Space Billiard NYC

mattkenefick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are pool tables there, but it's more of a club hangout than a real pool hall.

1541-1524426007o-4.jpg

865-1524422011o-5.jpg

If you're looking for somewhere a bit more serious to play, you should checkout:

Society Billiards on 10 E. 21st St.

Jon Smith is the house pro here. It's underground, dark, and sometimes the music is a little distracting. Not my favorite place, but they have great tables and great players.

or

Amsterdam Billiards on 110 E. 11th St.

Tony Robles and Hunter Lombardo are the main pros here... but you get plenty of people dropping in regularly. You can't really go wrong with Amsterdam other than the fact it can be hard to get a table on certain days/times. Definitely where you should go IMO though.

Last edited:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Thanks. I have played at Society and Amsterdams before and will no doubt be back there in the next few days.
Space is just a block away so I may forget about the jet lag and check it out.

nycdarkness

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not worth the hassle. I went there a lot as teenager to drink, but the tables not meant for actual pool players. There aren't that many real pool halls. Even amsterdam and society are the same. Bar first pool second. Music is so loud at society good luck focusing.

Make it to stienway, carom or gotham. I live in manhattan and I can't stand abc or society.

Jeff Rosen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are pool tables there, but it's more of a club hangout than a real pool hall.

1541-1524426007o-4.jpg

865-1524422011o-5.jpg

If you're looking for somewhere a bit more serious to play, you should checkout:

Jon Smith is the house pro here. It's underground, dark, and sometimes the music is a little distracting. Not my favorite place, but they have great tables and great players.

or

Tony Robles and Hunter Lombardo are the main pros here... but you get plenty of people dropping in regularly. You can't really go wrong with Amsterdam other than the fact it can be hard to get a table on certain days/times. Definitely where you should go IMO though.
Also you can take a fast train ride to Steinway. Take the "M" or the "R" to Steinway Street (or the "E" to Queens Plaza and change for the "M" or "R") and the room is only a block and a half from the station. You might even see Earl practicing.

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Space has Hollywood tables, and the time last time I checked rates were $17/hr, regardless of the number of players.

It's a novel little room tucked away in K-town, but for serious play you should seek elsewhere.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

1541-1524426007o-4.jpg

865-1524422011o-5.jpg

or

There is something very compelling about at least one of the pictures you posted.

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Space has Hollywood tables, and the time last time I checked rates were $17/hr, regardless of the number of players.

It's a novel little room tucked away in K-town, but for serious play you should seek elsewhere.

Why would anyone pay somebody's hourly wages to play pool on mediocre tables? Glad I don't go there. Plenty of great recommendations in this thread.

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not worth the hassle. I went there a lot as teenager to drink, but the tables not meant for actual pool players. There aren't that many real pool halls. Even amsterdam and society are the same. Bar first pool second. Music is so loud at society good luck focusing.

Make it to stienway, carom or gotham. I live in manhattan and I can't stand abc or society.

What is so bad about Amsterdam and Society ? I prefer Amsterdam and Society music is loud sometimes, but I like both and Steinway.

All 3 have quality tables, balls and good regular players. The big difference I see is in the non serious pool player customers. There locations are a part of it.

Last edited:

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is so bad about Amsterdam and Society ? I prefer Amsterdam and Society music is loud sometimes, but I like both and Steinway.

All 3 have quality tables, balls and good regular players. The big difference I see is in the non serious pool player customers. There locations are a part of it.

I'm with you. Always strong players at Amsterdam, and easy to get a friendly game.

NastyNate13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I frequent Amsterdam and Gotham Billiards and prefer Gotham.

Gotham is my second home (I play out of Staten Island) has beautiful Diamond 9 fts and a lot of them, along with a Bigfoot and there's always some guys looking for action.

Amsterdam is a great place but it is a tad pricey and not a huge fan of the bucket Brunswicks they have.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
What kind of atmosphere are you looking for? Space caters to the bangers from k-town. Its the place I would go with non-pool playing friends after some Korean style BBQ or Soondubu.

Do you want top notch equipment, never ending chalk, house staff that can sympathize why you have to replace your kamui extra soft every two weeks then check out Amsterdam and Society.

Society have Diamond tables, but if the music is too loud or modern then head over to Amsterdam. If you're looking for tournaments or action, then go to Steinway in Queens. Ask for Finnegan.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Show this picture at Space and likely comment
Hannah Seyo!

Show this picture at Amsterdam on 8-ball team night
Who's your new teammate and where did she get her Hello Kitty chalk?

Show this picture at Amsterdam on Team 9-ball night
likely comment is "her bridge is too loose, arm isn't relax, and if she is a D+ then she's over ranked"

Attachments

• 865-1524422011o-5.jpg
    865-1524422011o-5.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I frequent Amsterdam and Gotham Billiards and prefer Gotham.

Gotham is my second home (I play out of Staten Island) has beautiful Diamond 9 fts and a lot of them, along with a Bigfoot and there's always some guys looking for action.

Amsterdam is a great place but it is a tad pricey and not a huge fan of the bucket Brunswicks they have.

Never been to Gotham, but hear good things. It's a little too far for me since I can get to Amsterdam, Society or Steinway in 20 minutes or less.

Amsterdam location in Manhattan drives up their pricing. Like most places, regular customers are treated well.

nycdarkness

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never been to Gotham, but hear good things. It's a little too far for me since I can get to Amsterdam, Society or Steinway in 20 minutes or less.

Amsterdam location in Manhattan drives up their pricing. Like most places, regular customers are treated well.

Amsterdam is fine if you go during the day. If you late forget it. The music gets quite loud, the tables could be kept in better condition. I use to go to ABC lot back when it was West and east Amsterdam. West Amsterdam being awesome. After they merged and moved to usq, it just not what it use to be. Sure there are good players at amsterdam but their priority is people who go and drink. If you play league at ABC you know all about the bs that league players deal with. Rent needs to be paid I get it but the place isn't what it use to be since the move.

NastyNate13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amsterdam is fine if you go during the day. If you late forget it. The music gets quite loud, the tables could be kept in better condition. I use to go to ABC lot back when it was West and east Amsterdam. West Amsterdam being awesome. After they merged and moved to usq, it just not what it use to be. Sure there are good players at amsterdam but their priority is people who go and drink. If you play league at ABC you know all about the bs that league players deal with. Rent needs to be paid I get it but the place isn't what it use to be since the move.

I can attest to this, even though the wait staff is pretty top notch.

I play in the 14.1 league on Mondays and you don't know how many times European couples or teenagers will pull my cue off my table to use while I'm at the bathroom lol.

Never been to Society but Steinway is pretty legit.

Gorramjayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah the problem with Space Billiards is it's crowded, noisy, expensive... It's good that it's open very late, I used to live nearby. But it's also unfortunately a popular date spot especially on the weekend (okay fine yes I've been there on a date, I was part of the problem) But even weeknights after 9pm it gets pretty crowded.

So they will get annoyed at a single player trying to get on a table during peak hours. Which they shouldn't be that annoyed, when it gets crowded you get put on a waiting list to get a table and sit at the bar, which is why I no longer take dates there, because the money you burn through at the bar is ridiculous. They'd make more keeping real pool players hogging the table and keeping people on dates waiting at the bar. Great food in the neighborhood though, so there's that.

I occasionally play at Amsterdam in the daytime and it's nice and low-key. Gotham and Society are probably the best tables in the city but Gotham might be a bit of a hike on public transport if you're staying in Manhattan. Very low table rates though. The good news is it's fast to get to Gotham on the N from where you are.. The bad news is the N is shut down coming the other way, you have to ride it out to Coney Island and then back in. I rarely made it to Gotham when I lived in the city but now that I live in Brooklyn with a car that's one of my favorite pool halls. Another one that would be quick to get to from you is Brownstone Billiards (Also called Ocean's 8), just a few stops on the Q, but only a few of the tables are in decent shape and it can get a little dicey on weekends. Also I believe on weekends they don't let singles play after 7, they'll charge you for two players on a table.

There's some snooker and even Russian Pyramid out in Bay Ridge if you want to take a tour of some sketchy neighborhoods.

NastyNate13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah the problem with Space Billiards is it's crowded, noisy, expensive... It's good that it's open very late, I used to live nearby. But it's also unfortunately a popular date spot especially on the weekend (okay fine yes I've been there on a date, I was part of the problem) But even weeknights after 9pm it gets pretty crowded.

So they will get annoyed at a single player trying to get on a table during peak hours. Which they shouldn't be that annoyed, when it gets crowded you get put on a waiting list to get a table and sit at the bar, which is why I no longer take dates there, because the money you burn through at the bar is ridiculous. They'd make more keeping real pool players hogging the table and keeping people on dates waiting at the bar. Great food in the neighborhood though, so there's that.

I occasionally play at Amsterdam in the daytime and it's nice and low-key. Gotham and Society are probably the best tables in the city but Gotham might be a bit of a hike on public transport if you're staying in Manhattan. Very low table rates though. The good news is it's fast to get to Gotham on the N from where you are.. The bad news is the N is shut down coming the other way, you have to ride it out to Coney Island and then back in. I rarely made it to Gotham when I lived in the city but now that I live in Brooklyn with a car that's one of my favorite pool halls. Another one that would be quick to get to from you is Brownstone Billiards (Also called Ocean's 8), just a few stops on the Q, but only a few of the tables are in decent shape and it can get a little dicey on weekends. Also I believe on weekends they don't let singles play after 7, they'll charge you for two players on a table.

There's some snooker and even Russian Pyramid out in Bay Ridge if you want to take a tour of some sketchy neighborhoods.

Table 22 (or 23?) is the best hustler table around at Brownstone. Pretty sure those pockets are all different shapes and sizes but are all under "4 lol. Good for one pocket defintely.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Stienway and Gotham are the two best players rooms in the city. Skyline gets an honorable mention in that category. If you want something more social, Amsterdam is fun but you're still able to play serious.

Society isnt on my radar anymore. Music is too damn loud, people dancing, prices are stupid... Just more of a date night place. And their fued with Amsterdam people is stupid. Owners punching people lol no thanks.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Stienway and Gotham are the two best players rooms in the city. Skyline gets an honorable mention in that category. If you want something more social, Amsterdam is fun but you're still able to play serious.

Society isnt on my radar anymore. Music is too damn loud, people dancing, prices are stupid... Just more of a date night place. And their fued with Amsterdam people is stupid. Owners punching people lol no thanks.

Good info, thanks.

I will make the trek to Amsterdams today and meet my son who lives near by.
Thanks for all the great advice, I'm a fool for the city.