List of Living 200+ Runners

Ed Wiggins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cliff Thayer

Not a well known name.
Don't know if Cliff is still around.
Probably the best source of information is Ken "Sarge" Aylesworth, in Las Vegas.

Attachments

• Cliff_Thayer.jpg
    Cliff_Thayer.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,088

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Two very notable omissions are Tom Jennings, who won the US Open 14.1 event in both 1976 and 1977, and the legendary Eddie "Champagne Eddie" Kelly, a BCA Hall of Famer whose best game was 14.1.

Certainly, Frank McGown would have had many 200 ball runs to his credit, as well.

I have personal knowledge of a run of exactly 200 by Jose Parica, as he once mentioned to me that he'd run 200 and out in a gambling match.

A likely 200 ball runner is Ernie Costa, a top ten straight pooler of the late 1970's from Brooklyn, NY.

In addition, to the list of possibles, I'd add:

Bill Dunsmore
Tom Ruocco
Earl Herring

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
Two very notable omissions are Tom Jennings, who won the US Open 14.1 event in both 1976 and 1977, and the legendary Eddie "Champagne Eddie" Kelly, a BCA Hall of Famer whose best game was 14.1.

Certainly, Frank McGown would have had many 200 ball runs to his credit, as well.

I have personal knowledge of a run of exactly 200 by Jose Parica, as he once mentioned to me that he'd run 200 and out in a gambling match.

A likely 200 ball runner is Ernie Costa, a top ten straight pooler of the late 1970's from Brooklyn, NY.

In addition, to the list of possibles, I'd add:

Bill Dunsmore
Tom Ruocco
Earl Herring

Thank you Stu. I was hoping you'd help out here!

The first three players you mentioned - Tom Jennings, Eddie Kelly, and Frank McGowan - they are still around, correct? I know it's very morbid to ask that question, but if we don't limit the list to "alive" then we are really opening a whole can of worms. There is no way we could hope to get a list of every person who ever lived who ran 200, but we might be able to do a decent job of every person currently around who did.

Good calls on the Bill Dunsmore and Earl Herring. I am fairly certain I had already added Tommy Ruocco to the Possibles.

Thanks for the info on Parica.

- Steve

P.S. I also added Ryan McCreesh, as I do remember him telling me he ran 200+ just before last year's Maryland tournament.

Last edited:

Chris_Lynch

I play pool
Silver Member
Richard Pecaroro (known as Richie Pec to most) from Bellmore, NY is a 200+ runner. When I took lessons from him 15 years ago (holy crap, it may have even been longer than that) his high run was 240 and that was on 4" pockets as that's all he plays on. As far as I'm concerned he's the best player that nobody knows.

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
Richard Pecaroro (known as Richie Pec to most) from Bellmore, NY is a 200+ runner. When I took lessons from him 15 years ago (holy crap, it may have even been longer than that) his high run was 240 and that was on 4" pockets as that's all he plays on. As far as I'm concerned he's the best player that nobody knows.

Thanks Chris. I had him as "Pecorino" on the Possibles, I think. I've never met him but Jude has described the legend many times.

Btw, sorry for omitting you on the list of top NYC players who've come close to the mark but haven't quite hit it. You belong there as well. 'Twas just an oversight...

- Steve

Chris_Lynch

I play pool
Silver Member
Dan Louie
Mike Dechaine
Marlon Manalo

Anybody know if these guys would make the list? I would be surprised if none of them have run 200.

Chris_Lynch

I play pool
Silver Member
I don't really belong on that list. Maybe if I actually start to play pool regularly again and concentrate on straight pool I may be breaking the 100+ barrier again but it's been a while since I've posted any runs I'm proud of. Thank you for thinking that highly of me but recent numbers just don't show I'm there.

Thanks Chris. I had him as "Pecorino" on the Possibles, I think. I've never met him but Jude has described the legend many times.

Btw, sorry for omitting you on the list of top NYC players who've come close to the mark but haven't quite hit it. You belong there as well. 'Twas just an oversight...

- Steve

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
Dan Louie
Mike Dechaine
Marlon Manalo

Anybody know if these guys would make the list? I would be surprised if none of them have run 200.

Chris, there is a list of "possibles" in post 2 of this thread. Dan and Marlon are listed, Mike is not. I feel like he hasn't run 200, as I was talking to him at last year's Maryland 14.1 tournament and remember being surprised at his high run. It may have actually been under 100 at the time. He plays great and, just like with Corey, this low number is simply a function of how little time he probably spends playing the game.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
Steve,

I know of 2 candidates.

The first is Rodney (Babe) Thompson, out of Phoenix AZ. I have the pleasure of playing Babe occasionally. I am certain that his high run is over 200, I believe it is 213. At age 69 he can still dab 'em.

The second is Leil (JR) Gay. I don't know if he is still in Phoenix, but a year ago I asked what his high run was and he modestly answered "over 300". After watching him play I would not doubt it for one minute.

Thanks.

Bernie Pettipiece.

I have no doubts JR has run over 300. I used to watch him play when he lived in Cleveland, Ohio.

Another possible is Stevie Moore. I watched him practice straight pool and he was breezing through racks while waiting on him next match.

billbOK

Slow day
Silver Member
Bobby's post in the other thread got me thinking that maybe we should start a list, and see what we can come up with. Just add any names you can confirm to the bottom, with a new number, and I'll periodically adjust the alphabetization.

What I have so far is in the first post.

Any name with an asterisk is either because I can't confirm 100% that he has run over 200 or I can't confirm he is still alive.

I also have this list of possibles:

Eckert, Ralf Yes he did pass the 200+

Facquet, Vincent I doubt that Facquet has run 200+, I've never heard of it... and the frenchies makes noise believe me

Fulcher, Johnni Last summer Jonni was trying to break is record. I was there, he missed at around 160 on his first try. I don't know if he did it since that time. I doubt of it caus he was very busy at his house and didn't play much since.

Kempter, Martin Can't confirm.

See, Huidji Can't confirm.

Stepanov, Konstantin Can't confirm.

Here are some elements ;)

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
Thanks very much Bill... you have been very helpful!

Can anyone chime in on Stalev or any of the Filipinos?

- Steve

berniep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve,

Dan Wallace (a very credible and competant West Coast player in his own right) told me that he personally witnessed Roger Griffis run 304.

As a side note, what ever happened to Roger? Not many players possessed his all aroung skills at rotation, 1P and 14.1.

Thanks.

Bernie Pettipiece.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Jody. Are you saying you know George ran 200, or you think he might have? Can anyone else chime in?

Also, can anyone help out with the Filipinos?

Thanks,
Steve

Didnt george leave us recently? Hope im wrong.

Anyway Steve i saw Karl Sloesen do 208 on a one shim table a few years back.

Karl actually asked me to play some straight pool and i turned him down because i knew all I'd do was rack. A kid popped up and was all happy to "play" him. Karl ran 208 and the kid racked the whole time, never made a ball.

Last edited:

alinco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Steve,

I don't know exact numbers but we should be able to find out. I think Mike Davis has a 239 and Jerry Slivka has a 232. Both were in front of many witnesses - I'll just have to find out who.

Andy

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
Mike Davis's 239 is correct. I'm pretty sure Mike Dechaine has not run 200.