Need help...

midnightmark

Registered
I accidentally CRACKED (Split) the BUTT CAP for my Bill McDaniel Cue.
I Missed a shot and " lightly punched" the cue into the carpeted floor and it Split... FYI. To my fellow pool players, Don't do this.

Can anybody repair or make me a replacement Butt Cap w/ McDaniel Logo on it?
(It's the standard "C on top of M" Logo.)

I'm not sure if its Ivory or another synthetic material. But I'LL find out soon.

Or Any other ideas or suggestions ?

Happy New Year to all !!

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member

Cash cues ($) would have been my suggestion but I'm pretty sure they are no longer making cues so I'm not going to suggest anyone in particular but whatever you do make sure you don't leave the repair to a rookie.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I Missed a shot and " lightly punched" the cue into the carpeted floor and it Split... FYI. To my fellow pool players, Don't do this.

I'm not sure if its Ivory or another synthetic material. But I'LL find out soon.

Happy New Year to all !!
what city you located in???????

midnightmark

Registered
Hi Everyone
Thank you for your replies.

Duane,
FYI. I'm in Los Angeles. I know most of the cue makers in my area. Any suggestions ?

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep the cracked butt if you get it replaced. No one can do a McDaniel logo, other than Bill. Cash cues never did McDaniel logo replacements. Although they bought McDaniel's old shop, the logo rights remained with the original buyers of his shop, who moved the whole shooting match to Chicago. They still have rights to produce cues with McDaniel's logo but have not done so.

Last edited:

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Proficient Billiards

Happy New Year to all !!

Contact Proficient Billiards they have earned their excellent reputation. I have used they for a very similar repair and the work was perfect. Be prepared to wait a while they are very busy.

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
You do need help, but not with the cue.

Work on your temperament. Slamming a cue into the ground hard enough to break it, just because you missed a shot??

Either work on your attitude or have someone make 50 butt caps for you.

Missing is part of the game.

Slamming cues is not.

-von

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Call Scott at Proficient Billiards in Pennsylvania. He does fine work[.

This is your best shot!

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member

Work on your temperament. Slamming a cue into the ground hard enough to break it, just because you missed a shot??

Slamming cues is not.

-von

With a 3D printer, one could experiment using different materials for different floor surfaces.

A whole new aspect to the science of the game.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Everyone
Thank you for your replies.

Duane,
FYI. I'm in Los Angeles. I know most of the cue makers in my area. Any suggestions ?

I'd give Kent Davis a try. He does fine work and is a gentlemen.

http://kdcues.com

I did the same thing with my DanBuilt (Dan Dishaw) cue in the early '90's. Fortunately, Dan was (and still is) in business and able to do the repair. I never slammed my cue again. Lesson learned.

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're in L.A. then there in all seriousness are only 2 people to consider, for a timely return, and they're known for a high level of perfection. No one with any ethics is going to counterfeit a McDaniel logo though.
Might be possible to repair the existing crack and leave the original piece intact.

#1 is Eddie Cohen.
#2 is Eddie Cohen.

Kent will take longer most likely.
I'd recommend Ariel to be honest, but his back log of work might leave you hanging a while as well.
Joey Chin might be a good solution for a faster repair time. He works with Ariel.
I've seen a few of his cues, and they're very nice.

Eddie is a true perfectionist.
Hope he is able to help you.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a similar problem. About ¼ of the butt cap cracked off. I tried several types of super glue but it would not hold. So I secured it with clear packing tape wrapped all the way around the cue. Rarely do I even notice it.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
this will not answer your question but just an fyi, what typically happens when a rubber bumper gets hit on the floor is a lot of pressure is created inside the buttcap and sometimes this will break a cap. Think of it acting like a toilet plunger. It doesn't have to be a particularly big hit to do this.

good luck with the repair.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Slamming cues is not.

-von
He's trying to get his cue fixed not lectured by Capt. Obvious. Hope you never say something like this within earshot of a po'd player. You may not like what follows.

Reactions: JC

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I had a similar problem. About ¼ of the butt cap cracked off. I tried several types of super glue but it would not hold. So I secured it with clear packing tape wrapped all the way around the cue. Rarely do I even notice it.

Clean it up and try a clear 2 part epoxy. Needs to be secured well while it's curing. Even though it will set in 5-30 minutes, leave it alone for 24 hours.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Call Bill mc Daniel
tell him how much you love your cue

He might have an extra butt cap

you can offer to pay ,but Bill is really
a nice guy

If not surely someone will make you one,pool cue makers are not fuddy duddy

midnightmark

Registered
You guys have been wonderful. Thank you for the many nice responses. I appreciate the care and attention you've given me regarding this matter. I'm very pleased.

The general consensus appears to be Eddie Cohen or Scott from Proficient.

To PRED : Yes, If I must replace the Butt Cap, I will save the original.

To Garczar : Thank you for BACKING ME up... I felt JimmyCo's comments were a bit HARSH. It was just an accident. No temperament issues here.

To Kickin Chicken : Yes, now I understand about pressure build up. Incredibly, It was just a tap.

To Strmanglr Scott : Yes, Epoxy repair. That's what I had in mind But I'm afraid I'm not too good with my hand. I would rather have an experienced repair man do it. It seems like a relatively easy fix.

To Deanoc : Do you or anybody have McDaniel's contact number ? This would be best. I can send him photos of the damage.

HAPPY 2020 TO ALL !!