SVB def Michas and Berrisford
Madenjian def Jewett and Berrisford
Jewett def Michas and Berrisford
SVB 2-0 Madenjian 2-0 Jewett 2-1 Michas 0-2 Berrisford 0-3

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Congrats to Bob Jewett for just defeating Shane Van Boening 125-81 in the group stage!

The match went as follows, inning by inning (J7, e.g., means Jewett's 7th inning):

J1 -- opening safety, left no shot
V1 -- safe

J2 -- safe
V2 -- safe, leaving an easy break shot sending the CB off the foot rail into the pack

J3 -- made 1, then missed a thin cut (1-0)
V3 -- ran 13, then missed the break shot (1-13)

J4 -- ran 25, then missed a long shot to the head of the table (26-13)
V4 -- ran 4, then missed a secondary break shot (26-17)

J5 -- ran 5, then missed a shot to the side (31-17)
V5 -- missed a fairly easy shot to the side

J6 -- ran 8, then missed the break shot (39-17)
V6 -- ran 10, then missed an easy shot to the side (39-27)

J7 -- ran 29, then missed a shot to the side (68-27)
V7 -- ran 25, but got bad position and missed a combo (68-52)

J8 -- ran 32, then missed a long shot to the head (100-52)
V8 -- ran 3, got stuck on the pile and took an intentional foul (100-54)

J9 -- intentional foul (99-54)
V9 -- intentional foul (99-53)

J10 -- safe, left a shot to the side
V10 -- ran 4, then missed an easy shot to the foot (99-57)

J11 -- ran 1, then made the next ball but scratched in the side off another ball
V11 -- ran 25, then scratched making a real thin cut shot (99-81)

J12 -- ran 26 and out (125-81)

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
5 people in each bracket. 3 get into next round...Matches at 4, 6, and 8. Too many players left to call. Ball count is going to be a factor. Several players may end up 2-2.
group 1
Alex is in Rosenberg is out.

group 2
Dennis O is in Mosiman is out

group 3
Maynard is out. Everyone else has a chance.

group 4
Jewette in Berrisford out.

High runs Thursday Alex 88 and out Friday Alex 125 and out, Barouty 98.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... High runs Thursday Alex 88 and out Friday Alex 125 and out, Barouty 98.

Thanks for the info you are posting. Looks like you may be off on the days, as Alex's 125 was yesterday (Thursday).

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Very nice match by Bob Jewett... I really enjoyed watching.

Thanks. That was definitely the best I've played in a while although I had a 52 against Michas.

J7 (AtLarge's listing above) was a careless miss just before a good break ball -- the pockets are pretty easy. J10 was stupid -- I didn't have to drive the OB to a cushion as SVB was already on two and I was not, and I drove it about a foot too far to a shootable position. Technically V11 did not end in a scratch.

shasta777

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just checking...

Any word on how the young kid is doing.... Kyle Pepin? I only saw one score that was showing him at 110.... did he shoot just one match? Any info is appreciated...

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Any word on how the young kid is doing.... Kyle Pepin? I only saw one score that was showing him at 110.... did he shoot just one match? Any info is appreciated...

Pepin just lost to Hohmann, who ran 106. Game score 125-34.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Thanks. That was definitely the best I've played in a while although I had a 52 against Michas.

J7 (AtLarge's listing above) was a careless miss just before a good break ball -- the pockets are pretty easy. J10 was stupid -- I didn't have to drive the OB to a cushion as SVB was already on two and I was not, and I drove it about a foot too far to a shootable position. Technically V11 did not end in a scratch.

Nice game, Bob.

Attachments

• 13071828_10153443096206496_3898288842972330121_o.jpg
    13071828_10153443096206496_3898288842972330121_o.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 324
Bob, this is the best news I've read on this forum in a looooooong time. So impressive. Congratulations on a spectacular achievement.

Randy G

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congratulations, Mr. Jewett!

Great job by a great patron and student of the game.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Technically V11 did not end in a scratch.

Well, I guess technically it was unsportsmanlike conduct (Shane, rather disgusted, used his cue to stop the CB from scratching). But in a friendly game at the US Open, who's to worry about that, right? :smile: I just called it a scratch. Was Leyman watching? If so, did he say anything?

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I guess technically it was unsportsmanlike conduct (Shane, rather disgusted, used his cue to stop the CB from scratching). But in a friendly game at the US Open, who's to worry about that, right? :smile: I just called it a scratch. Was Leyman watching? If so, did he say anything?

While Bob played great, it was probably to his advantage that SVB not get pissed off by a ticky tack rule violation.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No foul was called. Several players and spectators huddled around John L and asked about the rule. John explained that it is indeed a 15 ball penalty,but again, no foul was called. In a regular tournament the 15 balls may or may not make a big difference. But, when ball count could come into play it could make a difference.
In group 3 three players tied for spots 2 and 3. One player was eliminated by ball count.
In group 4 three players tied for first. . The first place player getting a bye on Saturdays single elim round. Again ball count could have made a difference. SVB won the ball count and ended up in first. Shane would have won on the ball even if he had lost the 15 balls, but he did not know that at the time.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saturday's matches. Single elim. Game to 150.
Alex bye. Mika vs Thorsten 10:30. SVB bye. Tyler Styer vs Dan Barouty 10:30. Warren Kiamco bye.
Bob Madenjian vs Frank Scharback 10:30. Dennis Ocollo bye. Michael Yednak vs Bob Jewette 10:30
Remember this is single elim.

Next round two matches at 1 two at 4. One semi at 6:30, and one at 9. Final tomorrow 200 points at 1.

I am guessing that Mika vs Thorsten at 10:30 will be streamed. This match should be worth the price of admission.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
While Bob played great, it was probably to his advantage that SVB not get pissed off by a ticky tack rule violation.

I was not interested in adding drama to the situation. As it turned out, Shane did not get another shot.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was not interested in adding drama to the situation. As it turned out, Shane did not get another shot.

I guess keeping your opponent in his seat is the best defense. I'm still looking forward to a Jewett/Hohmann final.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see Alex ran 125 and 88. Out of curiosity, if anyone has seen Alex playing, is he playing somewhat classic straight pool or just being a force of nature and having huge runs on pure talent and pool knowledge?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No foul was called. Several players and spectators huddled around John L and asked about the rule. John explained that it is indeed a 15 ball penalty,but again, no foul was called. ...

I don't know whether they are using WPA (world-standardized) rules or BCAPL Rules ("Official Rules of CueSport International").

Under WPA rules it would be unsportsmanlike conduct, but it's not automatically a 15-point penalty. "The normal penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct is the same as for a serious foul, but the referee may impose a penalty depending on his judgment of the conduct." So the penalty could be as minor as a warning.

Under BCAPL rules, it is a deliberate foul, which carries a penalty of "one point for the foul and an additional fifteen points for the deliberate act, for a total of sixteen points."

I like that Bob just accepted it as a 1-point foul and proceeded to run 26 and out for the win.

[Although the fact that it could have affected (but didn't affect) who moved from the round-robin stage to the single-elimination stage gives me pause about that.]

Last edited:

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I see Alex ran 125 and 88. Out of curiosity, if anyone has seen Alex playing, is he playing somewhat classic straight pool or just being a force of nature and having huge runs on pure talent and pool knowledge?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alex and Warren and Dennis are all 100+ ball runners. They are great in not only pocketing difficult shots, but also because they have deep knowledge and superb cue ball control.
Is their 14.1 game "classic", as it was played by Mosconi or Crane? NO.
Hardly anyone today plays that "classic" 14.1 that was played 50 years ago.

But Thorsten and Appleton don't play with those same patterns, either.

Yes, 14.1 is not Alex's best game, but nevertheless he is a world-class straight pool player.