Ferrule length

vLude99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok I'm confused. What is the difference between shafts with a short ferrule and a longer ferrule. I've only shot with cues with a longer ferrule. I've heard mixed comments about it and would like to settle this once and for all. Pros vs. Cons of each, feel of the hit and deflection characteristics.

mr2_serious

BRUTE FORCE BABY!
Silver Member
They say less mass at the tip end will produce less deflection. That's why some ferrules are shorter than one inch. Something like that.

Also some companies core out the middle of the shaft(hollow area) to create less mass at the tip.

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
especially for heavy material as ivory,ivorine-4,ect the shorter the ferrule is the less end mass you have and the lower the deflection.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
masonh said:
especially for heavy material as ivory,ivorine-4,ect the shorter the ferrule is the less end mass you have and the lower the deflection.

Both of my cues are running shorter ferrules...one is an LBM ferrule at 3/4" and the yellow micarta ferrules are at 5/8" each.

The explanation above makes sense as to why they would work...all I know is that they do work, and I am extremely happy with them, and they way they allow my shafts to work for me. I could not imagine playing with a cue with a full 1" ferrule now...they do not even look right to me anymore...LoL. :)

Lisa

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
What is the agrument FOR a longer ferrule. There are still a lot them. Why? Is it the feel?

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
A longer furrule can help you find your aiming point.

A 1" ferrule with the thickness of the tip is close to 1 1/8". This is equal to the radius of the CB. You can use this as a guide when trying to find your aim spot using the ghost ball method. Line the cue up close to the OB to see where you have to hit it. Look at where the back end of the ferrule is. Keep your eye on that spot and that is where you aim the center of the CB.

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
TheBook said:
A longer furrule can help you find your aiming point.

A 1" ferrule with the thickness of the tip is close to 1 1/8". This is equal to the radius of the CB. You can use this as a guide when trying to find your aim spot using the ghost ball method. Line the cue up close to the OB to see where you have to hit it. Look at where the back end of the ferrule is. Keep your eye on that spot and that is where you aim the center of the CB.
So I guess meucci cues are made for playing with the big cue ball.:eek: :D:rolleyes:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have been a 1" rerrule guy for years but recently i have been liking the look of shorter ones, i have played with 2 cues that had them and liked them both. i never did like the look of the 1 1/4" ferrule.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
rackem said:
So I guess meucci cues are made for playing with the big cue ball.:eek: :D:rolleyes:

That could be right. Meucci cues were very popular years ago when the big ball was the only CB used on BB's.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love how threads get started about things that I just experienced recently. Just this past weekend I was playing with a Meucci Black Dot shaft and it had the longest ferrule I ever played with. I thought my Samsara had a long one till I saw the Meucci. It hit very nice though. Was my 1st time playing with a Meucci since the late 80s, and it had a much better hit than I remember. The older one's had almost a glass type feel on contact, this one was just firm and smooth. For a non-standard shaft it hit very close to my Joss.

The shorter ferrules will cause less deflection. Hhowever, I am finding out through experience that less deflection does not automaticaly enable you to make more balls. I went from a regular shaft to an OB1, and dropped a level of play for 3 weeks. Did not seem to do any better with practice. I just could not make a cut shot at more than a few degrees. I am starting to edge toward judging a shaft solely on how it feels when it contacts the cueball and how the taper and diameter feel when sliding along my bridge.

Peer

Norwegian in California
Silver Member
vLude99 said:
What is the difference between shafts with a short ferrule and a longer ferrule. I've only shot with cues with a longer ferrule. I've heard mixed comments about it and would like to settle this once and for all. Pros vs. Cons of each, feel of the hit and deflection characteristics.

Here's a picture of my Parris 2mm ferrule -- this cue has less squirt than both my Z and Z2 shaft cues, (even less than Bob Jewett's ferrule-less Balabushka)

Attachments

• parris-ferrule.jpg
    parris-ferrule.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

Peer

Norwegian in California
Silver Member
AZE said:
Shorter Ferrules FTW, imo.

Since I have no idea what FTW means, I had to look it up... which didn't help much:

FTW -- Face the World
FTW -- Families Than Work
FTW -- Feel The Wind
FTW -- Fight to Win
FTW -- Florida Tax Watch
FTW -- Flying Training Wing
FTW -- For the Weak
FTW -- For the Win
FTW -- For the World
FTW -- For Those Wondering
FTW -- Forever Two Wheels
FTW -- Forget The World (polite form)
FTW -- Forschungszentrum Telekommunikation Wien (Vienna, Austria)
FTW -- Fort Wainwright, Alaska
FTW -- Fort Worth Meacham Field (Airport Code)
FTW -- Forward Towards Wing (Hattrick, online game)
FTW -- Frank the Welder (mountain bikes)
FTW -- Free the Weed
FTW -- Free the Whales
FTW -- Free The Wookies (humor)
FTW -- Free Trade Wharf
FTW -- Future Technology Workshop

-- peer

nthamix

Judd cues
Silver Member
Peer said:
Since I have no idea what FTW means, I had to look it up... which didn't help much:

FTW -- Face the World
FTW -- Families Than Work
FTW -- Feel The Wind
FTW -- Fight to Win
FTW -- Florida Tax Watch
FTW -- Flying Training Wing
FTW -- For the Weak
FTW -- For the Win
FTW -- For the World
FTW -- For Those Wondering
FTW -- Forever Two Wheels
FTW -- Forget The World (polite form)
FTW -- Forschungszentrum Telekommunikation Wien (Vienna, Austria)
FTW -- Fort Wainwright, Alaska
FTW -- Fort Worth Meacham Field (Airport Code)
FTW -- Forward Towards Wing (Hattrick, online game)
FTW -- Frank the Welder (mountain bikes)
FTW -- Free the Weed
FTW -- Free the Whales
FTW -- Free The Wookies (humor)
FTW -- Free Trade Wharf
FTW -- Future Technology Workshop

-- peer

wtf.......:confused:

Hierovision

Dios mio, man.
Silver Member
Typically it is number 8, but often number 9 on your list. Number 8 stems from a gaming background or experience. Number 9 is far less common but is still used. In contrast, FTL means for the lose... as in it sucks. For instance:
Long ferrules are FTL.
This ferrule is FTW:
Zcue9.jpg

Also if someone tells you do "DIAF noob" you could just save time and add them to your ignore list :)