of Day 7

Last edited:

wrickyb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm watching some of the 2012 US Open 9-ball matches streamed by Accu-Stats; they started today.

The conditions for this event include: Diamond Pro-Am table, Simonis cloth, Delta-13 rack, winner breaks, breaker racks for himself, 2-ball must be racked at the back of the rack, break from the box, a 9-ball made on the break spots up if it went in either of the foot-rail pockets, no soft breaking (at least 3 balls must pass mid-table or be pocketed), cue-ball fouls only, jump cues are allowed, and all slop counts.

The streamed matches I watched were as follows:
Day 1 (Sun., Oct. 21) -- Deska def. Bollman 11-10, Reyes. d. McClanahan 11-1, Shaw d. Rimawi 11-10, Robles, d. Bayaua 11-2, and Karabatsos d. Bryant 11-9.​

The breaking results were as follows:

Breaker made at least one ball on the break and did not foul:
Day 1 -- 51 of 87 (59%)​

Breaker won the game:
Day 1 -- 45 of 87 (52%)​

Break-and-run games:
Day 1 -- 13 of 87 (15%)​

9-balls on the break:
The 13 B&R games on Day 1 did not include any 9's on the break (nor were any 9's made on the break that had to be spotted).

I'll be updating this as the week progresses.

Thanks for the stats - How many fouls on the break (and how many scratches on the break)? The scratches to distinguish against illegal break.

rayshooter22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
soft break?

Funny they even have this rule with the stipulation of getting 3 balls passed the side... On good equipment you don't have to hit a rack even medium speed to get 3 balls passed the side...

Thanks for the stats and good luck to all the players.

Realizm

I love cocobolo cues.
Silver Member
That rule came about cause of Cory's soft break , One year thats all the pro were doing . I know on some tours it's 4 balls .. I even seen money matches that stated 4 past the side pocket... I love that rule , just my 2 cents

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny they even have this rule with the stipulation of getting 3 balls passed the side... On good equipment you don't have to hit a rack even medium speed to get 3 balls passed the side...

Thanks for the stats and good luck to all the players.

Actually the rules seem to be loose, they are saying as long as you do the best effort to hit the break hard, if 3 balls do not pass it is not a foul!!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the stats - How many fouls on the break (and how many scratches on the break)? The scratches to distinguish against illegal break.

The 87 breaks yesterday (Day 1) were as follows:
  • 51 (59%) -- Made at least one ball and did not foul
  • 9 (10%) -- Fouled by scratching
  • 27 (31%) -- Broke dry (without fouling)

No illegal breaks were called.

Last edited:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Does the 9-ball spot up immediately after the break, even if it impedes the path of the cue ball to the lowest numbered object ball left on the table after the break?

This past week at Emerald Billiards we played that it comes up after the break no matter if it impedes the path of the cue ball or not.

In the past, I have played in tournaments where if the 9-ball impeded the path of the cue ball, you waited until after the next shot to spot it up. The reasoning behind that is why should you get penalized for making a ball on the break?

BTW, thanks for the stats...

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
The 87 breaks yesterday were as follows:
  • 51 (59%) -- Made at least one ball and did not foul
  • 9 (10%) -- Fouled by scratching
  • 27 (31%) -- Broke dry (without fouling)

No illegal breaks were called.

Thank you!

Ken

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does the 9-ball spot up immediately after the break, even if it impedes the path of the cue ball to the lowest numbered object ball left on the table after the break? ...

Yes, that's what I recall from the past. No 9's had to be spotted yesterday on the streamed matches.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Post #1 has been updated with the results from Tuesday (Day 3).

All the streamed matches on Day 3 were on the one-loss side except the Alcaide/Ko match.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Stats

AtLarge : TYVM for the stats.

I'm gonna guess that you will be too high. I'll say 19 -22%.

The typical mean standard is @20%

3-4 % For nine-snap so even with the corner pocket count, they are a little low.

Kudos to the table mechanics !
I'm curious any PRO's will complain about the same table,IF there is one.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Post #1 has been updated with the results from streamed matches on Wednesday (Day 4).

The play on Day 4 was at a high level, and the break stats reflected that. The breaker made at least one ball and did not foul on 77% of the breaks!!! Several of the players were dialed in to making the wing ball with a medium-hard cut break. The frequency of break-and-run games doubled to 33% on Day 4 compared to the earlier days!

Much could be said about several exciting matches, but I'll just mention the play of Ralph Eckert in the last match of the night -- one that ended up not being close. After a lackluster start to the match, Ralph found himself behind 2-4. Shannon broke dry in Game 7, and Ralph then won 9 games in a row with superb play, including 6 B&R games (a singleton and a 5-pack)!

May the final three days be as good as Day 4!

Tobermory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear At Large--

I think you might have to add to your list of playing conditions the fact that the TV table is dried out by the strong lights. By some oversight on the part of tournament directors, I have never been put on the TV table at a tournament, but I'm wondering if the TV table might play a little like a heated billiard table. I've noticed that on it the pros are likelier to overrun their position than to come up short. It would be interesting to compare your statistics to similar data collected from one of the non-TV tables. I realize that you are not in a situation to do that.

Thanks much for your statistics. It will be fun to see how they may change as the tournament progresses into the later rounds. We'll have ever stronger match-ups and therefore, presumably, stronger breakers, but then there will be less slide from the new cloth.