Is Shane the new Efren?

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the Wizzard from South Dakota the heir apparent to Efren's throne? He already appears to be the best 9/10-ball player. After his victory over Cliff getting 10-7, 9-7, and not having played that much 1P; will he turn his attention and prodigious skill to the toughest of all pool games, and thereby complete his arsenal? Many of the top players say he's the real deal. The Wizzard may replace the Magician.

Doc

BPG24

Banned
Would you back Shane playing Cliff like that again?

I sure wouldn't, Cliff looked like he was dogging the whole way. Unless Cliff's game has gone down 3-4 balls recently and I missed it.

Shane is awesome... He has a looooooooooooong way to go before he is even in the same breathe with Efren though. IMO

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
gulfportdoc said:
Is the Wizzard from South Dakota the heir apparent to Efren's throne? He already appears to be the best 9/10-ball player. After his victory over Cliff getting 10-7, 9-7, and not having played that much 1P; will he turn his attention and prodigious skill to the toughest of all pool games, and thereby complete his arsenal? Many of the top players say he's the real deal. The Wizzard may replace the Magician.

Doc

I don't think any single player of American players that cut their teeth in the 1900's were better than Efren at his best in an all-around format. Tho you always heard of one or two that didn't get out allot but beat em all when they passed through.

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
I like Efren playing 1P and Shane playing 10 ball. Shane does doesn't have the kind of knowledge Efren has, though it's hard for me to judge.

Of course, all of that could change over the years.

A no-brainer.

Flttracker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cliff / Shane

BPG24 said:
Would you back Shane playing Cliff like that again?

I sure wouldn't, Cliff looked like he was dogging the whole way. Unless Cliff's game has gone down 3-4 balls recently and I missed it.

Shane is awesome... He has a looooooooooooong way to go before he is even in the same breathe with Efren though. IMO

Lets see Cliff put 3 sets on Alex !!!! Shane has a short road to go to be the best ! But thanks for guys like you that bet against Shane when he plays world Champions I'll be stuffing my pockets !! LOL

sizl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gulfportdoc said:

Doc

Doc, I respect you as a person as well as your post, but I am going to have to say that you may be jumping the gun a little.
I lost money betting against SVB against Cliff in the 1P match that you was referring to, but I would definitely bet on Cliff again in the same match.
I realize that you said SVB needs to focus his "chi" on 1P, but IMO he is still far away from obtaining the skill level that Efren has accomplished. That being said, I definitely think that SVB is on the right track, but to even contemplate him taking over the "throne" is a bit premature IMO.

We know Shane is an 8Ball champion, he has the best 10ball break in the game, and he has stepped up and is taking on ALL players in different disciplines. But Efren has been doing it for years(except the break part)
Efren has stood the test of time and continues to be a dominant force in the world of billiards, but IMO Shane would be a considerable underdog in an all-around.
I understand that your question was rhetorical as well as opinionated, and I am pulling for SVB to bring the "THRONE"(if u will) back to the USA, but once again, we will not be able to answer your question until SVB has stood the test of time. IMO

Would I bet on SVB against Efren right now playing 10ball? Absolutely!
Hard to fade his break.:D And he does shoot str8 as well.
PEACE
Todd

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sizl said:
Doc, I respect you as a person as well as your post, but I am going to have to say that you may be jumping the gun a little.
I lost money betting against SVB against Cliff in the 1P match that you was referring to, but I would definitely bet on Cliff again in the same match.
I realize that you said SVB needs to focus his "chi" on 1P, but IMO he is still far away from obtaining the skill level that Efren has accomplished. That being said, I definitely think that SVB is on the right track, but to even contemplate him taking over the "throne" is a bit premature IMO.

We know Shane is an 8Ball champion, he has the best 10ball break in the game, and he has stepped up and is taking on ALL players in different disciplines. But Efren has been doing it for years(except the break part)
Efren has stood the test of time and continues to be a dominant force in the world of billiards, but IMO Shane would be a considerable underdog in an all-around.

I understand that your question was rhetorical as well as opinionated, and I am pulling for SVB to bring the "THRONE"(if u will) back to the USA, but once again, we will not be able to answer your question until SVB has stood the test of time. IMO

Would I bet on SVB against Efren right now playing 10ball? Absolutely!
Hard to fade his break.:D And he does shoot str8 as well.
PEACE
Todd

So how do you think Shane is a dog in an all around? What games would be played? I think he's going to win 9 ball, 10 ball, has a good chancd at 8 ball (yes, I know Efren plays great 8ball but so does Shane). I don't know about straight pool. I doubt he would win banks (but I don't know for sure) and I would say he has no shot at this point in one pocket.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ARM9BALLER said:
Nobody is disputing that he is the real deal, but c'mon now!!!
I agree.

Shane may be the new Alex, but I think Shane is still an underdog with Alex in an all-around competition (hint hint TAR ;)).

sizl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alex Kanapilly said:
So how do you think Shane is a dog in an all around? What games would be played? I think he's going to win 9 ball, 10 ball, has a good chancd at 8 ball (yes, I know Efren plays great 8ball but so does Shane). I don't know about straight pool. I doubt he would win banks (but I don't know for sure) and I would say he has no shot at this point in one pocket.

Alex, I apologize for being so vague in my previous post, as their are several different disciplines that could be involved in the ALL AROUND. First of all, lets base it on the DCC format.......
1) 9/10Ball(i realize 10ball is not in the DCC) (SVB is the favorite IMO in BOTH)
2) 1P (Efren is a BIG favorite IMO)
3) Banks (Efren is the favorite IMO)
Convinced yet? NO? OK, lets continue...

How about I give you a choice between several more disciplines.....
4) 8ball (TOSS UP IMO)
5) 14.1(Efren would have to be the favorite based on the experience level)
6) 15 BALL rotation (SVB has NO CHANCE)
7) Snooker (though I have never witnessed , nor heard of either playing this game, I would have to consider Efren the favorite based on his qball control.

I am pulling for SVB, but as I stated in another post, it is a bit premature to be comparing SVB to Efren.

I do not claim to have any "hook-ups" in the billiard community, but if you do and can set it up, I will let you pick ANY THREE of the above stated disciplines and I would have to bet on Efren. But then again everybody is entitled to their own opinion.
PEACE
TODD

BPG24

Banned
Flttracker said:
Lets see Cliff put 3 sets on Alex !!!! Shane has a short road to go to be the best ! But thanks for guys like you that bet against Shane when he plays world Champions I'll be stuffing my pockets !! LOL

WTF are you talking about?

I don't bet on anything unless I control the outcome... Meaning me playing, not watching.

If you think Shane is close to being the best all around pool player in the world, then put him up against Busta or Efren playing 6-7 different games...

You will see exactly why you are wrong

BTW you do know that Cliff is the one who got 2nd in the World 10 ball Championships right?

Last edited:

tpdtom

Really Old School
Silver Member
Most of the specific points have already been covered, but I think one thing has been overlooked. I vaguely remember when Efren came to this country. I don't know what games he played growing up, or as an adult in the Phils, but 1P wasn't one of them. He took lessons in Chicago and became the greatest player of that game on earth. Maybe he was already a champion at Rotation and 8 Ball , or Carom Billiards or whatever.

Shane is arguably the best 10 Ball player on the planet right now. His break sure is a huge factor but the rest of his game isn't lacking either. Here's my point, He's ONLY 23 ! Give him another 10 or 20 years to become the greatest all around player in the world. I don't think he's going away.

Another thing. I think that there are other Filipinos who play the short rack games better than Efren right now. It really doesn't matter who. Some of them can't get a visa yet to come and play in tournaments. They all want to come. They will too, a few at a time. It'll keep things interesting...Tom

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sizl said:
Alex, I apologize for being so vague in my previous post, as their are several different disciplines that could be involved in the ALL AROUND. First of all, lets base it on the DCC format.......
1) 9/10Ball(i realize 10ball is not in the DCC) (SVB is the favorite IMO in BOTH)
2) 1P (Efren is a BIG favorite IMO)
3) Banks (Efren is the favorite IMO)
Convinced yet? NO? OK, lets continue...

How about I give you a choice between several more disciplines.....
4) 8ball (TOSS UP IMO)
5) 14.1(Efren would have to be the favorite based on the experience level)
6) 15 BALL rotation (SVB has NO CHANCE)
7) Snooker (though I have never witnessed , nor heard of either playing this game, I would have to consider Efren the favorite based on his qball control.

I am pulling for SVB, but as I stated in another post, it is a bit premature to be comparing SVB to Efren.

I do not claim to have any "hook-ups" in the billiard community, but if you do and can set it up, I will let you pick ANY THREE of the above stated disciplines and I would have to bet on Efren. But then again everybody is entitled to their own opinion.
PEACE
TODD

OK, 10 ball, 8 ball and 1 pocket. I think that's pretty even. I'll take Shane in a small sweat bet.

BTW, I agree with your picks. But I also think we haven't seen a guy who is as comfortable winning as Shane is in a long time. He's not afraid to drill somone. It's only a matter of time before he's on top by himself. Granted, he may never get there in one pocket, only time will tell.

sizl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alex Kanapilly said:
OK, 10 ball, 8 ball and 1 pocket. I think that's pretty even. I'll take Shane in a small sweat bet.

BTW, I agree with your picks. But I also think we haven't seen a guy who is as comfortable winning as Shane is in a long time. He's not afraid to drill somone. It's only a matter of time before he's on top by himself. Granted, he may never get there in one pocket, only time will tell.

First of all, I appreciate the fact that we are conveying our views in a respectable manner, without throwing ANY flames. This is the way all threads should play out. IMO Thanks Alex, much respect to you bro'.

Alex, three disciplines that you picked out of the group that I listed was definitely SBV's best chance of winning. But think about that for a minute. Here are your 3 choices for the all around.....
1) 1P- SVB has no chance, IMO. Efren is just too seasoned and his qball control is far superior.
2) 8BAll- I am going to have to make Efren the favorite, because once again his qball control is much superior. And we all know you have to park whitey in smaller places more often playing 8ball. Obviously closer than 1P, but I still like Efren to win this discipline.
3)10Ball- As I stated in my above post, SVB has the BEST break in the game and that would be the deciding factor in this discipline.

This match-up would be one FOR THE AGES, but I still like Efren in ANY of disciplines that I previously posted.

In summation I would like to add, that I think Alex hit the nail on the head when he said "ONLY TIME WILL TELL"

PEACE
TODD

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
gulfportdoc said:

Doc

I think so. It's pretty clear to me he's the chosen one. He has the talent, the desire, the work ethic, and the support structure. He will not self destruct.

It's possible Shane will transcend the pool world and show up in places like Sports Illustrated. What more compelling story than a young man from South Dakota who is respectful, polite, drug free, totally presentable, a world champion and a big money player?

He won't even reach his prime for at least 5 more years, and could well dominate the sport for the next 25 after that.

Chris

The Beginner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If SVB wins the WPC and the IPT 8 ball for half a million first prize and beat reyes on a 15 balls game then you can compare SVB to Reyes....i hope SVB will not be the same as DEUL when he won the US open...it was big expetation from him....but look at him now...he hardly wins a major tournament...i hope SVB will keep his focus on the game and winning major tournaments...money game is nothing if you can't win big tournament.....pls don't disrespect Reyes by comparing him to SVB is just like comparing Crosby to the Great one "gretzky" ...SVB has alot to prove.

BPG24

Banned
Does anyone put Shane currently above these players in an all around event with at least 6 different games?

Efren
Busta
Cliff
Gabe
Alex
Corey

I can go on if needed

Shane is an underdog to all of these guys currently.. Maybe not in 4 years, but definitely now

Last edited:

StoneCold

Registered
There is no other backer of Cliff than me. That being said. Shane showed talent on the pool table that I've never seen. It was an absolute joy to watch him play 10 ball against Alex, and I haven't enjoyed watching 10 ball in a long time. Say what you want. Voice your opinion. Shane is the real deal. If he is in action I am betting the house on him. Just my 2 cents.

Mark