Can you help identify these people?

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Other than Jim Rempe holding his cue, Lou Zhender (front row with moustache), and Jack Jarvis (just behind Lou), I can't identify the people in this shot. I am working on a photo gallery of the 1983-1984 Dayton tournaments and would like to identify as many people as possible in the images. Any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

• Rempe2-s.jpg
    Rempe2-s.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 683

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
The guy sitting next to rempe looks exactly like Danny Shea, The owner of table steaks billiards in denver(sheridan) colorado.

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got to disagree on this one

watchez said:
The guy second from left, bottom row is Louie Roberts.
Thanks for your input, but I'm 99.99% sure that this is not Louie Roberts. I've been working with a lot of photos of Louie during that time period, so I'm confident that this isn't him. Here's a shot from that time period.

Attachments

• Louie.jpg
    Louie.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 616

Hal2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bill,
You are right that's Lou Zhender from Indy in the front row. I worked with him for many years. I knew he played some bank pool. How did he play?
Hal

lesrmoney

Registered
BillPorter said:
Other than Jim Rempe holding his cue, Lou Zhender (front row with moustache), and Jack Jarvis (just behind Lou), I can't identify the people in this shot. I am working on a photo gallery of the 1983-1984 Dayton tournaments and would like to identify as many people as possible in the images. Any help will be appreciated.
The guy holding the Coors can looks like Country Calvin from Ark,and maybe thats Mataya on the far left bottom

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't help you on that one

Hal2 said:
Bill,
You are right that's Lou Zhender from Indy in the front row. I worked with him for many years. I knew he played some bank pool. How did he play?
Hal
You know, I don't think he played in that tournament. Louie was a good bank player, but he wasn't at the same level as the top 9-ball players in this tournament.

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not the dad, though DNA evidence is missing

Hal2 said:
Was Jack Jarvis the father of Mark? They look alot alike.
No, I don't believe that Jack is Mark's dad. But you're right, they do look a bit alike.

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could be Calvin....

lesrmoney said:
The guy holding the Coors can looks like Country Calvin from Ark,and maybe thats Mataya on the far left bottom

That could be Country Calvin, though I don't think it is. But that surely isn't Jimmy Mataya on the bottom row. Here's a shot that has Country Clavin in it. He's just behind Richie Ambrose.

Attachments

• Calvin.jpg
    Calvin.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 571

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
BillPorter said:
You know, I don't think he played in that tournament. Louie was a good bank player, but he wasn't at the same level as the top 9-ball players in this tournament.
I think that statment would assume that eveyone pictured at the tounament had to be playing in it. I imagine there would also be friends and spectaters and even players that didnt enter. Just a thought.

Hal2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bill,
If you can not figure out the names in your photo, let me know and I could call Lou.
Hal

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't worry about calling Lou for the names....

Hal2 said:
Bill,
If you can not figure out the names in your photo, let me know and I could call Lou.
Hal
Hey, don't worry about calling Lou for the names, but do call him to let him know that he is now on the Internet. I'll bet he'll get a kick out of seeing his picture in the gallery and he will probably want some prints. Tell him Bill Porter says "hello." The first time I ran into Louie was about 1980 when he beat me out of $8 playing $2 9-ball.

shag_fu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Randy- Did you mean Judex James? He plays around me quite a bit and I dont see a resemblence except the afro.

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just checking

Grady said:
In the top picture, the guy to Rempe's left is Roy Ruffin.
Grady, do you mean the guy sitting right next to Rempe? He would actually be just to Rempe's right.