Dream Challenge -Team USA v Team Russia (23-25 Sep2019) 9b/9ft. Winning team $15K

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems like there's a good hope for one more exciting Mosconi cup at the end of November. If team USA succeeds to keep such team spirit we may see another interesting and close battle.

Last edited:

nodeflection

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why is JJ sounding like he is revolutionizing Max's game thru his coaching? Max has heavy knowledge I don't think he has any problem playing HIS game. I would not expect a flat earth guy like Max to play the exact pattern or choose the same shot as a globe earth guy would, that is a great thing. Trying to lengthen Max's stroke makes no sense, at all. Why isn't he trying to force Skyler to have a 10 inch backstroke? Skyler's stroke is as compact as a smart car. The other commentator had to cut JJ off from bashing Max and his form. "Max is Max he's not Jeremy". lmao

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I guess I don't understand the eligibility for Mosconi.
I thought it was the US vs Europe. They may have changed the maps since I was in school but Russia (USSR in my day), was always considered Asia, not Europe. So is it the US vs the world then since they are talking about Gorst and Ruslan in the Mosconi? How long until the US has to play all the beasts from China or the Philippines if it's not just Europe?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I thought it was the US vs Europe. They may have changed the maps since I was in school but Russia (USSR in my day), was always considered Asia, not Europe. So is it the US vs the world then since they are talking about Gorst and Ruslan in the Mosconi? How long until the US has to play all the beasts from China or the Philippines if it's not just Europe?

European Russia is basically everything west of the Urals.
...it has about 77% of the Russian population.
A lot of Russian could trace their origins back to the Viking Rus....
...so many are Scandinavian originally....but a big Eastern influence...
There’s a Russian saying...”Scratch a Russian and you’ll find a Tatar.”

C19B794D-6A85-43D2-B8A6-FF2B69ACDF2E.jpeg

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
West of Urals was always Europe.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... They may have changed the maps since I was in school but Russia (USSR in my day), was always considered Asia, not Europe. ...
No. The USSR was and Russia is in both Europe and Asia. Moscow is in Europe.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

About 77% of all Russians live in Europe. In addition, Russia is of European Slavic origin. Many top Russian pool players play on the Eurotour. Fedor Gorst is the reigning European 9-ball champion. In pool, it's awfully hard to view Russia as Asian.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Who thinks Corey may have played himself off the team?

From a previous post, but I'm revising it and adding to it:

In the Kremlin Cup, Gorst beat Woodward 8-2 and Deuel 8-4. If Johan is paying attention, this Dream Challenge victory by Eberle over Gorst will be judged to be a very big deal. Well played, Max.

The case for Deuel is growing weaker and weaker, as he was 0-2 in singles a year ago at the Mosconi , losing to Ouschan 5-3 and Feijen 5-1. He lost to Alex Kazakis in the quarterfinals at the last World 9-ball Championships by 11-8. At the US Open, Corey fell to Jayson Shaw 11-1 and lost 11-2 to Miesko Fortunski, another one of Europe's best. After the drubbing by Fedor Gorst in the Kremlin Cup, Corey probably has much to worry about, as he continues to show little ability to beat the stars of European pool.

Corey's match with Gorst today, a double hill loss,, will help his case.

As a fan of Team USA, I want the guys who can fight the good fight against the top Europeans. In the past week, Eberle lost double hill to Ruslan Chinakhov and beat Fedor Gorst double hill.

We all know that Deuel is a better player than Eberle, but if we consider the last year alone, it's really hard to justify picking Corey over Max if Johan is basing Mosconi selection on performance. Corey just doesn't seem to get it done against the top Europeans.

I see Deuel on the outside looking in as far as Mosconi selection, but a solid effort at the International would change everything. If Corey's play is ordinary at the International but he's picked anyway we'll know that Max Eberle's inclusion in the matches of the last couple of weeks was just for show and that Corey was always going to be selected.

All of that said, it would be great if Corey rediscovered his form.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Are they not taking on England this year? That was fun to watch last year.

Oh, and thanks for the geography lesson fellas. It's been over 30 years since I looked at a map of that area.
I still have stuff in my garage made in Yugoslavia.

Last edited:

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are they not taking on England this year? That was fun to watch last year.

Oh, and thanks for the geography lesson fellas. It's been over 30 years since I looked at a map of that area.
I still have stuff in my garage made in Yugoslavia.
only reason for the England warmup was the location (England is in Europe too, by the way...heh heh)

there will be some warmup match but its not been disclosed

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
great production. hearing JJ is like getting a free lesson everytime. i would think billy is locked on the US team, and europe should go with ranking top 5, which as of now includes fedor. if niels drops below somehow, i might change my opinion

Hidy Ho

Missed 4 rail hanger!!!
Silver Member
It's a good clean professional stream and Jeremy Jones is the primary commentator. Has been great !!!! High recommend.

Hope this helps.

I love JJ as a commentator and hope there is some money in it so he can continue to do more and more of it.

For this stream, while I appreciate having English commentating, I personally thought having THREE (JJ, Emily and Michael) people in the booth was too much; especially when it seems like all three have different agenda/interest in the match (JJ as vice cap for US team, Emily as Matchroom promotor and Michael as Mr. expert in everything about pool). JJ + one more person would have been much better listening experience. This guy "Michael" seems to know a lot but he just talk too much, IMHO. JJ was steered toward talking a lot more than what I've seen/listened in the past. I prefer more "snooker like" commentating with minimal intrusion from commentators and conversation/focus primarily on the match on hand.

I just finished watching Corey vs. Gorst match and Corey had a ball in hands on hill/hill match and couldn't close it out whereas Gorst came up huge on difficult 7 ball to close it out. Corey definitely has a couple of good chance to win the match and didn't come through.

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think JJ is quite arrogant and spends a lot of time talking about what he would do or what the players should do, which is not really commenting.

Michael did not speak much at all, mostly because he didn't get many chances from JJ.

What's-her-name does not belong in the booth.

I much prefer Freddie + George and upstate Al as commentators. Some of the players like Darren Appleton and Chris Melling were also impressive in the booth at other events.

Julian

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think JJ is quite arrogant and spends a lot of time talking about what he would do or what the players should do, which is not really commenting.

Michael did not speak much at all, mostly because he didn't get many chances from JJ.

I much prefer Freddie + George and upstate Al as commentators. Some of the players like Darren Appleton and Chris Melling were also impressive in the booth at other events.

Julian

I think JJ is good, But he seems to rarely agree with Michael on strategy and almost sounds condescending at times...

What's-her-name seems to be genuinely excited about pool and working her butt off to improve the game, I think it is a breath of fresh air to hear her get excited and be a "fan" in the booth.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Julian

oh come on, really? where will you ever find such insightful commentary that you get from jeremy. hats off to george for stepping up but he is nowhere near the analysis that JJ brings.

but i guess it is in the end a matter of taste, as i have read many scornful comments about great pool (and snooker) commentators through the years

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Julian

I Liked 'what's her name's' enthusiasm in the booth and she hardly spoke at all so i cant see her bothering anyone. JJ talks too much but still way better than most imo.

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's-her-name seems to be genuinely excited about pool and working her butt off to improve the game, I think it is a breath of fresh air to hear her get excited and be a "fan" in the booth.

Yes and no. They are event promoters and their business is to make money, not to evolve the sport. If those interests concide then it's good. But if they thought players insulting one another or changing the rules to something unrecognizable would bring more viewers, they might do it. She already announced they were reducing the shot time at the Mosconi this year. At which point that interferes with the quality of the game is debatable.

Julian