New teaching facility in San Diego, CA

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just wanted to let any poolplayers in S. CA know about a new teaching facility that just opened up in San Diego, where I did an exhibition last Sunday during their Grand Opening. The Monk Billiard Academy has opened, in conjunction with Billiards Direct, to offer private or group lessons, and some great prices on lessons and equipment. Danny Propp has a first class video recording setup, that shows the table from 4 different perspectives, allowing the student to see themselves shooting from almost any angle, including overhead. He can record to a hard drive, and offer the student a customized dvd of where their game is, and what they need to work on. Although named after The Monk, Danny teaches several different methods, and has spent some time with me honing his teaching skills. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this facility for anyone wanting to improve their game. He is also offering his private rooms free of charge to any professional players who come through the area, wanting a private place to practice, and possibly video themselves for personal perspectives on their own game.
Check it out at www.monkbilliardacademyandsupply.com.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Hell has frozen over.
Nice place.
I might drive there to learn the 4 strokes of pool, clicks aiming system and 2-7-2's.

Last edited:

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
considering Billiards Direct is involved, this sounds like an awesome place to me. i dont think i would ever enjoy taking a group lesson, thats why i've always either had an instructor over to my place or went to theirs. but with all that equipment to help a student, thats excellent, should make for a great learning experience.

DCP

RunoutalloverU

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im just going to ask without a lot of comment. What are the details of this place. Any....yes any would be good.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What details are you interested in? One side is a billiard supply business, and the other side is a dedicated teaching facility, with first-rate video recording capability.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

RunoutalloverU

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When is the facility open? Did Tim just show up for the grand opening or will he be teaching there from time to time? Is it open like a pool hall, where you would have resident instructors there and then you charge for people to play? Or will it be like a dojo where you have classes going continually and then people walk in, and they are given a schedule pricing for certain things......okay that should cover about 1/4 of the basic info. I feel like ive taken a crazy pill everytime I try to find info on anything that has to do with buisness AND pool at the same time.

Last edited:

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
Scott Lee said:
I just wanted to let any poolplayers in S. CA know about a new teaching facility that just opened up in San Diego, where I did an exhibition last Sunday during their Grand Opening. The Monk Billiard Academy has opened, in conjunction with Billiards Direct, to offer private or group lessons, and some great prices on lessons and equipment. Danny Propp has a first class video recording setup, that shows the table from 4 different perspectives, allowing the student to see themselves shooting from almost any angle, including overhead. He can record to a hard drive, and offer the student a customized dvd of where their game is, and what they need to work on. Although named after The Monk, Danny teaches several different methods, and has spent some time with me honing his teaching skills. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this facility for anyone wanting to improve their game. He is also offering his private rooms free of charge to any professional players who come through the area, wanting a private place to practice, and possibly video themselves for personal perspectives on their own game.
Check it out at www.monkbilliardacademyandsupply.com.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

As I do not know Tim and Danny nor their systems, methods, and the like; I can only vouch for Billiards Direct. Sounds like a great facility!

Are the playing tables 9-footers?

hilla_hilla

I'd rather be foosing it!
Silver Member
http://www.monkbilliardacademyandsupply.com/

I haven't been there yet, but Dave Chen, one of the owners of Billiards Direct is a good friend of mine. At a Memorial tournament I ran last year Dave and Billiards Direct gave away all kinds of cues and other various products including a Preditor. Dave and his partner do whatever they can to promote pool, which is awesome! :) :) :) Dave told me about the place the other day and said that it's a pretty cool set up and to check it out. I haven't had time to swing over there yet, maybe next week:) .

James

Red Wire... Right Temple
Silver Member
Scott,

Will you be teaching out of this facility often (or ever)? If so, please PM me to set something up.

Thanks!
-James

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
I will be going to San Diego late next week. It isn't clear from the website how big the place is or what cues and equipment they have for sale. Does anyone know the cue lines they sell? I assume it's not a place one can rent tables and play pool, it's just for lessons? If not, how many tables are there? Please let me know as I'd consider checking it out one afternoon.
--Steve

James

Red Wire... Right Temple
Silver Member
beetle said:
I will be going to San Diego late next week. It isn't clear from the website how big the place is or what cues and equipment they have for sale. Does anyone know the cue lines they sell? I assume it's not a place one can rent tables and play pool, it's just for lessons? If not, how many tables are there? Please let me know as I'd consider checking it out one afternoon.
--Steve

I don't know anything about this facility either (see my question to Scott above) but I can say it's on the same street as Hungry Stick, which is a hall with probably 30 tables, both 9' and barbox. Good place to check out and maybe find some cheap action.

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
Nims said:
I don't know anything about this facility either (see my question to Scott above) but I can say it's on the same street as Hungry Stick, which is a hall with probably 30 tables, both 9' and barbox. Good place to check out and maybe find some cheap action.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll try and check it out!

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Runoutalloveru...I think Danny is open 7 days a week, from about 8a-8p. He will schedule lessons at anytime that suits a student. Tim was just there for the opening, but he may be coming back for some clinics...ask Danny. It is not like a pool hall, but is open to professional players or instructors to come and use the facility. For pricing on lessons, etc., call Danny Propp! Check the website.

Corey...There are two 9-foot and one 7-foot Imperial tables. They play quite well, with blue simonis 860 on all tables.

beetle...Not sure of the brand names on cue lines. I think they are more budget-minded than higher end cues. Billiards Direct has another store in LaMesa with different tables and cues than the San Diego store. I met Dave, and his crew, and they seem like great guys to work with!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

RunoutalloverU said:
When is the facility open? Did Tim just show up for the grand opening or will he be teaching there from time to time? Is it open like a pool hall, where you would have resident instructors there and then you charge for people to play? Or will it be like a dojo where you have classes going continually and then people walk in, and they are given a schedule pricing for certain things......okay that should cover about 1/4 of the basic info. I feel like ive taken a crazy pill everytime I try to find info on anything that has to do with buisness AND pool at the same time.

Last edited:

RunoutalloverU

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would you launch an entire website for a pool facility, and then start a thread about it with such little information? And then wonder what people want to know about it? Look I know its completely standard in the pool industry to do this. Where you have a site up, but no info. Whenever you click on a "link," its blank. I understand that in the pool community, outside of the real world this is perfectly acceptable, but why for the love of God, when you post next to no real information, DO YOU WONDER WHY PEOPLE ARE ASKING FOR BASIC INFORMATION!

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sir...I am not connected with, nor an instructor at this place. I just mentioned it as a favor to the owner, who was unaware of this site. If you don't like what you see, then please contact Danny Propp directly via his website, instead of 'bashing' me!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

RunoutalloverU said:
Why would you launch an entire website for a pool facility, and then start a thread about it with such little information? And then wonder what people want to know about it? Look I know its completely standard in the pool industry to do this. Where you have a site up, but no info. Whenever you click on a "link," its blank. I understand that in the pool community, outside of the real world this is perfectly acceptable, but why for the love of God, when you post next to no real information, DO YOU WONDER WHY PEOPLE ARE ASKING FOR BASIC INFORMATION!